Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Magic the Gathering Thread

Evilshy

69 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite Color? Yes, you must pick just one (color combos are a bit further down)

• White
    • Blue
    • Black
    • Red
    • Green
  2. 2. What formats do you play?

• Standard
    • Modern
    • Legacy
    • Vintage
    • Limited (draft, sealed, etc)
    • EDH/Commander
    • Other casual formats (Highlander, Prsimatic, Pauper, 2HG, etc.)
  3. 3. Favorite Color combos? (nicknames because I feel like it)

• WU (Azorius)
    • WB (Orzhov
    • WR (Boros)
    • WG (Selesnya)
    • UB (Dimir)
    • UR (Izzet)
    • UG (Simic)
    • BR (Rakdos)
    • BG (Golgari)
    • RG (Gruul)
    • WUG (Bant)
    • WUB (Esper, dubstep)
    • BUR (Grixis)
    • RBG (Jund)
    • GWR (Naya)
    • WBR (Oros, Kaalia)
    • URG (Intet, Animar, rug)
    • BWG (Teneb, Ghave)
    • RWU (America)
    • GUB (Vorosh, Mimeoplasm, bug)
  4. 4. Player type? Mark all that apply

• Spike (plays to win. Not afraid to use "cheap" strategies to do so)
    • Johnny (building decks is just as fun as playing them. Looks for weird combos and deck ideas, and plays mostly for fun. Tries to win in unique ways)
    • Timmy (the most casual player. Likes decks and cards because they're fun and/or cool to use, even if they're not very good.)
    • Vorthos (judges cards more by flavor, and how the card is when everything, from name to art to text, fits together)
    • Melvin (Judges cards more by mechanics, looking at how different effects piece together, on individual cards and between them)

I enjoy playing MTG but, there is no one I can play with except my brothers. I also wouldn't want to travel 20 miles to the city to go play with some dudes on a Friday night either...I do love my absolute artifact deck though.

I enjoy playing MTG but, there is no one I can play with except my brothers. I also wouldn't want to travel 20 miles to the city to go play with some dudes on a Friday night either...I do love my absolute artifact deck though.

If It is white you should get some Posted ImagePosted Image

Hell yeah I do! I have a red/black deck. And if they're alone:

Black: destroys your deck

Red: destroys your creatures and plenty of aftereffects.

I once played MTG long ago when the newest expansion was Kamigawa pack. I one completed Mirodin's core sets. Heck, I even got enough rare cards to buy a brand new car ^_^

Sad for twilight, A blue white deck will have a hard time to beat a well-built red green deck

I once played MTG long ago when the newest expansion was Kamigawa pack. I one completed Mirodin's core sets. Heck, I even got enough rare cards to buy a brand new car ^_^

Sad for twilight, A blue white deck will have a hard time to beat a well-built red green deck

A new car :o man some cards are expensive :blink: Edited by BeanOfTheSoy

You have no idea :unsure:

I know enough dimwitted people with some cash who are willing to pay lots of bits for a mere shiny paper. Just like the fabled 'black lotus' and time lapse. You can't use them in any normal games anymore, but damn they're expensive because of their sheer power

You have no idea :unsure:

I know enough dimwitted people with some cash who are willing to pay lots of bits for a mere shiny paper. Just like the fabled 'black lotus' and time lapse. You can't use them in any normal games anymore, but damn they're expensive because of their sheer power

and plainswalkers all they ever do is become targets and put in the grave yard in like 2 turns but that dosen't stop people from paying like 90 bucks a piece for them :mellow:

Nice pic there :P I've been trying to get myself into MTG through the demo on the 360 and Steam... It's definitely got me thinking about playing it :P Requires you to REALLY think on what cards you should play, and when you should play them... It's interesting, for sure...

Oh god, I play MTG sooooooo much...

I pretty much only play EDH and a little modern. In modern, I run a goblin deck which does fairly well, I'm only missing a few goblin guides and a few things I want for my sideboard (such as magus of the moon).

My EDH decks are:

Niv-Mizzet (UR control+card draw)

Ghave (GBW token and counter shenanigans)

Mimeoplasm (UBG graveyard shenanigans, usually just stacking my graveyard with fatties and then casting living death off Boseiju mana:))

Ruhan (RWU control, with an emphasis on creature steal and fatties)

I'm thinking of making a jhoira EDH, the concept of which is basically to just suspend field wipe and huge creatures and put the game on a nigh-unstoppable four turn clock. Other ideas are a mikaeus + cauldron of souls to make all my creatures come back from the graveyard whenever they die, or to make a deck based around darksteel forge + mycosynth lattice + nevinyarls disk to make it so I can destroy everything my opponents have for 1 mana whenever I want *evil grin*

I have a fun little standard deck that uses heartless summoning with creatures that have 1 toughness and a "dies" trigger, like viridian emissary or perilous myr. I get cheap creatures that function as spells, and load up my graveyard with creatures, allowing me to drop a ghoultree for like 3 mana, or a 10/10 splinterfright or something.

these are my favorite cards

Posted Image

and a lotus of mana i think its called, but i dident find any pictures of it :(

Chandra ablaze sucks... She's only kind of useful in mono-red, and if your opponent can survive long enough for you to cast her, then you're playing red wrong.

Chandra the firebrand is the best Chandra:

Posted Image

Free ping every turn from her +1, her -2 is basically a reusable fork. Her -6 is okay, but the -2 is the good part. And she only costs 4 as opposed to 5 and 6 for nalaar and ablaze respectively.

And I think you're thinking of Black Lotus. It's one of the most broken cards ever.

Edited by Evilshy

I have exactly half a deck, I should learn how to play this. I have the game on Steam though, but it doesn't have a deckbuilder :(

Yeah, DotP isn't that great. It's nice for an introduction and to learn the rules, but the lack of deck building sucks; deck building is practically half the game. If you want to learn, I can teach you.

Also, there's a free program called Magic Workstation that's just a deckbuilder and an online client, so you can play against others online. I'd advise against playing against people on there until you have a good grasp of the game, though. Most people use it to test out their expensive, high-end tournament decks before they buy the actual cards.

I've always been interested in the game but never really got into it because I never really knew anyone who was into it.

Where would be a good place to start if I wanna get into it?

Find the Friday night magic place near you. say that you want to try the game and they would probable help you out.

Yeah, DotP isn't that great. It's nice for an introduction and to learn the rules, but the lack of deck building sucks; deck building is practically half the game. If you want to learn, I can teach you.

Also, there's a free program called Magic Workstation that's just a deckbuilder and an online client, so you can play against others online. I'd advise against playing against people on there until you have a good grasp of the game, though. Most people use it to test out their expensive, high-end tournament decks before they buy the actual cards.

Thing with Magic is, like most cardgames, it's nice have deckbuilders, but you basically need to know which cards are useful pooled together for a deck. I'm pretty much noob on the cards.

I do realize when building a deck you need to win with only one health remaining and not by powerplaying and damaging your enemy to - 250 HP in one turn.

It's easy to lose track on how to play this game. But I know some friends so I can get hints.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to find such a place. >_<

Unless you mean like an offiical store or gathering place or something rather than just a get-together type thing...

I don't think there are official magic stores, but their are plenty of card and hobby shops that predominantly deal in magic cards. Many also have yugioh and pokemon, and some also have other games, like D&D and warhammer. Just find one and go in and express your desire to play magic.

As for where to start card wise, I'd recommend getting a deckbuilders toolkit. There $20, and have IIRC 250 cards in them. They have several semi-random groups of cards that you can build decks with (by semi-random, I mean there are groups of cards that are all related to each other, and each deckbuilders toolkit has a few of these.) as well as a land pack containing a ton of basic lands, and a few booster packs (15 random cards; 11 commons, 3 uncommons, 1 rare. About 1/15 of packs have a mythic rare instead of a rare.)

It's a pretty big subject. If you want more online help, I'd recommend registering at gamefaqs.com and going to the Magic:the gathering board. We have a very helpful community there. Also, you can PM me with rules questions and stuff.