Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What was the popular and new gaming console when you were a kid?

Cupcake Ice Cream

Well, when I first started playing video games at about 6 years old, it was the Game Boy Advance. I remember it being almost everywhere. Heck, I first played Pokémon Red on a Game Boy Advance...

I still have a couple of cartridges, but one's for Shrek 2 and the other is a Ruby cartridge I haven't seen in a while... I do have an emulator, but it's on my dad's computer. 

• Brohoof 1

My first console was a SNES. I still have it with all my games. :-P

Way before that though my family had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum that used tapes to load games. If the game failed to load, you would have to rewind the tape and try to load it again. Which happened a lot.

Spoiler

That loading sound is forever burned into my mind. :mlp_laugh:

• Brohoof 2

It was a regular Nintendo DS. I got a pink one on one of my birthdays and I still have it for a little GameBoy game I put in their.

Edit: Oh wait, if you mean consoles on TVs than it was a Wii. I got a white one for Christmas but it came with a red Wii remote and Nunchuk.

Edited by ExplosionMare
Added something
  • Brohoof 3

The PlayStatin 1 came out the year I was born. I remember my brother playing Crash Bandicoot and I really wanted to play too but he wouldn’t let me no matter how many times I asked.

:(

• Brohoof 2

I remember picking up a Pong clone game at a school sale when I was about 5.

I then had a Spectrum 48k in '82

1280px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

A friend had an Atari VCS

1280px-Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

So, I suppose, to answer the question, the Atari was current and popular and the Speccy48 and Commodore 64 were new (but not consoles) and would go on to be very popular.

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I was a kid? Everything was new. But I'd say the main ones were the NES, Super NES and Genesis. But when the Playstation hit, everyone went bonkers. Don't recall the Atari 7800 ever being that popular. I do, however, remember the hype for the Jaguar, 3D0 and NeoGeo. Straaaaaaaaange times.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

It was either the PS1 or the Gameboy Advance, although when I was around 8 the PS2 had landed and made history. Honestly, that console was the single best thing to come out of the mid 2000s. 

• Brohoof 2

I had a GameCube as a kid, I remember my friends being all about the Xbox and the PS2 but I’ve always been a Nintendo fanboy. :fluttershy: I remember I played melee so much as a kid (and never actually got good haha!:twi:

I also had a gba but never got that many games for it. I remember the DS being introduced while I was still in elementary though and it was super popular. I got one at some point as well

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

Sega Megadrive and Super Nintendo. There was a big war on the school playground, but when it came to actually playing games, everyone loved good games, no matter if it was Sega or Nintendo!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I was born at the start of the PlayStation 2, GameCube and Xbox older however I remember being old enough to witness the PlayStation 3 vs Xbox 360 wars (and getting a Wii myself one christmas lol) and got a 2DS for Christmas at age 13 plus wanted to get a Wii U for most of my teenage years, though I also got into PC gaming when I was about 14.

Didn't actually own a Wii U until after the Switch came out and the system and games were dropping in price significantly though lol.

Was also really into retro gaming around that time too though (hence my username).

Edited by SuperNESBrony