Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't Applejack get any love?

Jesse20

Again, I highly disagree. Applejack was the only pony who could've filled the role this well. Before I get into detail, I want to say that I think her element is mislabeled. In the second episode, she tells Twilight to let go of that ledge, and she'll be safe. Twilight does, and she is safe. In Applebuck Season, she saves the town from the cattle stampede, and readily helps everypony with their problems. In further episodes, she's always seen helping somepony out. While others see these events as external forces, I see them as physical manifestations of her internal problems. That's because she more closely represents trust, not honesty.

So, fast forward to The Last Roundup. Near the beginning, town hall had been wrecked, and Applejack was going off to a rodeo, promising to use her prize money to fix town hall. We all know the story from there. She felt guilty about letting her friends down, and felt that she had betrayed their trust in her. Her trustworthiness is her defining trait.

So yeah, maybe I threw too much drama in there, but that's just my interpretation.

But except for being trustworthy...what really is her personality? ...I don't think she has much persontality, and that's pretty much why I hate Applejack. She's boring.

But except for being trustworthy...what really is her personality? ...I don't think she has much persontality, and that's pretty much why I hate Applejack. She's boring.

I disagree on that. I know a girl in real life who is all jumpy and hyper and happy like Pinkie and I know a guy who shares personality traits with AJ. Sure he doesn't stand out that much in public but he is one of my best friends and he has as much personality as the girl mentioned before. Just because someone doesn't brag, is loud, is EXTREME in a certain way, doesn't mean he/she lacks personality. Besides AJ is a pretty fearless girl and very skilled when it comes to her athletics and movement(like at that stampede). She would have a lot to brag about but doesn't and often remains calm. I have a lot of respect for people/ponies like her and reliable teamplayers like her are one of the best kinds of friends someone can have
  • Brohoof 1

I disagree on that. I know a girl in real life who is all jumpy and hyper and happy like Pinkie and I know a guy who shares personality traits with AJ. Sure he doesn't stand out that much in public but he is one of my best friends and he has as much personality as the girl mentioned before. Just because someone doesn't brag, is loud, is EXTREME in a certain way, doesn't mean he/she lacks personality. Besides AJ is a pretty fearless girl and very skilled when it comes to her athletics and movement(like at that stampede). She would have a lot to brag about but doesn't and often remains calm. I have a lot of respect for people/ponies like her and reliable teamplayers like her are one of the best kinds of friends someone can have

She however, lacks an exciting background. Also, she is already where she wants to be in life. On the farm. Thats kinda boring how she has already matured the most. Its fun to see the characters grow.

Rarity still wants to be a top fashion designer.

Fluttershy is already where she wants to be, however, she still has learn to overcome shyness.

Who knows what Twilight will do once she learns all the magic and friendship she needs.

Rainbow Dash wants to be part of the wonder bolts.

And Pinkie Pie...Shes a complete mystery. We barely even know her past.

She however, lacks an exciting background. Also, she is already where she wants to be in life. On the farm. Thats kinda boring how she has already matured the most. Its fun to see the characters grow.

Rarity still wants to be a top fashion designer.

Fluttershy is already where she wants to be, however, she still has learn to overcome shyness.

Who knows what Twilight will do once she learns all the magic and friendship she needs.

Rainbow Dash wants to be part of the wonder bolts.

And Pinkie Pie...Shes a complete mystery. We barely even know her past.

Sure, but a group of friends without somebody that is quite normal would be a horrible mess and may not be able to exist for a long time, at least in RL. And I think it's good that she is where she wants to be. Most of the people in their early 20s have already decided to study something considered "normal" because there is no chance for them to become a Top Fashion Designer or a Jet Pilot.

We also don't know everything about AJs past(parents,etc.).

Fluttershy is also at least as boring because I think it's save to say: She will never stop being shy. I mean her character hasn't developed the least in the show. Also shyness and kindness seem to be everything of her character.

(edited)

I guess that does make sense. However, her personality just seems to be less colorful than the others. It's not as blatantly expressed, but it's still there. She is a hard worker, and knows that good things take time, as seen in Cider Squeezy. She is highly supportive of her family, juggling things between her friends and family, as seen in Apple Buck Season; she also offers words of encouragement to Apple Bloom in multiple Cutie Mark Crusader-centric episodes. As mentioned before, she is trustworthy, as in The Last Roundup and Apple Buck Season, and also being the only one to offer an apology to Twilight Sparkle in A Canterlot Wedding, Part 2 upon realizing Twilight had been right.

This is an extremely good point. She has the least room to develop, unless the show reveals some unknown history about her. The only way she could really develop is if she suddenly woke up and decided she wanted something more in life.

Fluttershy is also at least as boring because I think it's save to say: She will never stop being shy. I mean her character hasn't developed the least in the show. Also shyness and kindness seem to be everything of her character.

It's surprising to see someone refer to Fluttershy as boring. Personally, I find it amazing how a character afraid to take the spotlight manages to steal the show so much. As for her character not developing, that's sort of a flaw with the show. She was shown that she could be assertive, but went back to being shy the next episode. It is one of her defining characteristics, and Fluttershy wouldn't be Fluttershy without being shy. To put things into perspective, a recent article on an animation website I go to revealed that many audience members will stop viewing a show if their favorite character changes.

Ironically, Twilight Sparkle is the one I find to stand out the least. She doesn't seem to have much of a personality other than being smart in everything, and just now learning about friendship. In many episodes, she acts as more of an overseer than anything, like the scribe who watches a great battle and keeps it in the records. She doesn't actually participate in the events as much as everypony else. I'd love to hear another view on Twilight.

Edited by BetaWolf

I love Applejack.

Her down to Earth sensibilities bring leverage to a show filled with psychos.

If she were to evolve over the course of this show I'd like to see her let her hair down and act uncharacteristically care-free.

Just for a bit. Keep her the same AJ her fans love but let her have the occasional light moment that catches her friends off guard.

(edited)

Because Applejack is the worst pony and everyone hates her.

Posted Image

^ I C wut u did thar

Anyway, as one of the above posters said, she gets all the love she needs from her family, and me of course ;)

Edited by Ponei

^ I C wut u did thar

Anyway, as one of the above posters said, she gets all the love she needs from her family, and me of course ;)

Damn, I want that avatar. Wedding AJ is awesome and all, but at some point I have to change it to something else. Then, I will go back to wedding AJ for ol' time sake :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Mmm...

I think applejack doesn't get any love because she doesn't have that many traits that make a likeable character these days.

(Don't get me wrong. She has a special trait, but it just isn't popular.)

Twilight: She's insane and an order Nazi.

Pinkie pie: She's random as hell.

Rarity: Overdramatic

Fluttershy: Extremly shy

Rainbow dash: She's a jerk. (Tell me she's not a jerk and blood will rain.)

Applejack (at least that's what I think) is the most centered one among all other main characters.

She's the voice of reason many times and that's what makes her so less attractive to many viewers.

She's the know it all big sister of the group.

(The mom would be Celestia)

Edited by Zweiterversuch

You just haven't looked hard enough.

50 bucks says I could spend 10 minutes and find 50 Applejack slashfics and 50 Applejack clopfics (Note: That's fifty stories total).

100 bucks if you can find 50 that don't involve Rainbow Dash.

Mmm...

I think applejack doesn't get any love because she doesn't have that many traits that make a likeable character these days.

Applejack (at least that's what I think) is the most centered one among all other main characters.

She's the voice of reason many times and that's what makes her so less attractive to many viewers.

i prefer chocolat rain, blood rain just dosnt taste as good u know

100 bucks if you can find 50 that don't involve Rainbow Dash.

Every shipfic involves Rainbow Dash.

Mmm...

Applejack (at least that's what I think) is the most centered one among all other mane characters.

She's not a jerk.

Go ahead. My body is ready.

• Brohoof 2

You just haven't looked hard enough.

50 bucks says I could spend 10 minutes and find 50 Applejack slashfics and 50 Applejack clopfics (Note: That's fifty stories total).

In regards to the thread, isn't the criteria that renders Applejack less pony based on how many shipping fics are written about her kind of trifling to anyone else? Something that boils down to psychology is being treated as a popularity contest.
  • Brohoof 1