Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Help requested, pony fighting styles.

Starstream

(edited)

Well, as the title may suggest, I'm busy writing a fanfic that includes various ponies from the show who will all be fighting with each other on several separate occasions. I've been running into one problem though, for some of them I'm not sure what fighting styles they should be using. I was hoping people could help me by swinging some suggestions. I don't want any two ponies to fight in an exactly identical fashion though!

The ponies that I do have an idea for are:

- Queen Chrysalis (Needs little explanation I believe, just imagine Kirby or Ditto)

- Fluttershy (Doesn't fight but has critters who do so for her)

- Spitfire (A traditional archer who uses flaming arrows)

- Cloud Chaser (Wields a buster sword, (because I like putting in the obligatory Cloud reference,) but uses it sparingly)

- Lyra (Casts magic by playing on a harp and uses a lyre for less powerful spells while keeping her mobility high)

- Trixie (Casts spells like Isaac from Lost magic)

- Rainbow Dash (Jeet Kune Do, with a Rainbow Dash of Teakwondo thrown into the mix)

- Pinkamina Diane Pie *a.k.a. the Cupcakes one* (Uses a wide variety of weapons which she will probably store in hammer-space)

- Rarity (Uses gemstones to fight in a similar fashion to Gaara of the sand/Kuchiki Byakuya)

- Octavia (Uses her cello as a striking weapon while using the bow as a cutting weapon)

- Vinyl Scratch *a.k.a. DJ PON-3* (Capouira, and I still want a random Bass Cannon at some point)

Characters that I'd prefer to hear suggestions for are:

- Shining Armor

- Iron Will (I'm leaning towards a combination of Judo/Jujutsu and wrestling)

- Pinkie Pie (So far, I'm not really set on a "fighting style" per sé, I might just have her do random stuff that somehow works in her favor)

- Gilda (Probably fights mainly with her claws)

- Princess Luna

- Twilight Sparkle (looking for something that will contrast nicely to Trixie's fighting style)

- Prince Blueblood

- Applejack (Lasso seems important, what else?)

- Daring Do (Whip seems like a must. How should I differentiate from Applejack, or should I make them similar on purpose?)

Preferences in terms of species:

- Unicorns: Very limited in terms of what kind of magic they can use (i.e. Rarity can use diamonds, nothing else!), their versatility should come from creativity.

- Pegasi: Being able to fly, it leaves their hooves free, making them the best candidates for wielding weapons (Rainbow Dash is a possible exception). Also, I must add that long ranged weapons like bows are not on my preference list. They would put earth ponies at a major disadvantage, and I also feel it would take away from the possible versatility in the cast.

- Earth ponies: I'm thinking of martial arts, but weapons aren't unimaginable either.

Anyway, don't feel too limited by what I've put down. Any suggestion is appreciated, even for those on the top list. :)

Edit: I've seen some pretty neat suggestions so far, so I'm adding the rest of the cast to the list so people can brainstorm for those too.

Edited by Zhinzo

Well being that Daring Do is essentially an Indiana Jones expy, I see her as a straight-up brawler, no-holds-barred fighting or even boxing if you prefer. Maybe Applejack is more of a wrestler due to having her lasso to do throwholds with, though considering she LOVES to kick, kickboxing is perfect for her.

Prince Blueblood I don't see having a physical fighting style, but rather an actual weapon style. A good choice would be fencing because it's just the sort of fancy bull that he would go for (and quite frankly would have quite the good body for).

Shining Armor I can see as having the traditional Germanic sword-fighting, particularly involving the bastard sword class. Though as for martial arts involving without weapons, I'm a li'l out of ideas.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Shining Armor could use a style that emphasizes defense and protection (he can create magical shields, can't he?), but that could leave him without many interesting offensive moves.

Edited by StingeMuffin

(edited)

Iron will could use a form of judo, i imagine him throwing instead of throwing punches. AJ could use kickboxing, and shining could use Kumdo maybe(Korean swordfighting)

Personally, I was imagining more of a western swordsplay style. But if nothing else, it looks awesome. As for your Iron Will suggestion, I'm definitely taking that one to heart.

Applejack- Diamond Daves kung fu hillbilly fighting system.

I looked it up, I feel guilty for laughing... :blush:

The guy has some valid points but it just comes across as weird.

Shining Armor could use a style that emphasizes defense and protection (he can create magical shields, can't he?), but that could leave him without many interesting offensive moves.

I keep forgetting that's his specialty, perhaps manipulating force fields in an offensive fashion or maybe something focused on countering opponents?

I see Pegasi being archers.

Same here...glad I'm not the only one! :)

I don't like to give those that can already fly the ability to execute long range attacks, it makes fights undoable for the earth ponies. Spitfire is my only exception because I don't plan on pitting her against any earth pony anyway.

Well being that Daring Do is essentially an Indiana Jones expy, I see her as a straight-up brawler, no-holds-barred fighting or even boxing if you prefer. Maybe Applejack is more of a wrestler due to having her lasso to do throwholds with, though considering she LOVES to kick, kickboxing is perfect for her.

Prince Blueblood I don't see having a physical fighting style, but rather an actual weapon style. A good choice would be fencing because it's just the sort of fancy bull that he would go for (and quite frankly would have quite the good body for).

Shining Armor I can see as having the traditional Germanic sword-fighting, particularly involving the bastard sword class. Though as for martial arts involving without weapons, I'm a li'l out of ideas.

No real problems with this though I was hoping for magic based fighting style for Blueblood, but I guess that if nothing else comes up for him that's a good suggestion. Other than that, I'd gladly take those suggestions to heart.

Awesome suggestions guys, I didn't have time for it before, but I've added the rest of the cast to the list. If you have any suggestions for them, I'd love to hear them.

Edited by Zhinzo

No real problems with this though I was hoping for magic based fighting style for Blueblood, but I guess that if nothing else comes up for him that's a good suggestion. Other than that, I'd gladly take those suggestions to heart.

Awesome suggestions guys, I didn't have time for it before, but I've added the rest of the cast to the list. If you have any suggestions for them, I'd love to hear them.

Hmmmm magic-based? Well, he DOES have a compass star for a cutie mark and he had that rose, maybe some sort of magic aligned with magnetics and roses for extra doucheness?

Vinyl Scratch definitely needs some music-based thing, but capoeira is the closest I can imagine since it's all dancing-style fighting. I'm sure she could pull out some sort of vinyl-record-based slash-attack stuff like some Mortal Kombat character or other X

• Brohoof 1

Applejack would be a down and dirty brawler, taking out ponies with her full body weight and throwing nasty kicks quickly and painfully.

Trixie's style would be flashy focus on appearance over effect. By contrast, Twilight would focus on negating harmful effects, strategy, and defeating the foe in the most efficient way possible.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I can see Shining Armour doing some weird pony kickboxing for some reason. And traditional sword fighting and staff using. I can see Daring Do doing street fighting. Like you know, fighting without any real focus, just fighting like you would. And/or Equestrian Ju Jitsu. And Applejack could totally do some kick-ass judo/karate/kickboxing. As for Rainbow Dash, Jeet Kune Do, Kung Fu and Wing Chun, Muay Thai can get horrifyingly fast, but so can anything really.

Edited by Swordfishtrombone

(edited)

If you need help on actual fighting criteria here is my resume of arts I mastered or know/studied:

Taekwondo

Jeet Kune Do

Filipino sticks/Swords (no pun/joke intended)

Wing Chun

Kempo

Kaju Kenpo

And for medieval fighting styles, well I just love history so I could help you on those and do research....

Edited by Valiant

Luna should fight using shadows and lightning with earthquakes.

Twilight sparkle should fight using glyphs and magical circles.

Daring do should use the whip and applejack should be like king from the king of fighters, kicks only.

Shining Armor could easily tweak his barrier generating powers to contain targets of opportunity. I imagine he could crush them with it too. It's only a matter of actually containing an opponent and having the stamina to preserve the field. Something tells me though that he would spend a great deal of his time focusing on defensive capabilities. He'd probably only lend his powers to an offensive strike if someone he cared for was in a great deal of trouble.

If you ask me 'a penny for your thoughts' and I 'throw in my two cents', then what happened to the other penny.

SHINING ARMOUR: Several options.

Kenpo style like Samurai.

Medivial Knight It should start at 13:45, if not, start there.

Or you could go with a Ancient greet fighting style with a spear and short sword.

I would do the Medivial Knight style.

*facepalm* kenpo is chinese......Kenjitsu is the fighting style for katana samurai......

Crap, messed my styles up again. Kenjitsu is what I meant.

Thank you for catching that!