Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Magic the Gathering Thread

Evilshy

69 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite Color? Yes, you must pick just one (color combos are a bit further down)

• White
    • Blue
    • Black
    • Red
    • Green
  2. 2. What formats do you play?

• Standard
    • Modern
    • Legacy
    • Vintage
    • Limited (draft, sealed, etc)
    • EDH/Commander
    • Other casual formats (Highlander, Prsimatic, Pauper, 2HG, etc.)
  3. 3. Favorite Color combos? (nicknames because I feel like it)

• WU (Azorius)
    • WB (Orzhov
    • WR (Boros)
    • WG (Selesnya)
    • UB (Dimir)
    • UR (Izzet)
    • UG (Simic)
    • BR (Rakdos)
    • BG (Golgari)
    • RG (Gruul)
    • WUG (Bant)
    • WUB (Esper, dubstep)
    • BUR (Grixis)
    • RBG (Jund)
    • GWR (Naya)
    • WBR (Oros, Kaalia)
    • URG (Intet, Animar, rug)
    • BWG (Teneb, Ghave)
    • RWU (America)
    • GUB (Vorosh, Mimeoplasm, bug)
  4. 4. Player type? Mark all that apply

• Spike (plays to win. Not afraid to use "cheap" strategies to do so)
    • Johnny (building decks is just as fun as playing them. Looks for weird combos and deck ideas, and plays mostly for fun. Tries to win in unique ways)
    • Timmy (the most casual player. Likes decks and cards because they're fun and/or cool to use, even if they're not very good.)
    • Vorthos (judges cards more by flavor, and how the card is when everything, from name to art to text, fits together)
    • Melvin (Judges cards more by mechanics, looking at how different effects piece together, on individual cards and between them)

I want to make a Land-Bounce deck based on Crucible of Worlds, Landfall, Non-basic lands with effects and things that force sacrificing lands. I think it could be deadly.

I've made decks like that. Cards such as:

Smokestack

Tanglewire

Wasteland (and Tetonic Edge, Strip Mine, etc.)

Smallpox (and Pox and Death Cloud)

World Qweller

There's a Legacy deck, Stax, that uses a similar strategy. Also, Death and Taxes can be built like this, depending on format, but it's a bit less land focused and just about restricting the opponent. I play a pretty heavy land control package in my Modern D&T deck, and it works pretty well.

I've made decks like that. Cards such as:

Smokestack

Tanglewire

Wasteland (and Tetonic Edge, Strip Mine, etc.)

Smallpox (and Pox and Death Cloud)

World Qweller

There's a Legacy deck, Stax, that uses a similar strategy. Also, Death and Taxes can be built like this, depending on format, but it's a bit less land focused and just about restricting the opponent. I play a pretty heavy land control package in my Modern D&T deck, and it works pretty well.

Oh, I wasn't talking about bouncing my enemy's lands, but my own. Crucible of Worlds allows me to play lands from the graveyeard, so if I combine that with  Lesser Gargadon, or Countryside Crusher, or Cosi's Ravanger I can repeatedly play the lands I sacrifice to deal damage/Allow creatures to attack/gain +1/+1, or anything else.

Oh, I wasn't talking about bouncing my enemy's lands, but my own. Crucible of Worlds allows me to play lands from the graveyeard, so if I combine that with  Lesser Gargadon, or Countryside Crusher, or Cosi's Ravanger I can repeatedly play the lands I sacrifice to deal damage/Allow creatures to attack/gain +1/+1, or anything else.

Well, you'd be getting tons of use out of your Crucible anyway because all of those cards are symmetrical. I run 2 in my D&T so I can recur Ghost Quarter and Tec Edge :P

Countryside Crusher is fun, but Ravager and Gargadon leave a lot to be desired, IMO. Turn 4 is a bit much to be starting a 1-2 damage per turn effect. Gargadon really needs haste or trample or something. A 6/4 for 4 is great, but to sac a land possibly EVERY turn, it needs some combat ability to make it really worth it.

I'd do something with Fetchlands (or even stuff like Evolving Wilds) combined with creatures like Plated Geopede and Steppe Lynx. Cheap creatures that can get huge after a few land drops, and with a Crucible, you will be getting at least 2 landfall triggers every turn. More if you leave a few fetches on the battlefield to use at once, throw in some green for ramp, maybe some Wayfarer's Baubles and Explorer's Scopes if you go without green.

I made a monored landfall deck like that once. All those cards I just mentioned, Koth, Zektar Shrine Expedition, Spire Barrage, Seismic Strike, Downhill Charge, Landslide, good times :)

• 7 months later...

I've never really watched much pro magic, but I'll occasionally watch the really interesting games after the fact. I'm just too busy with work.

I've never really watched much pro magic, but I'll occasionally watch the really interesting games after the fact. I'm just too busy with work.

It was on the weekend and i got it off this week, so i got to watch a little of the top 8, I'm happy some control decks got in there. I never play aggro so i can still get by with the control i have :)

• 6 months later...

So I am still all about the digital versions of MAgic, that being the Duels of Planeswalker series which is good for what it is. Sadly, Magic Duels Origins has been a pretty colossal disappointment but hopefully they improve it with the big update they are supposedly working on, they want to release that before they release Battle For Zendikar. I really want to try that out.

Anyone else feel the same way towards the game? I want to love it be cause it has amazing potential as a massive MTG game and since that is how I like to play it, that is perfect for me, but at the moment, the game stings a little. 

Have played some of the previous DotP.

Preferred 2015, but the deck editing is a little limited.

Shame it's not possible to get 4xRares :(

May try Origins on PC

Have use Cockatrice before, but even after saying "go easy, new to cockatrice" I was still blasted with "newb" etc

Shame when you may have been playing/collecting for longer than they've been alive (MTG since '96)

• 4 weeks later...

I notice that Lostwanderer never followed up on the "I'll take pictures of my swag" comments.

Talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk ;)

(Okay, LWs been inactive for a while, but still, should have followed up the boast :) )

I'm sorry to say that my swag is much cooler :P, i'll take a pciture of it today if i can find my camera. So much swag :3

Careful how loud you bark, you might wake the big dogs up ;)

• 7 months later...