Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't Applejack get any love?

Jesse20

I dont think there's anypony on the show "without a personality," at least anyone in the spotlight. How do you define a personality that a combination of dedication, love, work ethic, and honesty doesn't count? Or a drive to learn, explore, and perhaps be a bit too neurotic about results? Do they also need to randomly burst out into song or have drama fits? I know actial human beings like Twi and AJ; believe me, they "have personality." You can say you don't like a character without arguing that it's because the character is bad.

I believe that it is because she is a character that is down to earth (pardon the earth pony pun) and is not over the top dramatic. you need that element of dramtics for a real love story.

I believe that it is because she is a character that is down to earth (pardon the earth pony pun) and is not over the top dramatic. you need that element of dramtics for a real love story.

That's actually not so true. The modern concept of a love story is a tremendously cheap and bastardized concept. Love stories are supposed to be about realistically developed emotions and a bred sense of chemistry begat from a constant and careful fluidity. The only reason modern love stories are plagued by drama is because most people have such small attention span that they can't really last through the tremendous length of an actual love story. Drama is basically a cheapened way to accelerate what is supposed to be a slow and natural process, at the cost of quality and believability. If you need to rely on crutches to keep readers, you really can't write romance well. It is one of the hardest genres, and it is the genre everyone screws up royally on, due to a misconception on how romance even works.

i get that the modern concept

That's actually not so true. The modern concept of a love story is a tremendously cheap and bastardized concept. Love stories are supposed to be about realistically developed emotions and a bred sense of chemistry begat from a constant and careful fluidity.

i get this but as you said the modern person can only get into a story with constant action or constant dramatics and while AJ is amazing she is also easy going and that dose not fit into modern story telling

i get that the modern concept

i get this but as you said the modern pony can only get into a story with constant action or constant dramatics and while AJ is amazing she is also easy going and that dose not fit into modern story telling

So long as the stereotypical modern style is followed, no story is truly a love story.

(edited)

Love stories are supposed to be about realistically developed emotions and a bred sense of chemistry begat from a constant and careful fluidity. The only reason modern love stories are plagued by drama is because most people have such small attention span that they can't really last through the tremendous length of an actual love story. Drama is basically a cheapened way to accelerate what is supposed to be a slow and natural process, at the cost of quality and believability. If you need to rely on crutches to keep readers, you really can't write romance well.

Posted Image

Ironically, that inspires confidence in what I've written into my story so far.

Edited by Blue

It's interesting, i do somewhat feel like AJ's character is less developed then the rest of the mane 6. Maybe this is why people don't write as many fic's compared to the others?

I'll spoil your horror; it's friendshipping and not romantic in the slightest.

You'd sooner find me ice skating in hell than find me making a fan-fiction with characters kissing.

Too bad I can only brohoof a post once.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I for one am a fan of Applejacks... I think the majority doesn't really like her, because she has a very small depth in complexity. I don't know, it just seems the other characters have more depth then her.

• Brohoof 1

People see her as a more of a background pony just there to fill a space , due to the fact that she has less depth to her character then the others.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon Applejack is awesome!

Who would you notice more, a diva who can do amazing work or be a total drama queen, or a humble, down-to-earth worker who just comes in, does their job, and leaves.

I think you just inadvertently mentioned Bill Belichick's antics and how he conducts the Patriots. :lol:

That said, Applejack could play linebacker... could you imagine a tough orange pony rushing the passer and decking him?

Edited by Devin McCourty

What do you mean, AJ gets no love? She gets all the love from me and a very few others, but we are more devoted fans than any other. <3

You and me bring so much attention to her now :P. As if I didn't bring enough attention to AJ before, now I have a partner to help out with spreading the AJ love ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I think she is too perfect... And she is an earth pony. And not many bronies can relate to her. And she doesn't have her song. And she doesn't have much screen time.

And she reminds me of my former crush. -_-

Edit: Not saying I dislike her or anything tho...

Edited by thegoodhen

I really do appreciate Applejack as a character. Unfortunately, she gets no love simply because while everyone has their own personalities (Rainbow Dash = Arrogant/Cool Rarity = Fancy and what have you Pinkie=Random and Fun Fluttershy = Shy Twillight = Studious, Responsible, and a bit psycho), Applejack is left as a hard-working character who really only serves a point in certain episodes, and even then AJ shows not a bit of true personality. Screw it, Luna, whom we see less of than AJ, has more character development. Sorry, but it's always been this way, and is unlikely to change.

I really do appreciate Applejack as a character. Unfortunately, she gets no love simply because while everyone has their own personalities (Rainbow Dash = Arrogant/Cool Rarity = Fancy and what have you Pinkie=Random and Fun Fluttershy = Shy Twillight = Studious, Responsible, and a bit psycho), Applejack is left as a hard-working character who really only serves a point in certain episodes, and even then AJ shows not a bit of true personality. Screw it, Luna, whom we see less of than AJ, has more character development. Sorry, but it's always been this way, and is unlikely to change.

AJ also has a workaholic side of her and her relationship to her siblings can be interesting. We also know that she once lived in Manehattan.

By the way, I think Fluttershy has the cheapest character development. She overcomes her fears...just to be as shy as before in the next episode.

• Brohoof 1