Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Do you prefer downloaded/online music or CDs?

Jack Durango

You can't put the CD directly into the iPad.

And my answer stands. I prefer digital music.

oh, you meant inserting it into the iPad, not ripping the files from it. i get it now.

I've been downloading music for a few years now, I don't trust buying CD's straight off the selves anymore, seeing as you don't know what you're really buying into if you haven't heard what's on it before. Too risking. Thank internet for downloading/previewing music. :D

but that's part of the fun buying CDs! going to a second-hand store/record store, getting a CD that looks interesting, and see what it contains. it's fun fun fun to do.

Not all of them though. I've gotten some CDs that just have MP3s on them and only MP3 files.

that's interesting... what CDs are you talking about?
  • Brohoof 1

CD's because we have to travel to get internet. plus, more goes to support the artist, and you get swag like album art

not exactly. CDs are mostly benefiting the company that produces the CDs (unless it's a tightly-knit nice independent one). if you buy music from places like Bandcamp, about 75%, i think it was, goes directly to the artist selling their music. this includes if the artist sells CDs or other merch. artists signed to a large company earns most of their money from live-gigs and selling merch.

but that's part of the fun buying CDs! going to a second-hand store/record store, getting a CD that looks interesting, and see what it contains. it's fun fun fun to do.

I've wasted a lot of money on CD's I thought were metal but turned out to be screamo or stupid rock music... :angry:

expand your musical tastes and appreciate more music! problem solved. :3

This stuff wasn't even that good, quality was bad, and was just noise most of the time. Some people just souldn't make sell music period.

• Brohoof 1

This stuff wasn't even that good, quality was bad, and was just noise most of the time. Some people just souldn't make sell music period.

well that's your opinion and i can't change that. people will still make, and sell, that kind of music though. that's something you can't change.

that's interesting... what CDs are you talking about?

I can't remember and I may have just picked some bad ones, I don't know. The main problem for me though is that most of the artists I listen to don't have a physical CD.

not exactly. CDs are mostly benefiting the company that produces the CDs (unless it's a tightly-knit nice independent one). if you buy music from places like Bandcamp, about 75%, i think it was, goes directly to the artist selling their music. this includes if the artist sells CDs or other merch. artists signed to a large company earns most of their money from live-gigs and selling merch.

Most CD's we buy are Independent or local, so profit margins are high. If it's mainstream we will usually steal download it from youtube. More popular online stores like, ITunes, and Amazon have commisions of close to 70% per track without a contract and around 40% with one

I prefer Physical copies of everything except maybe games because steam has turned into such an amazing service.

I have Many great record stores near me and it's almost impossible not to find the CD you want no matter how Underground it is.

I prefer CDs I have about 90 at home. It sucks that there are about 30 which I can't copy on my mp3 because the computer has a problem with reading them(probably because of some copy protection, most of them are new). I also like the booklets in them.

Only thing that really annoys me is how fast the CD cases are damaged and get scratched(moved 2 times=most of the CD cases look old) :/

I've been downloading music for a few years now, I don't trust buying CD's straight off the selves anymore, seeing as you don't know what you're really buying into if you haven't heard what's on it before. Too risking. Thank internet for downloading/previewing music. :D

Come on, that's half the fun of buying a CD!

Given the choice between a CD and a 320 KB/s MP3, I'll gladly take the CD any day, both for the satisfying feeling of owning a physical copy of the music and the visceral thrill of tearing the cellophane shrink-wrap off as well as PCM's glorious audio quality.

But given the choice between a CD and a 192 KHz FLAC...

Pinkie Pie Drooling.png

Hit me up with that FLAC!

It's really too bad that Blu-ray Audio never caught on... that gives you ridiculously high fidelity and a physical disc in the same package.

• Brohoof 3

Online. Easier to find, quicker to download than actually to buy (well, not always, but I can just do other stuff while it's downloading), can be higher quality, you can't physically lose it, and if I really need a CD, I'll just burn it.

Also, you can't pirate physical CDs.

Online. Easier to find, quicker to download than actually to buy (well, not always, but I can just do other stuff while it's downloading), can be higher quality, you can't physically lose it, and if I really need a CD, I'll just burn it.

Also, you can't pirate physical CDs.

Evilshy is....not a pirate