Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you look for in a Girl/Boy Friend <3

Speedy Transition

So... you want a girl that loves everything you love and would just stand by your side and be your personal cheerleader?

Good luck with that

He'll never know if he never tries to advertise to people exactly what he wants and expects out of a relationship. I know that he can't expect to find a girl who meets all of those requirements, but there are probably some girls out there who meet at least a few of them, and that's better than settling for a girl who he can't stand to be around.

• Brohoof 2

Uhm...

First of all you don't really "do something with a girlfriend", you have feelings for someone, become attached to them and at some point you just get together if you are meant to be. That's how it mainly works...

And yea, you just described your perfect dream girlfriend but it would be crazily impossible to find that all in one person...

Just get to know people and dont set yourself on certain things...

Advertising yourself like this is maybe not the best way, there even is a dating thread somewhere, you can probably ask someone for the link or look it up.

And again, dont be set on appearance, interests and all details, you never know who you might fall in love with, and it makes you seem... set, close-minded.

Edited by Friendship_Cannon
  • Brohoof 6

You should try and make a post on the "Finding your special somepony" thread.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/54965-finding-your-special-somepony-thread/

That being said, your expectations might be too high or unrealistic. I'm saying this because as a girl, it sounds as if you're not looking for a person, but merely checking off a list of things you want. Some girls might see this and feel offended or disgusted. Girls don't like to feel objectified, and that's what your post comes off as. Not saying you can't like certain traits, but it really shouldn't be your main priority. After all, what if you met someone who met all your specifications, yet their personality sucks/contradicts your own? Priority should be learning more about the person and how well your personality meshes with said person. THEN interests/appearance can come along into play. After all, you can't have a girlfriend without having a friend first.

I would recommend looking for a pegasister in your area, since an online relationship is probably not the best choice for someone completely new to dating. Find a pegasister, and learn more about her! Don't expect her to date you (that will be for her to decide) but you can definitely try to hang out and maybe things will work out. smile.png

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 3

Actually, I think if you want to find a girlfriend, you'll just have to wait it out and start meeting some people offline.  Eventually you may find someone who meets some of these...'requirements' or you might find someone completely different but love them all the same!

At least, all I had to do was sit there when someone I have a lot in common with just popped up.  Cx 

You may think you want that. That may sound appealing, but that might not be what you get or fall in love with. I advise you keep an open mind. Lots of people "want" things but it's not what they get. My best advice is talk to different girls and see where it goes. Even if you DID meet a girl like you described, that doesn't mean you'll end up loving her or her loving you. You sound a little too picky. Don't be so closed minded as to what you want.

Real girls are usually better than dream girls you create.

As others have already said, finding a girl who satisfies all those criteria is nigh impossible. If you want to have a better chance at having a gf, then push any concept of critera for a good gf out of your mind and start appreciating people for who they are, with all their merits and flaws, regardless of how different they are from your perceived ideal. The fact that you have so many expectations is already a problem, but you'll find yourself faring much better with people in general if you don't expect them to act in any particular way. To quote a Bruce Lee movie:

Abbott: What is the highest technique you hope to achieve ?

Lee: To have no technique.

The concept presented there doesn't just apply to martial arts, but to anything. Too much technique, too much form, and its rigors become ingrained so deep that adaptability, or lack thereof, becomes an issue. Drown out your expectations, and you'll find yourself with a much more open mind.

As for what you would do with a gf, that also is something you can't really know for certain. You might like to take a girl out to a movie, but you might end up with a girl who doesn't like going to the cinema and would rather spend time at a park or go to concerts. There's no one activity that befits all people, particularly when it comes to going out on a date.

Edited by ~Chaotic Freedan~

I laughed when I read this, lol. I'm sorry, it's likely you'll meet a girl like that because similar interest but you're just a bit too picky. Keep your eyes open, don't narrow it down like that. But, hey we all have our preferences also there is already a thread like that. Find you special somepony thread.

Anyway, good luck finding your special somepony.

• Brohoof 1

I have learned that there is really no point in "looking" for a girlfriend/boyfriend. A person isn't a thing you can just get. If you go out into social situations regarding every girl (or boy, or both) you meet as a potential partner, and if you focus your conversation with them around sizing them up for compatibility or trying to get them to go on a date with you, you're not really going to learn anything about them at all. And you probably won't be showing them your true self either if you're too busy thinking about dating them. I know that we all want love and affection, but trust me when I say it's better to just go about your business and let love (or lust) happen if it happens. Relationships that arise organically are of a much higher quality than forced ones.

• Brohoof 5

Unless you are someone like me (a depressed anti-social recluse), 'looking' for a girlfriend doesn't seem like the greatest idea. Also, your expectations are a bit unrealistic. Not 100% impossible, but quite close. I can understand being a bit picky. Many of us probably have this version of the 'perfect' mate. Sadly, that really isn't the case most of the time. My advice, if I am even qualified to give any here, is to keep your expectations open and not force yourself to 'look'. Again, if you aren't like me, then you probably have at least some chances in the future. No one really knows, these things cannot be completely predicted, or predicted at all really.

I wish you luck regardless.

I think you might be setting yourself up to fail with this, no offense. What you are looking for is the perfect girlfriend. And I don't think they exist. First, of all lets just take out the word "girl" for a moment , since you're probably gonna be friends first, do all your friends meet those "requirements" ? My guess is no, you might have found friends who have met 1 or two, and that's what you have in common with them. You might find a girlfriend who likes 1 or two of these things, but you shouldn't be so close minded, about it. Girl friends can hit you when you least expect it. My advice is dont look so hard trying to find love... Because when the time is ready, love will find you. :)

• Brohoof 1

Wow, I kind of got the results I was expecting from y'all. I feel like an idiot now, but that's alright. I don't have to have a gf. It shouldn't exactly be a bad thing to be alone, is it?

Edit: I ain't know nothing about relationships. (And I did not word up there exactly how I meant) Is it really that bad to have such high hopes for a girl?

Edited by Crimson
  • Brohoof 1

Wow, I kind of got the results I was expecting from y'all. I feel like an idiot now, but that's alright. I don't have to have a gf. It shouldn't exactly be a bad thing to be alone, is it?

Nope, you're still so young and as long as you continue doing whatever you do, you will very likely find someone. EDM music interest is something that is not hard to find, as I read over your text again it isn't even that unlikely that you'll meet a girl that fits those preferences. Just don't worry about it and what happens, will happen.

You should try and make a post on the "Finding your special somepony" thread.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/54965-finding-your-special-somepony-thread/

That being said, your expectations might be too high or unrealistic. I'm saying this because as a girl, it sounds as if you're not looking for a person, but merely checking off a list of things you want. Some girls might see this and feel offended or disgusted. Girls don't like to feel objectified, and that's what your post comes off as. Not saying you can't like certain traits, but it really shouldn't be your main priority. After all, what if you met someone who met all your specifications, yet their personality sucks/contradicts your own? Priority should be learning more about the person and how well your personality meshes with said person. THEN interests/appearance can come along into play. After all, you can't have a girlfriend without having a friend first.

I would recommend looking for a pegasister in your area, since an online relationship is probably not the best choice for someone completely new to dating. Find a pegasister, and learn more about her! Don't expect her to date you (that will be for her to decide) but you can definitely try to hang out and maybe things will work out. img-1981766-1-smile.png

I guess that helps. Thanks I don't know to much about this forum and what goes where and all that. All I wanted to say was that, but I must abide by the character limit.

• Brohoof 1

You may be getting a little too picky about this.

Nobody is perfect. If you want to find the perfect girl, good luck with that. It's really hard to find "the perfect girl/boy." I mean yes, you may find someone who has some of the same likes as you, but not everything exactly the same. If you do then wow, great job. You must have magical powers.

In my opinion, I look more at a personality over looks. You have to make sure the person has a great personality, and not care too much about how pretty or handsome they are. If you're going into specifics, try online dating maybe? Many people find a great person online. That's where my mother found her fiance. They're getting married next year, and they have a kid. Online dating wouldn't be a bad choice.

• Brohoof 1

It's not really easy finding the perfect girl or boy, since no one is perfect in every way. But, you could try finding someone that you might be interested when it comes to their personality since looks aren't everything and they can get you so close but yet so far. You will find a girl that you will like.

There are a few things you need to keep in mind, you are still young and what you may want in a woman now may change as you grow and mature. What I wanted in a woman when I was 17 is very different than what I as a 27 year old man want in a woman. I am not saying this is the case for you but for me my hormones wracked my brain so much that lust/love were nearly impossible for me to separate as I have matured though I have realized that a pretty face and a hot body are worthless if the personality is ugly. Having some common interests is of course necessary but nobody no matter how similar they are to you will share every single interest, that is okay though maybe you could learn a few things from her and she could learn something from you. I have said many times that it would be awesome to have a girlfriend that is into ponies but is not a requirement for me, what is though is that she is open minded enough to not outright reject me because I have that particular interest. 

• Brohoof 2

There are a few things you need to keep in mind, you are still young and what you may want in a woman now may change as you grow and mature. What I wanted in a woman when I was 17 is very different than what I as a 27 year old man want in a woman. I am not saying this is the case for you but for me my hormones wracked my brain so much that lust/love were nearly impossible for me to separate as I have matured though I have realized that a pretty face and a hot body are worthless if the personality is ugly. Having some common interests is of course necessary but nobody no matter how similar they are to you will share every single interest, that is okay though maybe you could learn a few things from her and she could learn something from you. I have said many times that it would be awesome to have a girlfriend that is into ponies but is not a requirement for me, what is though is that she is open minded enough to not outright reject me because I have that particular interest. 

^^^ THIS!!! I don't care if she's a fan of that show or not. I could care less whether she likes Friendship Is Magic, or Baseball or whatever. As long as she accepts that we're a fan of different things, I have no problem with it. I get what you mean Crimson about finding the perfect girl. When I was a little younger, I had the same expectations you have , in closing I will leave you with a Good Will Hunting quote.

"You're not perfect,

And let me save you the suspense, this girl you met isn't either. 

The question is, whether or not you're perfect for each other."

• Brohoof 2

Edit: I ain't know nothing about relationships. (And I did not word up there exactly how I meant) Is it really that bad to have such high hopes for a girl?

No no no, you misunderstand our intentions. Don't feel bad, we're just trying to give you some friendly advice. That way we can point you in the right direction and hopefully help you in the long run. We're just trying to get you to shift your mentality a bit. Relationships are more than just appearance and likes. If that's all you look for, it will be a very superficial relationship, or you'll just get bored. And no one's perfect, your girlfriend will have flaws. You do too. There are times when you don't always like the same thing and get along, but that's okay. That's what makes us all different, and as long as they are loving and accepting about your interests it shouldn't matter if they like them too. Sometimes opposites attract, and the last person you would expect turns out to be the perfect choice for you. So don't get so preoccupied trying to find a specific person when the right person could be under your nose.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 2

I get what you're saying, but it seemed a little picky. Remember that you'll find a girl similar to that someday, but she's not gonna have all those qualities. Maybe just the music or something. (I dunno...) :P

Point is, I wanted to get a post in before this thread inevitably closed, which I did. :lol:

No no no, you misunderstand our intentions. Don't feel bad, we're just trying to give you some friendly advice. That way we can point you in the right direction and hopefully help you in the long run. We're just trying to get you to shift your mentality a bit. Relationships are more than just appearance and likes. If that's all you look for, it will be a very superficial relationship, or you'll just get bored. And no one's perfect, your girlfriend will have flaws. You do too. There are times when you don't always like the same thing and get along, but that's okay. That's what makes us all different, and as long as they are loving and accepting about your interests it shouldn't matter if they like them too. Sometimes opposites attract, and the last person you would expect turns out to be the perfect choice for you. So don't get so preoccupied trying to find a specific person when the right person could be under your nose.

I know. That is one thing I love about this community. Y'all can be supportive when one needs it, but y'all can also be Real when something like what I said demands it. I was REALLY hoping my thoughts wouldn't get too much attention, but oh well..

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

My dream guy would respect my interests, be a gamer like me (extra points for being a brony too) would be nice and not TOO perverted or immature. I HATE BUGS!! So my man would squash them for me because I'm an unbelievable coward when it comes that, SORRY GUYS!! He would always be faithful and not fight alot with me. He would love my heart and not just my looks. But let's face it the odds of finding someone like that are one in a million, because I have had LOADS of friends that are guys, but they're just not boyfriend material. They're ok to talk to every now and then, but nah!

Stumbled upon this thread, and I found a lot of the posts here to be hilarious. ^_^

This post really seems to stand out to me here. I mean, it's amazing because from all of time I've gotten to know you, you seemed to have changed a lot over the course of these recent months.

In a good way of course. Wow, so much has happened since you made this post hasn't it Misty Pie? ;)

• Brohoof 1

Stumbled upon this thread, and I found a lot of the posts here to be hilarious. happy.png

This post really seems to stand out to me here. I mean, it's amazing because from all of time I've gotten to know you, you seemed to have changed a lot over the course of these recent months.

In a good way of course. Wow, so much has happened since you made this post hasn't it Misty Pie? wink.png

They sure have changed :lol: I remember on the Crushes thread where we were both talking to Zygen about giving up on being in a relationship :lol: Then a month later or so I became your girlfriend. MAN LIFE THROWS SURPRISES AT YOU! :blink:

• Brohoof 1

same belief system, likes (or at least tolerates) MLP and the other things I am "into", good sense of humor, Modest dress, and a good heart that won't want to break it up at the smallest sign of discontent (as i would also have to have)

Most other things are those that would just be an added bonus, that's really the core of it all.