Did you like it?  

50 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Well since there was no lesson about friendship learned, I guess I'll have to fill in the gap...

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that in the political world, politicians will fight even if it means their nations falling apart.

- Your Faithful Student, Twilight Sparkle

~~~~~~~~~~~~

But on a different note, have you noticed the Earth Pony, Pegasus, and Unicorn all represent a different European culture?

The Pegasi obviously represent some ancient Greek or Roman culture. Since their land was named Pegasopolis and "polis" in Greek means "city". However, Commander Hurricane's helmet and chestplate kind of reminds me both of a Centurion and a Hoplite respectively. I'm saying that the Peagsi were the Spartans, especially considering their architecture style is reminiscent of that time period.

The Unicorns represent a sort of British or Anglo-Saxon culture, at least to me. I don't know why, it just seems like it from the architecture, the clothing, and Rarity being Queen.

Now Earth Ponies...I have no clue. Applejack's clothing looks distinctly Renaissance Italian but the architecture of the Earth Ponies looks distinctly Eastern European.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again on a different note...WHERE WAS CELESTIA AND LUNA WHEN THIS ALL HAPPENED? Obviously, unlike the play, there was probably a large scale war with the three tribes but where did the Alicorns play into this?

I can imagine Princess Celestia and Princess Luna in the Heavens with giant troll face grins saying "u mad for creating evil spirits?"

• Brohoof 1

Derpy is now officially my favorite pony. Did you guys see her in the opening, when the train first appears?

Happy Heart's Warming Eve everypony. :D

Derpy is best pony.

They did not let her come out on stage.

It is an outrage!

Here is a fun game-

Look for more derpy in the play!

Why was Pinkie wearing a bucket of poo on her head? That's what I kept thinking, "poo! no, nope it's pudding...poo! nope, still pudding..."

I never thought it was poo xD

I thought it was pudding... because she is Pinkie Pie!

I few things, the 3 tribes acted very much like mid evil Europe

Serfs-earth ponies

Knights and nobility- pegisis

Clergy and roayalty- unicorns

That's pretty much how things worked back then

Also I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not but, for the majority of the episode, pinkie dosent have a tail, unless that bow is her tail

Serfs-earth ponies

That's pretty much how things worked back then

Also I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not but, for the majority of the episode, pinkie dosent have a tail, unless that bow is her tail

I thought that it might have been under her dress unless she ate it thinking it was cotton candy ;)

But her hat was amazing.

She is the chancellor after all!

But it was still poo...

I definitely think this episode went out to the fans. Aside from the obvious Derpy appearances, they portrayed a story about the past, providing background information, while keeping it relatable to the fans through the mane 6. The episode drew parallels from our meaning of Christmas to the pony meaning of Hearths Warming, in which they eventually put aside differences and came together to embrace commonalities. I thought the song near the end helped show the unity within Equestria and reflects on some of the holiday gatherings we celebrate today, like Christmas in Washington DC which has a similar setting. The plays story seems to be very relatable to scenarios in our own history in which wars were fought due to clashing our stubborn rulers. I also found it interesting that they didn’t have any of the characters say the value of friendship learned verbatim, yet showed it in the actions at the end of the episode; hinting that the lesson shown in the play carried over into their modern world. I also thought that their numerous references to abolishing hate and portrayal of its destructive side draws parallels within this communities fight against haters and trolls within today’s society. Overall it was a very solid episode and certainly recognized yet put aside some of the past and present problems in our world in order to come together and enjoy the holidays.

Coming out of hibernation to say, I loved this episode. IMO one of the best of season 2, heck one of the best of the whole show! I loved seeing the mane 6 act different parts, even though the parts fit their personalities so well. I also loved the great mythology references, even the Windigos were realistic.

And of course Derpy waving from the curtain. Priceless. :D

Serfs-earth ponies

It's spelt "Medieval", but you get bonus points for calling them "serfs" and thereby evidencing your knowledge of feudalism instead of just calling them "peasants". Presumably some Earth Ponies were Yeoman (non-serf, free non-nobles) and may have formed some form of bourgeois gentry under the lower nobility/knightly warrior class of the Pegasi - a gentry which appears to have become stronger with time, as shown by the posh Earth Ponies in Manehattan.

The Pegasi obviously represent some ancient Greek or Roman culture. Since their land was named Pegasopolis and "polis" in Greek means "city". However, Commander Hurricane's helmet and chestplate kind of reminds me both of a Centurion and a Hoplite respectively. I'm saying that the Peagsi were the Spartans, especially considering their architecture style is reminiscent of that time period.

Commander Hurricane's helmet did exhibit the kind of crest widely used both in ancient Greece and ancient Rome (though not by Centurions - they wore their crests sideways), which sat well with the other Greco-Roman influences on Pegasus architecture and nomenclature. Private Pansy's helmet seems to be something like a Boeotian helmet crossed with a Morion.

The Unicorns represent a sort of British or Anglo-Saxon culture, at least to me. I don't know why, it just seems like it from the architecture, the clothing, and Rarity being Queen.

Basically nothing about the Unicorns was specifically British or Anglo-Saxon. They had a monarchy, yes, but Rarity was a Princess, not a Queen, and even if she was a Queen most monarchies allow female monarchs, and monarchy is not a specifically British thing. As far as I know, the only Unicorn architecture shown was a castle, and you really can't tell much from a single castle, and their clothes weren't particularly distinctive either.

Now Earth Ponies...I have no clue. Applejack's clothing looks distinctly Renaissance Italian but the architecture of the Earth Ponies looks distinctly Eastern European.

I don't think Applejack's clothing is "distinctly Renaissance Italian", it just seems to be generic European Medieval clothing, apart from the hat which I think is modelled on a Tyrolean. Ruffs were popular from the mid-sixteenth century to the early seventeenth century (apart from in the Netherlands, where they persisted for much longer), so Pinkie's dress can be placed during that time, but it can't actually be placed anywhere specifically. I don't see how the architecture is distinctly Eastern European - they're just stone or brick houses with thatched roofs. Buildings with stone or brick walls and thatched roofs were built basically everywhere in Europe during the medieval era.

Apart from the Pegasi, who are distinctly Greco-Roman, the three tribes don't seem to have any overt association with any culture or country beyond "Medieval Europe".

• Brohoof 2

OK, so I got from this that nobody knows how the LAND OF THE PONIES was originally founded, but that it was lost in an Ice Age that caused the three tribes to migrate away, overcoming great hazards and fighting a war that was eventually solved by a series of coups that brought more level-headed leaders together who agreed a confederation, that in time came to have an over-king and be known as Equestria...

I loved this episode.

I CAN THINK INSIDE THE CHIMNEY!

I second that notion. Chancellor Pinkie Pie was TOTALLY AWESOME in this episode. ^^

All right... now, so far, we have on the mythical/magical creature list: Parasprites, hydras, evil dragons, a mad (yet awesome) draconequus, and now Windogos. (Plus, any I may have forgotten. ^^|| ) The originality fused with actual mythical creatures is just outright win. ^_^

• 9 months later...

Anybody trying to find some hidden allegory or something in the episode that clearly references tribes in medieval Europe is just obsessing over it a wee too much lol. Personally, I just think the writers had some historic influence but other than that, they were just creative when they named the three tribes and their distinct styles. Besides, Pegasus and Unicorns all come from Greco-Roman influences, so that's all I see in terms of various "cultural" references to the show.

Great episode! I hope they do something of a Christmas-play for Season 3.

Yeah...what if they slowed down? The train would run them over...and with that in mind; how do they stop the train?

What stands out more is how the Mane 6 lean out of the window, even when going through a tunnel (or is that A Canterlot Wedding they do that?). Nonetheless, anyone who's seen The Young Ones must surely think of a certain scene.

On a side note though, as much as I loved Chancellor Puddinghead, Commander Hurricane and Smart Cookie were awesome also. Having Rainbow Dash as a military commander is just too awesome to even think about. As for Smart Cookie, her reactions to Chancellor Puddinghead are simply splendour of the finest calibre.

And Rarity as Princess Platinum gives us an absolute gem of a quote. "Do you see this invisble line?"

• 1 month later...

This episode was really hilarious but also a bit of a heart warmer. My favorite funny moment has to be all the Pinkie Pie moments, especially when she is trying to read the map :P

And her logic on it is just Hilarious :lol:

The ending is the most heart warming part of the whole episode. Again, my sentimental side took over and I just nearly cried happy tears :')

That was just a beautiful ending to an awesome episode :3

• 2 weeks later...

Loved this in every way. Festive, chock-full of humour, and like most of my favourite episodes doesn't take itself seriously.

The one thing I didn't understand about this episode was this:

roflbot.jpg