Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't Applejack get any love?

Jesse20

Applejack is the cutest, smartest, and all around best background pony.

Hopefully she will get some more screen time. I thought The Last Roundup was good, but she was kind of overshadowed in that episode, so...

This, she just needs more screen time basically, she can surely become as colorful as the other mane 6 if they just gave her more episodes centered around her to flesh her out better, that's probably why she's so flat at the moment, we don't get to see that much of her aside from her guest starring in most episodes. I'm sure if we get to see things from her point of view more often, she'll become more interesting and thus more popular.

(edited)

Because she`s a hick. ^_^

Nah but seriously, I myself love AJ, and think she has plenty of personality- she's honest, hardworking, and loves her family, yet she's been known to not tell the whole truth, can be stubborn to a fault, should work on her manners, and one time didn't learn anything- plenty of depth to work with imo. :)

Edited by SBB64

Huh, this is turning into a discussion of AJ's character and appreciation in the fandom, not what the thread's saying: shipping.

I think the error in there not being enough fanfic's about AJ's romantic life is because imo there aren't many very interesting shippings revolving around her. I like Caramel and Flim (Flim 'cause The Super Speedy Squeezy 6000 is based off of The Music Man so then AJ would be Marian and Flim the Music Man) as good love interest canidates for Applejack, though. Maybe an ideal stallion (or mare, in some cases) for AJ will come along in season 3 and then, let the multitude of AJ shipping fanfics commence! :)

Because she's the responsible one. Why bother following her life if she's going to always be honest, and do her job?

Other characters aren't like that, they can slip up and have it still fit their character.

Pinkie Pie parties too hard and relies on her friends too much.

Twilight can over-study or procrastinate.

Fluttershy snaps when animals don't care for her.

Rarity can be too busy being "Generous" to find time for others.

Rainbow Dash...yeah...The list is endless.

This is why I love Rainbow Dash the most. She could do almost anything and still fit her character. Throw a competition to choose a pet? Break all the laws of science and shatter the sky into light particles? Prank anyone and everyone? READ?

Then you have AJ...Just AJ.

Also, country isn't really my thing. The accent really can annoy you at times and you won't know if they're serious or making fun of themselves...

• Brohoof 1

Well I love all of the ponies, and I feel that AppleJack does play a big part on the show. She is one of the Mane 6 after all, and they couldn't have really used all 6 elements without her element of honesty. I mean sure more people love fluttershy and the others, but I mean AJ is unique and does play her part of being useful in the show. And how she cares for her family and friends, and how she is so determined to get work done because its her duty truly makes her an admirable pony. I love Applejack.

• Brohoof 1

Here's the right answer: when she does get love, people ignore it and whine about Derpy getting censored.

I lol'd :lol:

think this thread belongs in sugarcube corner not fimfiction, seriousness though... I've found she tends to fluctuate and go through phases of love on places like fimfiction. A lot of this, imo, has to do with the fact that writing "her voice" spawns quite a few fights on whether or not people make her sound stupid and hickish. So when her diehard fans read a love fic between her and whoever, some love it and some rant that they made AJ sound retarded.

She doesn't have enough...pizazz? She just doesn't have some super standout trait that people really like. For example, Rainbow Dash is athletic and her color scheme is really catchy. Fluttershy is particularly adorable. Twilight is easy to relate to and her social awkwardness is a source of comedy. Applejack just doesn't really have one of these memorable traits.

Here's the right answer: when she does get love, people ignore it and whine about Derpy getting censored.

That's the biggest issue I had with the show. Applejack get's her own episode and it so happens that Derpy gets her first speaking role in it too, and after that, all hell broke loose :o

• Brohoof 1

I adore AJ, though as a Texan that might be a contractual obligation. She's not flashy because she doesn't have to be; she's a foil for both RD and Rarity, stubborn and proud in her own way without swinging to either extreme except when the plot needs it. She's the designated driver of the group; hugely important but often overlooked because the other ponies are partying on the table, so to speak. With her brother and sister being breakout characters of their own, it doesn't help her image, and who among us feels such a close connection to their family that they never want to leave? Her acknowledged destiny is to the continuation of the Apple clan and Sweet Apple Acres. It doesn't resonate with many. Southern = stupid is also a pretty widespread stereotype, which makes her easy to dismiss.

I think there'd be a very big hole that'd be very difficult to fill if she disappeared. This is all just my opinion, though.

• Brohoof 2

I think a more appropriate way to analyze this would be to look at the other ponies. The other ponies are, in a word, unstable. They have problems that crop up at all odd moments. Applejack, on the other hands, tends not to. If you notice, just about all of her problems are caused by external forces: Big Mac being hurt, the Flim-Flam brothers coming into town, the town hall being broken and her losing the rodeo. Applejack is a paragon of stability, and is always there for other people in their times of need. As such, her best role is that of a foil, and not the main character of episodes, especially when they have to write in obstacles for her to deal with.

• Brohoof 1

I think a more appropriate way to analyze this would be to look at the other ponies. The other ponies are, in a word, unstable. They have problems that crop up at all odd moments. Applejack, on the other hands, tends not to. If you notice, just about all of her problems are caused by external forces: Big Mac being hurt, the Flim-Flam brothers coming into town, the town hall being broken and her losing the rodeo. Applejack is a paragon of stability, and is always there for other people in their times of need. As such, her best role is that of a foil, and not the main character of episodes, especially when they have to write in obstacles for her to deal with.

That's another really good way to put it. Other characters do have their "odd external events" moments (Iron Will, getting the water to Cloudsdale) but they're not as necessary as they are for her. I hadn't thought of it quite that way.

That's another really good way to put it. Other characters do have their "odd external events" moments (Iron Will, getting the water to Cloudsdale) but they're not as necessary as they are for her. I hadn't thought of it quite that way.

Even looking at those: Iron Will and water to Cloudsdale were mostly there just to highlight the conflict that was already there. They only helped the inevitable conflict along.

I wouldn't consider her losing the rodeo an external force, any more external than Twilight Sparkle missing a lesson deadline. It's a problem for her because of her own expectations of herself. Remember, not earning any bits to fix town hall wasn't her main problem with losing. It was the fear of facing her disappointed friends. This is in contrast to the Flim-Flam brothers directly coming up to the farm and directly threatening it. This is actually why it's so annoying to see everypony blowing the Derpy drama out of proportion, and ignoring the real content of the episode. Wanting to live up to her expectations and everypony else's is a constant internal struggle, despite any external obstacles needed to implement it.

(edited)

I just watched "Look Before you Sleep" again on Netflicks Instant and I have to say, I'm kind of surprised that both Applejack and Rarity seem to have few fans compared to other ponies. They were hilarious in that episode. I think that one was a very good exploration of AJ's flaws - perhaps even moreso than "Applebuck Season" and "Last Roundup." It showed that she can be messy, careless, somewhat rude, a bit bad-tempered and someone who doesn't pay attention to details. Plus, she was judgemental toward Rarity. Rarity's flaws were of course highlighted too, but I think the episode made it clear that both ponies were equally to blame for the conflict and for ruining Twilight's sleepover. I hope there are more episodes like "Look Before you Sleep" in the future, because it showed Applejack at her most entertaining, IMO. Looking at the big picture is a good quality, but ignoring details is an issue that I think the show could capitalize on more with Applejack, since this episode was more about learning to get along with people who are different than you.

Edited by Carolina
  • Brohoof 2

Huh, this is turning into a discussion of AJ's character and appreciation in the fandom, not what the thread's saying: shipping.

I don't think Applejack is any more or less shippable than the other ponies. Like the other posters have been saying, she's not as popular among fans so she doesn't get as much attention.

Not everyone hates her. Shoot, I love AppleJack!

Me too!

It's because she votes republican, JK no probably because she's so devoted to her farm and family that she just doesn't have time for anyone

Its because Applejack is a very boring pony.

Lets look at the things about applejack.

Applejack doesn't have an interesting past. She's basically been a farm pony all her life, left for a bit, then came back. Compare this to the other ponies who had a more interesting past.

Applejack has no dream. She is already at her destination pretty much. Compare that to Rainbow her actually does have a dream.

Her humor, while funny, I find not as good as the others.

Her character isn't that interesting. People say that Applejack just needs a more episodes about her but I think that will solve nothing. Also the problem with the last roundup is not only Derpy, but Pinkie and the fact that that episode could've had any other pony. Any of the mane 6 could've been thrown in that situation, (Maybe changed a little bit), and it still would've made sense.

I just don't see why I see people say Applejack is the most intresting character when even Applebloom outshines her.

Now I like Applejack, I don't hate her. She just isn't that interesting and these are all just my opinions.

Her character isn't that interesting. People say that Applejack just needs a more episodes about her but I think that will solve nothing. Also the problem with the last roundup is not only Derpy, but Pinkie and the fact that that episode could've had any other pony. Any of the mane 6 could've been thrown in that situation, (Maybe changed a little bit), and it still would've made sense.

Again, I highly disagree. Applejack was the only pony who could've filled the role this well. Before I get into detail, I want to say that I think her element is mislabeled. In the second episode, she tells Twilight to let go of that ledge, and she'll be safe. Twilight does, and she is safe. In Applebuck Season, she saves the town from the cattle stampede, and readily helps everypony with their problems. In further episodes, she's always seen helping somepony out. While others see these events as external forces, I see them as physical manifestations of her internal problems. That's because she more closely represents trust, not honesty.

So, fast forward to The Last Roundup. Near the beginning, town hall had been wrecked, and Applejack was going off to a rodeo, promising to use her prize money to fix town hall. We all know the story from there. She felt guilty about letting her friends down, and felt that she had betrayed their trust in her. Her trustworthiness is her defining trait.

So yeah, maybe I threw too much drama in there, but that's just my interpretation.

• Brohoof 2