Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many books does Twilight own?

DeletedAcc

(As an aside, this was moved over to the Show Discussion section as the topic deals with content directly related to MLP: FiM. Let's be a bit careful with how many random numbers we wish to spam the thread with, however...)

I presume Twilight has a sizable collection of hundreds if not thousands of books. Most of them probably deal with esoteric subjects within science, magic, and history, although clearly she has a few popular books (e.g., the slumber party guide in "Look Before You Sleep.").

I was TOTALLY just about to say over 9000.

But, seriously? Lemme work it out.

Posted Image

In the above picture, which apparently shows one only one room of the tree, which is roughly round, approximately 45 books are shown. We can assume that it's one quarter of the whole library. We can assume she has approximately 180 books in the first-floor library alone.

Now, the library's approximately two thirds of the tree, so we can assume it's got 360 books, give or take a hundred.

Let's play a game. It's called Reasoning.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=hMCW5wvg4lU

• Brohoof 1

If I had to pick a number at random, I'd say that she probably has about 493 books in total. 80% of that would be books about science, magic, and practical stuff. as seen in season 2, she also has some books for recreational reading (the full daring doo series), so I'd say that about 15% of her books are there for recreation. then the last 5% is probably miscellaneous stuff.

(edited)

For a rough estimate I would say between 300 and 400 books. From the pictures I have seen, most of the shelves hold about 10 books and with each bookshelf having 4-5 layers we can estimate they hold between 40-50 books. The problem is we never get a full view of her library, so there could be countless other books. What we do know is her current library is at least half the size of her former library in Canterlot. So with my horrible math skills, I'm guessing that her library has at least 350 books and at most infinity. Maybe one day we will get a chance to see Twilight's entire library.

As for how much Twlight has read, I wouldn't doubt it if she has read most of the books. When I was in college, a lot of my profs had hundreds of books in their offices and most of them had read them all- in fact a few of my profs could recall exact sections form most of the books, so I wouldn't doubt it that Twilight could do the same.

Edited by Abaddon

Considering the vast magic potential in the books, we can safely assume her library has a strong connection to L-space, meaning access to every book ever potentially written ;)

Seriously though: The tree is pretty large and should house several thousand (public property) books at least, since it was built as a library first.

Twilight herself has spend some 15+ years doing hardly anything but study and read so I'd put her personal library at about 300-500 books (magical essentials and fiction). I'd imagine she has a pretty busy account at the Canterlot library though.

Posted Image

^

My face when originally this topic.

Honestly, all obvious 9000 jokes aside, I'd say it's definitely 600 or less. Canterlot? Yeah, 1,000 would be far, far more likely. But her Ponyville library seems fairly modest. The main room, as has been posted, has a lot of thick books, and some spaces lacking between some of them. Even if those spaces were filled though, I wouldn't personally go over 600. It's not that big of library in retrospect, and though it has several rooms for the books, thinking about it, it just doesn't get as high as the thousands for me.

This is kinda off topic but I wonder what she'd do if we gave her a Kindle...

I was TOTALLY just about to say over 9000.

But, seriously? Lemme work it out.

Posted Image

In the above picture, which apparently shows one only one room of the tree, which is roughly round, approximately 45 books are shown. We can assume that it's one quarter of the whole library. We can assume she has approximately 180 books in the first-floor library alone.

Now, the library's approximately two thirds of the tree, so we can assume it's got 360 books, give or take a hundred.

Much like the TARDIS, the library interior has little relationship to the external tree. In the second season opener, think of how far and how fast Twilight was running when trying to get back her book. Now compare that to the external appearance of the tree. Keep in mind this mad game of keep-a-way took place in only one room. The library is as big as it needs to be, tree notwithstanding. We haven't even touched on the basement laboratory!

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to blow some minds with this one.

Twilight owns no books at all. She lives in a library. And in Canterlot, she was a student of Celestia who, I would think, would provide the books for her to study from.

Commence with the head 'splosions.