Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you love about MLP and its fandom?

Crazy Misty

In fan terms I'm ancient. Why do I like the show? It makes me laugh, the characters are fun, its very quotable, the animation quality is great, the music is generally great (the horrendous pet song aside), the plot is generally enjoyable (I watch it for the plot!) and well, its NICE, you know!

That said, I like some episodes other people don't, and I dislike some which everyone else seems to like, but I put that down to my age

Hmm, I'm not sure which episodes would be best to start with, really. I could tell you to watch what are in my opinion the best episodes in the series, but then all the other episode might not seem so great by comparison, and some of the best episodes need some setting up. I believe I watched the first few episodes of the series, then watched the two first episodes of the second season when they came out, then went back and watched the rest of the episodes in order.

That's exactly the order I did

season 1 eps 1,2,3

season 2 eps 1 and 2

season 1 the rest

season 2 as it is released

Best Regards

Grey Wolf

Speaking of which, which episodes would you suggest watching...?

My personal favourites are not always what other people like so might be useful in that they give a different perspective?

Apart from the openers for both seasons (the 2-parters)

there's Over A Barrel from season 1

and The Cutie Pox from season 2

In fan terms I'm ancient. Why do I like the show? It makes me laugh, the characters are fun, its very quotable, the animation quality is great, the music is generally great (the horrendous pet song aside), the plot is generally enjoyable (I watch it for the plot!) and well, its NICE, you know!

That said, I like some episodes other people don't, and I dislike some which everyone else seems to like, but I put that down to my age

That's exactly the order I did

season 1 eps 1,2,3

season 2 eps 1 and 2

season 1 the rest

season 2 as it is released

Best Regards

Grey Wolf

My personal favourites are not always what other people like so might be useful in that they give a different perspective?

Apart from the openers for both seasons (the 2-parters)

there's Over A Barrel from season 1

and The Cutie Pox from season 2

O man, the pet song was amazing. I hated it the first time but something to it made me listen to it for 5 hours straight while studying, and i gradually liked it the same way i gradually liked the show. But i agree with trying out the first 2 episode of both seasons. I personally watched everything in order and did not mind at all. The second time i watched it in the "correct" order or something similar.

Edited by kanzer713

For me,

the show is just not like other cartoons you find today, now with the title "My Little Pony: Friendship is MAGIC" it can give off a bad vibe from the start, I know that when I fist watched the show I tried to find everything wrong with it..... and i couldn't find it, my ONLY complaint is that allot of the episodes can be cliche, but it makes up for that with the way it tells these stories, not to mention it has a consistent story line and each episode is creative and you watch the characters develop. Not to mention that new cartoons these days make me feel like my IQ is dropping,

But why is it such a big deal, take something like minecraft for example, that has a HUGE community backing it, but I know many people that hate it, every thing that gets popular is like that, now if you don't like the show that's fine, that just means it does not appeal to you, we can tell you our reasons for watching it overall is not really gonna change your mind. Its a show, if you don't like it then move along. People make so much muck over it for it being originally intended for young girls, but another cool thing is how the cast of the show keep in touch of there fan base.

There is nothing bad you can really say about the show, again it may not appeal to you or you may just not be into it, but what's the big deal if we like it? Not everything guys watch has to be full of blood and gore, yes do I enjoy wiping a zombie's head clean off in L4D, you bet, but does that mean that I have to be all "macho" and hate a show because it's was based for little girls and does not have all the violence that we men are supposedly supposed to like.

Now MLP is not my favorite show, its my fave cartoon right next to fosters home for imaginary friends, my fave is A-Team, and again just because I watch a show that whilst may not have much "action" but it's overall production values are wonderful, does not mean I still wont launch up Serious Sam and blow up things, the show has allot of hard work behind and they try to make it very creative and overall they have done a good job of appealing not only the younger audience, but the older viewers as well. They have thrown us many bones, like derpy.

My closing point is that.... its a show..... if you don't like it then you don't like it, just because you don't like something does not mean it sucks and does not mean we are freaks.

That's all I have to say,

-Marco.P

BTW I made a video on me being a brony, but its long, probably not very accurate and you have to listen to my stupid voice, so not recommended, lol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09PLNRmPq-c)

• Brohoof 1

I like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic because I tend to watch pretty much every quality cartoon. It also totally blew my expectations out of the water, as I was as skeptical as anyone could be about it, with its high quality animation and humor. I find myself craving it the way I would a good video game when I`m not around it, something that not many other TV shows at all have done to me. Maybe it`s just the feeling I get when taking things slowly, but I can really tell this show is something special.

Whilst, I admit, I am greatly biased against the show, I've watched it, and whilst the show itself is not bad, I found it to be quite average, and yet it has a huge following. Now I've been told multiple times that "X number of fans can't be wrong", but this show can be easily criticised.

Honestly, the same could be said about anything that has a massive following - Halo, Harry Potter, Minecraft, Call of Duty, etc, all of which I find to be extremely average despite their ridiculous followings.

As for what I enjoy about the show... I find it to be pleasantly silly and lighthearted, and an extremely welcome departure from most other popular media. I agree that it is, in many ways, juvenile, but in my case I like that about it. It isn't amazingly deep (though I wouldn't call it completely shallow, either), and it doesn't have to be.

It is, in the end, like any other show on television - the same things that make it appealing to some will make it unappealing to others.

If you go back and look carefully, I did say...

"what many will see as a blatant attempt at trolling"

It may be a fine line, but I DID NOT call you a troll. I only said that's how people may interpret your post. Your mind was obviously made up before you made your first post. There's nothing anyone here can say that will change it. Why not tell us what kind of animated shows you like? Maybe that could give us a clue as to what specific episode to steer you to.

Of course it was tossed in my face. I hear about it all the time, so I watched it and questioned it's appeal.

And thanks for welcoming me to the forums.

You think I would go to the effort to make an account just to troll? I deal with people talking about this every day, and so, looked at it for myself. You can ask Flare03, he told me to make an account and ask.

I love watching the show, and all the characters are cute and friendly and warm in their own way. They make mistakes, and learn to correct them. the exxagerations are fun, because remember, it's a cartoon! Not a documentery which requires analysis (which is what we end up doing anyways). You have to let loose and remember, it's not real life, though I wish it was.

I like it because it's cute and colorful and happy. Plus when I saw Rainbow Dash and Applejack, I fell in love.

It's entertaining and makes me happy :D

Now, I've watched a few more episodes, as recommended by you guys, and I can say I like the show. 'Course, I'm no hardcore fan like some of you guys, but I can say it's worth watching. I'll probably watch some episodes here and there over the course of the holidays.

To answer your question Cindy, in the area of Western animation, I like Regular Show and Adventure Time, but really I'm more of an anime fan, with my favourites being Lucky Star and Gurren Lagann.

Once again, I thank all of you for you helpful insight.

I like it because it is character driven, funny, moral driven, and unlike the cartoons of the 21st century (The cartoon "bubble" burst after the 9/11 attacks) the first hope of recovery was Avatar the last airbender (epic), but after that the crap came, spongebob tumbled, cartoon network came out with so much crap until 2010, and FiM started the new cartoon age, it challenged animation with its flash style, problem?

First of all, thank you for coming in here with an open mind(i hope). Second, thank you for not becoming a troll or close-minded fool because somepony was acting in a fashion you took to be offensive. In addition, i feel that i can reveal a deeper meaning to the lesson in the episodes. To conclude my addition to this topic, i'm glad that you have opened your heart to a show and fandom that i hope is supportive and kind to you.

With best regards,

-Nick

Now, I've watched a few more episodes, as recommended by you guys, and I can say I like the show. 'Course, I'm no hardcore fan like some of you guys, but I can say it's worth watching. I'll probably watch some episodes here and there over the course of the holidays.

well, that's good, I told you its not as bad as you might think it is!

Part of it derives from the fact that it's entirely different to what one would expect from a My Little Pony series. Usually cartoons targeted at young girls lack any sort of depth, character development or interesting story lines - they conform to a wholly sexist cookie cutter that renders them boring in every conceivable way. MLP: FiM breaks this mould by having characters that are distinct from one another, interact compellingly, and actually develop over time. None of the characters in the show really conform to a "girly" stereotype - the closest you get is Rarity, who is differentiated from the obsessive consumers of fashion that characters in these shows are often portrayed as by being a fashion designer herself. She's also the best pony.

But really you can't underestimate the influence of the fanbase itself. The sheer amount of artistic talent and effort that has been put into making ancillary material - fan fictions, drawings, animations, songs - is astounding, and this fanmade art is often of extremely high quality. The fact that MLP: FiM has a very accepting, compassionate, and artistically energetic fanbase keeps people interested.

I believe Krall presents the argument quite nicely.

To me, as well as many others, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, is a welcome breath of fresh air to a stagnant market.

The series doesn't adhere to either male or female stereotypes, but instead settles itself in a mid-ground that has attracted such a diverse and varying fan-base that I never previously would have thought possible.

What really caught my attention to MLP:FIM, is that the show possesses some of the most unique and distinctive animation styles out there today, in comparison to other cartoons of similar nature. Take these screenshots for example.

While many animation series tend to recycle backgrounds to the point where they appear indistinctive, in almost every scene within the MLP series, there is a degree of variance; houses manage to appear analogous yet distinguishable in their own right, and add to the depth and beauty of each scene.

Sure, you could argue that I'm rambling about features that one doesn't necessarily focus on in a cartoon, but honestly, that's what most bronies love to do. We love to pick apart scenes right down to the tiny details, heck, even the animators of the show recognised this and regularly chuck in little easer eggs for our community to find!

All in all, Hasbro has brought a welcome and innovative change to the field of cartoon animation, and the fact that this came for the last franchise I would have ever imagined, makes it all the more commendable.

^^ I'm gonna let Krall and Swoops posts speak for me, they are much better writers and can explain it far better than I can ^^

All I'll add is Rarity makes the show that much more interesting to watch.

The show's nostalgic references to relevant content and simple way of portraying a positive outlook through great characterization helps me feel some sort of desire to have a connection to the story world and continue watching the show.

It's the right about of cuteness that I need to balance out all my natural manly awesomeness. :P

Plus, I absolutely <3 Rainbow Dash

Her looks, her personality, her voice... Oh Rainbow Dash.

>.>

I like it partially because I've liked MLP since I was a kid and partially just because it's a fun, creative and smart show. I like the animation, I like the world that they created, the story lines are cool, they aren't afraid to shove a monster or conflict in the episode in fear that it will give children a nightmare moon, the voice actors are good, the characters are interesting, and the world keeps expanding. And the little things they add in to it that don't make sense, like Pinkie laying an egg, the unicorn whose talent was popping balloons, Fancy Pants' model girlfriend etc.

Also it makes me laugh.

Looks like you could use a bit of cheering up, from your gloomy point of view? How about if I take you to the pudim galaxy? Theres a planet there made completely of pudding. It is wonderful.

So I say something bad, and people target me even if what I said was thought out?

But in all seriousness, I must agree with Kaleado on this, your are being pretty negative towards him while he hasn't done anything but express freedom of speech. Plus he's even using his brain while doing it. A quality not many have.

Edit, oh dear, did I just do a time jump right before posting this? It would seem like I missed by 10 days. Oh wow, sorry everyon-... pony, please disregard this.

Edited by Dr Whooves

It just reminds me of a time when Cartoons were actually good.

If they had the same plot, but with penguins,

The fandom will be about penguins.

The ponies had nothing to do with it being amazing.

They just add to the awesomeness.

• Brohoof 2