Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you love about MLP and its fandom?

Crazy Misty

The characterization is amazing. These are some of the most realistic characters to show up on kid's tv in years. Most characters stick to their given stereotypes and never break the mold. Rarity would be a bitch because she's into fashion, were this any other show for starters. And Pinkie Pie would never be anything beyond silly and random; but then she gets Party of One, where she is not silly and random (and it is awesome).

Also, the monsters they come up with are awesome. The hydra and diamond dogs look bad-flank. Nightmare Moon was absolutely beautiful. And don't get me started on Discord! And they all just fit perfectly into the pony world.

Plus, you can tell that this show isn't just being made for money. There's a lot of love and effort put into this cartoon, unlike a good chunk of cartoons made these days (won't name any, so that I don't risk stepping on toes). Lauren Faust said in one interview that they've done stuff in Flash that has never been done before. Heck, was considered to be impossible to animate in Flash (like a certain stained-glass animation sequence).

That's all I got.

• Brohoof 3

This show has great animation, simple but compelling plots, great characters, and some genuine humour. Not to mention amazing voice acting and epic music. When the show is sad you're sad too, when it's happy you're smiling along with them - I could go on.

But, do I really need to explain? There's just something about ponies that makes you love them. ;)

• Brohoof 1

When I found fandom, I expected I would enjoy the fan stories and art but would find the actual cartoons too....well, wimpy I guess. But from the start the characterisation was amazing, and the animation/visualisation. There is also a deep humour in everything, and at the same time you can see the bravery, the caring, the jealousy that they are ashamed of, etc, but none of it is laid on with too heavy a trowel and you never lose the feeling that these characters are realistic. They can make you laugh, they can make you cry, and they can make you sit back and think wow. Whilst liking it for the plot is an ironic meme, a lot of the plot is very skilful. There are episodes I don't like, and characters who annoy me, and characters who are great on their own but when in combination are annoying, but in a sense that adds to the realism. Its also very good at making characters who you didn't think you could really care about seem very sympathetic - Rarity is the prime example for me, because any simple description of her would make me immediately dislike her, but her complexity of characterisation makes me like her.

I don't know about what other people think, but I love almost all cartoons, always have. Any time I'm just flipping through the channels on the TV and I come across some sort of animated show I've never seen before, there's about a 95% I'll watch the entire thing. I don't know why, but I've always found animated shows and movies fasinating. Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, Cartoon Network, anime, Looneytoons, Nickelodeon, and many others. I just love animated shows and I love Friendship is magic because the show is utterly brilliant! The characters, the story, the beautiful simplicity of the animation, what's not to love? It's generated this awesome fanbase of exceedingly awesome people that's growing by the thousands. Plus the show is just wholesome. It's not too often, especially nowadays, when you come across something so pure and original. Making someone laugh in a cartoon is easy, but making them smile when you're not trying to be funny is very difficult, and Friendship is Magic pulls it off well.

Edited by ryak
  • Brohoof 2

Making someone laugh in a cartoon is easy, but making them smile when you're not trying to be funny is very difficult, and Friendship is Magic pulls it off well.

Thats very very true. I often see something from Twilight or Applejack or Pinkie and smile at it, when its just them being them and not intended as a joke or humorous aside or anything.

For me, it's all about the characters. They're believable and likeable, with realistic flaws and virtues. Each character is individual and unique, and we are shown different sides to each of them so they never become too clichéd. The storylines serve to illustrate aspects of each pony and are in turn driven by the characterisation rather than having the characters there merely to advance the plot.

In addition, the show is innocent but deep enough to allow the viewer to lay aside his cynicism for the duration of a story without feeling foolish for doing so.

Argh! It's difficult to put into words what I have in my head regarding this.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know about what other people think, but I love almost all cartoons, always have. Any time I'm just flipping through the channels on the TV and I come across some sort of animated show I've never seen before, there's about a 95% I'll watch the entire thing. I don't know why, but I've always found animated shows and movies fasinating. Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, Cartoon Network, anime, Looneytoons, Nickelodeon, and many others. I just love animated shows and I love Friendship is magic because the show is utterly brilliant! The characters, the story, the beautiful simplicity of the animation, what's not to love? It's generated this awesome fanbase of exceedingly awesome people that's growing by the thousands. Plus the show is just wholesome. It's not too often, especially nowadays, when you come across something so pure and original. Making someone laugh in a cartoon is easy, but making them smile when you're not trying to be funny is very difficult, and Friendship is Magic pulls it off well.

I definitely know what you mean! When I see a new live action show I'm like...meh. If it's a reality show I'm a little more interested, but when it cartoons...I love them. Though I don't like grime humor a lot of the time I still will give any show half a chance if I can.

I absolutely love cartoons, since I was a kid I've always preferred cartoons of all kinds over live action shows.

I definitely know what you mean! When I see a new live action show I'm like...meh. If it's a reality show I'm a little more interested, but when it cartoons...I love them. Though I don't like grime humor a lot of the time I still will give any show half a chance if I can.

I absolutely love cartoons, since I was a kid I've always preferred cartoons of all kinds over live action shows.

I am like this too I love cartoons even my parents think that I should watch more age appropriate shows like they watch but I am like nah and watch cartoons all day. This show is so amazing that I don't even have to say anything more.

The only age appropriate shows I watch anymore are anime. And some would even argue that anime itself, no matter what it's rating, is only for teenagers.

But who cares about age ratings? :P

I watch MLP FFS, age criteria hardly matters to me.

watch more age appropriate shows like they watch

Anypony that doesn't think cartoons can be mature hasn't seen enough good cartoons. Or watched/read Berserk.

Edited by hardcore_crispy
  • Brohoof 1

I find that the show has a really good feeling to it. I feel warm and happy whenever I watch an episode. The characters are lovable, the animation and art style are gorgeous, the voice acting and story writing are fantastic, as well as the music. Everything about the show just comes together for me and a lot of the episode hold up as being some of the best in animation history.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I hope no one minds I'm resurrecting this thread but I didn't want to make a repeat...

I love just about everything about the show.

The story is impressive especially for one that was originally intended to appeal to young girls and has had me hooked since episode 1. The voice acting is top notch and the characters sound believable and cute. The animation is very beautiful...and the character's constantly have that "don't you want to stay for brunch?" look in their eyes that never gets old.

And the songs in my opinion put to shame the newer disney movies.

Outside of the show itself, what the fans do with it is amazing, artwork and fanfic all have me busy.

And of course my love for Rarity <3

It's a cute, fun, and innocent cartoon to watch which has good VA's, good writing, cute characters you actually care about, fun humour, completely devoid of what a stereotypical girls' show is made of as opposed of bearing the name My Little Pony, and has a overall feel-good atmosphere to it. It's a show that's just plain fun to watch and doesn't have any loldumb humor or cynical elements to it, further increasing it's overall appeal. Edited by Viscra Maelstrom
  • Brohoof 1

In a fairly bleak world filled to the brim with violence, angst and drama in both entertainment and reality, MLP's relative pureness is a bloody breath of fresh air.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Now, I am not a brony, or a fan, or anything, but I have seen a few episodes of the show, as recommended to me by my friend, flare03, but I can't see the appeal.

I find most of the characters, bar Fluttershy, to be quite irritating, and in-your-face. Pinkie Pie especially, but I've been told that this is a common opinion. Why do you find them appealing/likable?

The story hardly fits a world inhabited entirely by ponies, and is barely revisited.

The humour is not funny. I found it juvenile, along with the characters. The memes slipped in to "Appease the older, brony community" have failed to be funny. Others, I've heard, have been slipped in excessively and wear thin.

Whilst, I admit, I am greatly biased against the show, I've watched it, and whilst the show itself is not bad, I found it to be quite average, and yet it has a huge following. Now I've been told multiple times that "X number of fans can't be wrong", but this show can be easily criticised.

So, not as a fan, or a brony, or anything, where is this show's appeal?

Sounds to me like your distaste for the show has been sparked not from the show itself but from somewhere else.

Perhaps, but I've seen the show, did not see the appeal, saw the huge fanbase, asked you here.

Edited by Kaleado

I've seen the show, did not see the appeal, saw the huge fanbase, asked you here.

How were you introduced to the show?

Sounds to me like you watched it only because it was being tossed in your face.

BTW: Welcome to the forums.

I personally don't find the characters irritating. Unlike a lot of American cartoons, the characters each have a distinct and unique personality. Pinkie Pie can be irritating, but in real life lots of people have friends that can also be annoying, but still be peole you care for. You know what? Instead of continuing in a point by point analysis, I'll just say I think it's a lot of fun to watch. The stories are interesting, and the artwork is pleasing with plenty of cute and colorful characters. I do want to ask one question of you though. If you don't like the show, why did you take the trouble to come here and post what many will see as a blatant attempt at trolling?

I'm just curious about that. I don't like sports, but I don't go to sports forums and ask people why they like something I don't. Why do you care? Just watch something else.

• Brohoof 1

How were you introduced to the show?

Sounds to me like you watched it only because it was being tossed in your face.

BTW: Welcome to the forums.

Of course it was tossed in my face. I hear about it all the time, so I watched it and questioned it's appeal.

And thanks for welcoming me to the forums.

I personally don't find the characters irritating. Unlike a lot of American cartoons, the characters each have a distinct and unique personality. Pinkie Pie can be irritating, but in real life lots of people have friends that can also be annoying, but still be peole you care for. You know what? Instead of continuing in a point by point analysis, I'll just say I think it's a lot of fun to watch. The stories are interesting, and the artwork is pleasing with plenty of cute and colorful characters. I do want to ask one question of you though. If you don't like the show, why did you take the trouble to come here and post what many will see as a blatant attempt at trolling?

I'm just curious about that. I don't like sports, but I don't go to sports forums and ask people why they like something I don't. Why do you care? Just watch something else.

You think I would go to the effort to make an account just to troll? I deal with people talking about this every day, and so, looked at it for myself. You can ask Flare03, he told me to make an account and ask.