Do you have an online persona ?

Shankveld

127 users have voted

1. 1. Do you have an online persona?

• Yes, I'm nothing like myself irl
    • Yes, but it's just me with more confidence
    • No, what you see is what you'd get irl too
    • Yes, there are some things I change but other things are true to me irl

Well, I ACT the same online (I think,) but I call myself Kitty on most websites, and it's not my real name. I do wish it would become my real-life nickname though >_<

I'm pretty much my awesometacular self both online and offline.My only gripe is that I wish Cappy was my actual nickname instead of my virtual one on a few games I've played.I actually like the sound of Cappy,sounds very inviting and friendly to me for some reason. wub.png

Nope. I just write out what I would say if given time to respond to something someone said In real life. All I can be is myself so yeah.

I sort of used to, but over time I began to act the same way in real life as I do here or elsewhere on the internet. Either my personality's changed or I have a bit more confidence. Probably both actually.

I'm always using a persona online. Not just for forums, literally everything I use the interbutts for. Here I'm just a less shy and more confident version of myself. However if the need arises, I have at least 4 fully developed personas at my disposal. Not because I'm overly paranoid, it's just fun on a bun being anonymous for a bit.

My IRL me tends to be my mask where online I am myself. I grew up as a child who never expressed themselves publicly. So online I act as I truly feel (which I find is on the more dark, sarcastic and cynical side). Irl I pretty much keep to myself and act polite and such. So I have the issue of people seeing I act different when online and when offline.

In the real world, I'm just your simple 16 year old high school student with nothing better to do than eat, watch tv, and more eating. 

But on the internets... I take on the persona of a Pirate! or Mudkip, depends where I am.

I feel like I'm a little more mature on here. By this, I mean in real life, for whatever reason I have a tendency to say "like" a lot when I'm really concentrating on something. This makes me sound stupid, so people, especially adults, don't think I know what I'm talking about.

I also feel like I do have a lIttle more confidence on here. But not that much more. I feel like I do alright irl.

I'm far less formal in real life because if I talked such as I do on the forums on my leisure time my peers would not understand what I was speaking about.

The only difference between how I act online and offline, is how energetic I tend to be. This can directly be related to the fact that I'm far more confident speaking online than when my insecurities tend to get the better of me in a public environment.

That is to say, I'm actually over-energetic sometimes for no apparent reason.

(edited)

Believe it or not, I'm not actually this bubbly or spontaneous when I'm not online. I'm pretty sure that if I was I'd be institutionalized by now. It's not actually a persona persay, I'd actually say that the way I act online is more true to the way I think and perceive reality while the way I act in person is a reflection of what society expects of me.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

Well, yes, I do have a online personality. Online, I am alot less Fluttershy and more of my inner Scootaloo. 

I can make friends alot easier, as in real life it takes me about a week to make a new friend.

I tend to act more mature, sophisticated, and use a larger vocabulary online.

However outside everything internet I'm more playful and not as serious as I am online. However my personality will quickly change to my online persona when I am pissed, talking geeky, debating about a subject, or in a position where I can't joke around.

My personality online is more or less the same as it is in life. This hasn't always been so.

After some recent (as in the past few days) interactions with neighbors and the lady who cuts my hair, I've come to realize how much better I've become at communicating with people in person than on the internet. Until recently it was the opposite. I've developed much more confidence in myself and am no longer bothered by interacting with groups or strangers. On the other hand, talking to people online has gotten more difficult. I think it's because I rely too heavily on visual cues. I often find myself at a loss for what to say, even though I may feel that I shouldn't be having so much trouble. My choice of words is pretty much the same regardless of how we're interacting. Levels of concern, compassion, frustration, and any other expressions of reason or emotion are all pretty much the same. Words just don't come as readily to me in a real-time chat environment like Skype or IRC. This may sometimes give the impression of disinterest or annoyance when that's not at all the case. That would be obvious if we were sitting in the same room together, as I'm apparently much more expressive then.

My sense of humor and level of chillaxedness is pretty much the same online as it is irl these days.

An online persona? You mean, do I act differently online than in real life?

*Takes a puff on pipe and kicks feet up on a filly's head*

Nah, I act about the same.

After some recent (as in the past few days) interactions with neighbors and the lady who cuts my hair, I've come to realize how much better I've become at communicating with people in person than on the internet. Until recently it was the opposite. I've developed much more confidence in myself and am no longer bothered by interacting with groups or strangers. On the other hand, talking to people online has gotten more difficult. I think it's because I rely too heavily on visual cues. I often find myself at a loss for what to say, even though I may feel that I shouldn't be having so much trouble. My choice of words is pretty much the same regardless of how we're interacting. Levels of concern, compassion, frustration, and any other expressions of reason or emotion are all pretty much the same. Words just don't come as readily to me in a real-time chat environment like Skype or IRC. This may sometimes give the impression of disinterest or annoyance when that's not at all the case. That would be obvious if we were sitting in the same room together, as I'm apparently much more expressive then.

You know, I'm the same way, except not with talking online or in-person; I just can't communicate effectively over the phone. You want to text me, fine, you want to email me, awesome, you want to chat online with me, cool, you want to talk to me in person, that's ideal, but call me and I just can't seem to carry on a conversation properly. Perhaps it's similar to your issue where I need visual cues, but at the same time, that doesn't explain why I can talk just fine online and can't over the phone.

Perhaps everyone just has their own communication issue that's hard for them to address... I have no idea.

I am myself anywhere I go, online or otherwise.  I think making a persona is similar to cheating, in order to be more likable or get new friends, or whatever the reason. I believe everyone should stay true to themselves.

As for me (in greater detail)...

I don't want to voice all of my opinions online, since some are just easier to explain in person, and/or may start a flame war over what ever it is I am talking about. I am pretty blatant and blunt in person. I don't express every thought out loud, but if something is wrong, or something someone else is doing just isn't right (a good example is a white lie to not make someone feel bad).  The truth always hurts more but leaves no open wounds after it's all said and done (whereas a lingering lie with the truth coming out later often by accident can destroy lives and people will bleed in their hearts maybe for years to come). 

Other than that, I type in a better English than I talk.  I have a trademark upper Mid-western USA dialect/accent, whatever you want to call it (eh, don'tya know, aboot, don't got).  Yeah, IRL I tend to sound like an uneducated person, and my husband says in social situations I get worse since I'm so socially awkward...

Want my opinion? Only a coward would create a whole new persona and ONLY use it online. Especially if that persona is a serious A-hole. Everything I say anywhere online is how I feel in Real life. Except when I'm lying for the sake of a joke of course.

I'm the same on line as I am in real life.  Some of my ideas may be better expressed here though cause I have more time to think about what I'm gonna say before I post it.  Over all, its still 100% me, I don't feel like I need to be anybody else.  The only difference could be a slight boost in confidence on the forums, but when I get to know people better in real life I'm the same as I am here.  

• 1 month later...

No, because I hate to lie about what I feel. I act the same in real life as I do online. Although none of you would've guessed that I am a teenager.

I'm pretty much the same on the internet as I am IRL. Except IRL I am MUCH MUCH  less social. In fact, I have a hard time socializing in real life to just about anyone. That's why I use the internet actually, except online gaming or watching something (MLP, RvB, etc.)

• 7 years later...
(edited)

Well I'm just a little bit more expressive online, but not always with being shy socially irl, but I'm mostly st same.

Edited by StarrySkyDash

I'm really not too sure. I'm mostly the same, I think, except sometimes I'm just a little bit more confident online than off. These days it really doesn't differ much, though.

I definitely have not intentionally crafted separate "personas". AFAIK I have the exact same personality on and offline.

The differences that do exist are just due to subject matter. I don't talk ponies with my coworkers, and I don't talk about C++ object lifetime semantics here, so they're going to get a slightly different impression of me than you're getting, and that's probably harmless or maybe even a good thing.