Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you love about MLP and its fandom?

Crazy Misty

I told kaleado to get an account to find out why everyone likes this show, I would tell him that I did for reasons and that if he doesn't believe them he should make an account on the best MLP community forum and ask them where they find there appeal to the show, because I tried to tell him, but he didn't like my reasons.

he is not trolling just asking a legit ment question that I couldn't answer for my self.

My old forum name was flare03 but I changed it to flare yesterday

Edited by Flare

Come on, I did my best to criticise the show reasonably, rather than exaggerating things. Keep in mind this is my opinion only.

Edited by Kaleado

Part of it derives from the fact that it's entirely different to what one would expect from a My Little Pony series. Usually cartoons targeted at young girls lack any sort of depth, character development or interesting story lines - they conform to a wholly sexist cookie cutter that renders them boring in every conceivable way. MLP: FiM breaks this mould by having characters that are distinct from one another, interact compellingly, and actually develop over time. None of the characters in the show really conform to a "girly" stereotype - the closest you get is Rarity, who is differentiated from the obsessive consumers of fashion that characters in these shows are often portrayed as by being a fashion designer herself. She's also the best pony.

But really you can't underestimate the influence of the fanbase itself. The sheer amount of artistic talent and effort that has been put into making ancillary material - fan fictions, drawings, animations, songs - is astounding, and this fanmade art is often of extremely high quality. The fact that MLP: FiM has a very accepting, compassionate, and artistically energetic fanbase keeps people interested.

• Brohoof 5

Part of it derives from the fact that it's entirely different to what one would expect from a My Little Pony series. Usually cartoons targeted at young girls lack any sort of depth, character development or interesting story lines - they conform to a wholly sexist cookie cutter that renders them boring in every conceivable way. MLP: FiM breaks this mould by having characters that are distinct from one another, interact compellingly, and actually develop over time. None of the characters in the show really conform to a "girly" stereotype - the closest you get is Rarity, who is differentiated from the obsessive consumers of fashion that characters in these shows are often portrayed as by being a fashion designer herself. She's also the best pony.

But really you can't underestimate the influence of the fanbase itself. The sheer amount of artistic talent and effort that has been put into making ancillary material - fan fictions, drawings, animations, songs - is astounding, and this fanmade art is often of extremely high quality. The fact that MLP: FiM has a very accepting, compassionate, and artistically energetic fanbase keeps people interested.

Alrighty, I've heard the fanbase is welcoming from Flare, but one cannot say that a show is good simply because it doesn't conform to a stereotype. Personaly, I found Rarity more interesting than the others, yet still rather uninteresting. Whilst I greatly commend the show for breaking free from this stereotype, again, just this can't make it good.

Yes, I can comprehend that people's opinions will differ from mine, but what am I missing about this show that everyone else seems to see?

I can't agree more,

take a look at

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJLL-DNu3P4

The animation and voice acting is like on par with the actual show! and there are many more examples!

The community has its mix of bad people and good people, but the good people out way the bad.

Edited by Flare
  • Brohoof 1

I believe Krall presents the argument quite nicely.

To me, as well as many others, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, is a welcome breath of fresh air to a stagnant market.

The series doesn't adhere to either male or female stereotypes, but instead settles itself in a mid-ground that has attracted such a diverse and varying fan-base that I never previously would have thought possible.

What really caught my attention to MLP:FIM, is that the show possesses some of the most unique and distinctive animation styles out there today, in comparison to other cartoons of similar nature. Take these screenshots for example.

Posted Image

While many animation series tend to recycle backgrounds to the point where they appear indistinctive, in almost every scene within the MLP series, there is a degree of variance; houses manage to appear analogous yet distinguishable in their own right, and add to the depth and beauty of each scene.

Sure, you could argue that I'm rambling about features that one doesn't necessarily focus on in a cartoon, but honestly, that's what most bronies love to do. We love to pick apart scenes right down to the tiny details, heck, even the animators of the show recognised this and regularly chuck in little easer eggs for our community to find!

All in all, Hasbro has brought a welcome and innovative change to the field of cartoon animation, and the fact that this came for the last franchise I would have ever imagined, makes it all the more commendable.

Edited by Swoop
  • Brohoof 3

No offense but if you watch a show with the intention of saying how bad it is and not out of genuine interest then you are likely gonna end up as you are now, not seeing anything good in the show.

I didn't watch the show to say how bad it is. I watched it for two reasons:

1. I hear about it all the time.

2. I wanted to give feedback on my thoughts.

If I thought the show was bad, why would I watch it?

Alrighty, I've heard the fanbase is welcoming from Flare, but one cannot say that a show is good simply because it doesn't conform to a stereotype. Personaly, I found Rarity more interesting than the others, yet still rather uninteresting. Whilst I greatly commend the show for breaking free from this stereotype, again, just this can't make it good.

Yes, I can comprehend that people's opinions will differ from mine, but what am I missing about this show that everyone else seems to see?

Well, a lot of the things you dislike about the show, we like. You fine the humour and references unfunny, we find them funny; you find the characters uninteresting and irritating, we find them compelling and relatable; and so forth. In addition to this there are a lot of little reasons that cumulate to make the show more appealing - good voice acting, enjoyable and memorable songs, nice artstyle, attention to detail - all of these make MLP:FiM more interesting to watch for us.

Edited by Krall

I didn't watch the show to say how bad it is. I watched it for two reasons:

1. I hear about it all the time.

2. I wanted to give feedback on my thoughts.

I highly doubt you watched your first episode with any intentions of being open minded.

You wanted to give feedback...I'm sure you did but I doubt you ever planned on doing more than criticizing the show.

Because that's what every other hater does... Edited by Lady Rarity Pony

I highly doubt you watched your first episode with any intentions of being open minded.

You wanted to give feedback...I'm sure you did but I doubt you ever planned on doing more than criticizing the show.

Because that's what every other hater does...

I have given you my thoughts on the show, and I am therefore a hater? I wasn't overly critical of the show. I pointed out certain points which, in my opinion, weren't good. I can easily praise the show, I'm just asking what the huge appeal is.

If you want me to praise the show, I can.

I have given you my thoughts on the show, and I am therefore a hater? I wasn't overly critical of the show. I pointed out certain points which, in my opinion, weren't good. I can easily praise the show, I'm just asking what the huge appeal is.

If you want me to praise the show, I can.

Even if Flare invited you here, you are still on pony forums doing nothing but talking bad about what is the center of the community.

Maybe that might help you understand why you might be interpreted as a hater or troll...

Even if Flare invited you here, you are still on pony forums doing nothing but talking bad about what is the center of the community.

Maybe that might help you understand why you might be interpreted as a hater or troll...

So I say something bad, and people target me even if what I said was thought out? Very professional.

I praise the show greatly for breaking free of the stereotype that plagues this sort of show, and the fanbase and animation is definitely leaps and bounds ahead of what's expected now. I never told you that the show was a train wreck, or anything, and I was trying to be as tactful as possible, even if you didn't think so.

And I've not done nothing but criticise the show. The show can be praised easily, but you've still not shown me what attracts you to this show? And I mean you personally, I am interested to know. Don't label me as a hater because I don't think the show's a godsend like you do.

I liked the show because its so innocent, ignoring the fact that some of the fan base perverted it (it wasn't so much when i first started).

The show is generally fun to watch, just like how spongebob and simpsons are generally fun to watch. But what i like about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic compared to those 2 mentioned is the quality of My Little Pony, its cute characters and their development throughout the show.

I was hella confused when i first watched the show earlier this year but i gradually liked it even though i am still not entirely sure why i like it, but this is my try at explaining what i still like the show today.

• Brohoof 1

So I say something bad, and people target me even if what I said was thought out? Very professional.

I think LRP's assuming you're a neigh-sayer because you seem to follow the pattern of one - quite a few haters of MLP:FiM troll the fanbase by repeatedly asking what they see in the show and totally ignoring what opinions and evidence the fans give in response. On a related not, both myself and Swoop wrote posts detailing what we like about the show - 'twould be polite to ignore accusations of hatery and respond, eh? ;)

• Brohoof 2

I think LRP's assuming you're a neigh-sayer because you seem to follow the pattern of one - quite a few haters of MLP:FiM troll the fanbase by repeatedly asking what they see in the show and totally ignoring what opinions and evidence the fans give in response. On a related not, both myself and Swoop wrote posts detailing what we like about the show - 'twould be polite to ignore accusations of hatery and respond, eh? ;)

Yes, a fantastic idea.

When I watched the show, I did feel that the characters were very distinct form each other, and followed quirks that people commonly have in real life, which is real cool and all, but I felt the characters weren't very subtle, but I haven't had much of a chance to see how the develop, seeing as I haven't watched the episodes in order, rather watching a few here and there that have been suggested to me. Mind you, this is just me, and i can totally accept if you believe something different.

Speaking of which, which episodes would you suggest watching, Krall?

Okay, thanks for being civil and giving me a response. I'll make an effort to watch some more episodes, since you said it was more of a gradual occurrence.

Thinking about it some more, watching it kind of reminds me of Disney movies. Maybe its because of the singing and character developments ¯_(ツ)_/¯

If i may add a recommendation, since you said you showed interest in Rarity, you could probably check out: [season 1 Episode 14 - Suited for Success]. One of my favorite because the character actually seems relatable and real, plus there's a song in it too :lol: Same goes for [season 2 Episode 09 - Sweet and Elite].

Well it looks like Krall cleared that up.

My bad if it looks like I'm trying to label you as a hater simply because you have a different opinion of the show, that is not the case at all. Like Krall said, you followed just about perfectly in the pattern of a troll which is what made me assume that you were not here out of genuine interest.

Sorry if I made your entry into the forums a little rough.

Edited by Lady Rarity Pony
  • Brohoof 1

When I first watched the show I wasn't expecting too much out of it, as I'm sure most people didn't. I quickly learned that the show is well animated, the voice acting is perfect, these ponies have greater personality than most the people I know, and the most important part was that it made me smile. Throughout the first 2 episodes, it touched base with many different emotions, which is something all the best shows do. I even let loose a tear or two in the end after Luna became her normal self again.

After that it was just a downhill ride, I kept watching the episodes until I ran out, then I watched some more again. So far I enjoy watching every episode, except for number 5: Gryphon the Brush Off, cause Gilda made Fluttershy cry :(

Yes, a fantastic idea.

When I watched the show, I did feel that the characters were very distinct form each other, and followed quirks that people commonly have in real life, which is real cool and all, but I felt the characters weren't very subtle, but I haven't had much of a chance to see how the develop, seeing as I haven't watched the episodes in order, rather watching a few here and there that have been suggested to me. Mind you, this is just me, and i can totally accept if you believe something different.

Speaking of which, which episodes would you suggest watching, Krall?

Hmm, I'm not sure which episodes would be best to start with, really. I could tell you to watch what are in my opinion the best episodes in the series, but then all the other episode might not seem so great by comparison, and some of the best episodes need some setting up. I believe I watched the first few episodes of the series, then watched the two first episodes of the second season when they came out, then went back and watched the rest of the episodes in order.

I would definitely recommend starting with the two first episodes of the first season, as it's a two-parter that sets up the initial relationships between the main characters and the basic premise of the show. The third episode sets up the very last episode of the first season, so I'd suggest watching that next. Generally watching the episodes in order is a good idea, as they do actually reference events in previous episodes and sometimes significant, permanent changes do happen.

• Brohoof 1

For me personally I actually have no clue what makes me liek it so much. but when i watched the first episode (with the intention of watching five minutes then leave the room and shout at bronies for liking a show meant for little girls) I suddenly found myself watching the whole thing and clicking next. mightt be the animations/animative style, the plot, happy friendship centered theme, the plot. the widespread personlaities of the main characters, a mix of it all. I dont know. but I do know I find it genuinely pleasing to watch.

Not to mention, the fanbase is amazing. you have all the terrific artists, the ask blogs, the comics, the fanfics (some more disturbing than others>) Big Adventure, tons of fun

Most the fans are also set on a love and tolerance policy so it is surprisingly little flaming going around, at least where I have looked :P)

For me it is an amazing show with an awesome fanbase