Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Magic the Gathering Thread

Evilshy

69 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite Color? Yes, you must pick just one (color combos are a bit further down)

• White
    • Blue
    • Black
    • Red
    • Green
  2. 2. What formats do you play?

• Standard
    • Modern
    • Legacy
    • Vintage
    • Limited (draft, sealed, etc)
    • EDH/Commander
    • Other casual formats (Highlander, Prsimatic, Pauper, 2HG, etc.)
  3. 3. Favorite Color combos? (nicknames because I feel like it)

• WU (Azorius)
    • WB (Orzhov
    • WR (Boros)
    • WG (Selesnya)
    • UB (Dimir)
    • UR (Izzet)
    • UG (Simic)
    • BR (Rakdos)
    • BG (Golgari)
    • RG (Gruul)
    • WUG (Bant)
    • WUB (Esper, dubstep)
    • BUR (Grixis)
    • RBG (Jund)
    • GWR (Naya)
    • WBR (Oros, Kaalia)
    • URG (Intet, Animar, rug)
    • BWG (Teneb, Ghave)
    • RWU (America)
    • GUB (Vorosh, Mimeoplasm, bug)
  4. 4. Player type? Mark all that apply

• Spike (plays to win. Not afraid to use "cheap" strategies to do so)
    • Johnny (building decks is just as fun as playing them. Looks for weird combos and deck ideas, and plays mostly for fun. Tries to win in unique ways)
    • Timmy (the most casual player. Likes decks and cards because they're fun and/or cool to use, even if they're not very good.)
    • Vorthos (judges cards more by flavor, and how the card is when everything, from name to art to text, fits together)
    • Melvin (Judges cards more by mechanics, looking at how different effects piece together, on individual cards and between them)

I have a lot of great decks, but the deck I use the most is my white/blue deck. It has Vensor's Journal in it which allows me to have a infinite hand size and gives me plus one life for every card in my hand at during my upkeep. I end up having like 67 life at the end of the duel.

I had such low leveled artifacts in my cards they could be summoned without land or with just one and returned to the deck fairly quickly afterwards. I think I had someone with the same cards as you. That one took a good hour to play. We agreed to never do that again.

Still, I wish the digital game was able to play around with editable decks.

i stopped playing awhile back becuse it was getting a bit too exspencive for me but now ive goten back into it with the dark asension set and managed to get a werewolve deck going. also im quite happy that Garruk is in the 2013 set because now i can keep him in my side deck with my infinute life combo :)

• 1 month later...

Well i looked and there is no official magic the gathering thread. so i makeing one.

Talk about decks that you made.

New sets that are coming out.

strategy, and ways to play

all game types. Standard, extended, Modern, booster drafts ect..

days that you play, ie FNM ect...

Most of all just have fun ^_^

Edited by darkmist

Tonight as FNM I'm going to be using my self-mill deck. It is pretty awesome, and it's been getting better every week as I improve on its flaws.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/corpse-elemental-splinterfright-xd/

I don't play control very much because I don't find it too fun and it costs more money. I prefer to play deck types that nobody else plays.

Example, my best decks have been Curses, Venser, Red Fatties, and equipements. I would never play a net-deck, I find the idea very boring and too predictable

Me and a friend are gonna start playing MTG as a way to balance out our Yugioh addictions. I'm planning to buy a intro Light deck and see where I can go from there, as I'm completely clueless with this game.

Me and a friend are gonna start playing MTG as a way to balance out our Yugioh addictions. I'm planning to buy a intro Light deck and see where I can go from there, as I'm completely clueless with this game.

"light" deck??

*sigh*

We have a lot of work ahead of us, Never. PM me, I love talking about magic, and as a former pretty hardcore yugioh player, I can definitely help with the transition :)

"light" deck??

*checks spare manual, sees WHITE magic*

Oh for the love of...

We have a lot of work ahead of us, Never. PM me, I love talking about magic, and as a former pretty hardcore yugioh player, I can definitely help with the transition :)

You sure about that? The transition part would be good to go through though, so I'm grateful for the offer.

Ah yes a magic thread. I was wondering when I'd see on here.

On topic: My Red/White humans (With Hellrider) had some awesome success at FNM yesterday. All wins no losses (For once). I do get sick of the overabundance of Delver and fast infect at my local store. Oh well, once the rotation comes around all will change.

Oh well, once the rotation comes around all will change.

Yeah, infect is kicked out the door and delver loses mana leak =3 can't wait.

My FNM didn't do well, but I'm still learning with the deck, adding the Jellyfish card from M13 in for added control

Yeah, infect is kicked out the door and delver loses mana leak =3 can't wait.

My FNM didn't do well, but I'm still learning with the deck, adding the Jellyfish card from M13 in for added control

It will be all fun next week however at my local FNM. Modern for the first time in a while. I can use my oh so fun coin flip deck. :D

Its not online but this is what its got in it:

Creatures:

4 Creepy Doll

2 Karplusan Minotaur

4 Angelic Wall

Artefacts:

4 Krark's Thumb

2 Manalith

Spells:

4 Mana Clash

4 Fiery Gambit

4 Lightning Helix

Enchantments:

4 Manabarbs

4 Personal Sanctuary

4 Lightmine Field

Land:

4 Clifftop Retreat

7 Plains

7 Mountain

2 Reliquary Tower

Still have to come up with a sideboard.

Edited by Ion

I use MagicDeckBuilder usually, I just haven't uploaded that particular decklist there yet. I put it together last week out of stuff I already have.

And of course its a bit obnoxious. Thats the point. The funniest thing the deck has done so far is chain 4 Fiery Gambits in a row with a Karplusan Minotaur in play killing my opponent despite being on 1 life. He has not happy.

Funniest thing I've ever done was during an EDH game. I was playing Niv-Mizzet against... Don't remember who, but he had a lot of white and blue.

Anyway, obviously, Nivvy needs to target the player to win, and this guy drops an ivory mask, as well as something that protected it. I had all but given up on winning since I couldn't get past the mask, but then, I had a brilliant idea.

I used an infinite draw combo, using elixir of immortality to stop from drawing myself to death, all the while discarding cards to Mind over Matter to continually tap and untap my opponent's City of Brass to kill him :)

• Brohoof 1

I just use the Curiosity combo with Niv Mizzet (Draw a card, ping your opponent for one then draw again because of curiosity. Then ping for one again, and draw a card and so on, so on).

In everything but large multiplayer games you will always kill your opponenet if they can't kill him straight away. Just waiting for the duel deck in a few weeks so I can my 4th Niv Mizzet.

My best moments happened during and EDH / Planechase 4-way. Three of us were getting dominated by this other guy. And then he cast Army of the Damned, then flashed it back, so he has 26 zombies. He was going to attack everybody on his next turn and we were all going to lose. However, when I rolled the planechase die we got to planeswalk away to this plane:

Posted Image

That bought everybody enough time to catch up, it ended up being the longest game of Magic I've ever played!

• Brohoof 1

I just use the Curiosity combo with Niv Mizzet (Draw a card, ping your opponent for one then draw again because of curiosity. Then ping for one again, and draw a card and so on, so on).

In everything but large multiplayer games you will always kill your opponenet if they can't kill him straight away. Just waiting for the duel deck in a few weeks so I can my 4th Niv Mizzet.

Yeah, but with Ivory Mask out, I couldn't target him :/

And I actually prefer Ophidian Eye to Curiosity, since it has flash, so I can tap Nivvy and the flash it in, giving less time for people to respond. Mind Over Matter works as well, and is also great for tons of other stuff.

So I recently discovered a program called cockatrice that lets magic users play online for free against each other and have come up with some pretty boss combos

one of my current decks that I'm running online is pretty boss and will devastate quickly is as follows

Creatures: 20

Artifacts: 4Enchantments: 3Instants: 6Sorceries: 8Land: 23
  • |6x| Forest
  • |17x| Island
Total cards 64.

This deck will have one of my ultimates on the field on turn three a good 75 percent of the time and by turn 5 100% of the time when starting hand is kept.

I have several other decks as well that I can post, but this one is good for this post. Don't wanna post all of them at once.

Edited by Ice Storm
  • Brohoof 1

Cockatrice is good, i might actually run a tornament for it sometime.

Funniest thing i've done in EDH, i was playing Nivmizzet, because i'm a mean person like that. Cast curiosity targeting Niv mizzet, he goes, Go for the throat, in response, ophidian's eye. He was pissed.

OKay, if i do decide to run a tornament via cockatrice, what format would we like to see played?