Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Magic the Gathering Thread

Evilshy

69 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite Color? Yes, you must pick just one (color combos are a bit further down)

• White
    • Blue
    • Black
    • Red
    • Green
  2. 2. What formats do you play?

• Standard
    • Modern
    • Legacy
    • Vintage
    • Limited (draft, sealed, etc)
    • EDH/Commander
    • Other casual formats (Highlander, Prsimatic, Pauper, 2HG, etc.)
  3. 3. Favorite Color combos? (nicknames because I feel like it)

• WU (Azorius)
    • WB (Orzhov
    • WR (Boros)
    • WG (Selesnya)
    • UB (Dimir)
    • UR (Izzet)
    • UG (Simic)
    • BR (Rakdos)
    • BG (Golgari)
    • RG (Gruul)
    • WUG (Bant)
    • WUB (Esper, dubstep)
    • BUR (Grixis)
    • RBG (Jund)
    • GWR (Naya)
    • WBR (Oros, Kaalia)
    • URG (Intet, Animar, rug)
    • BWG (Teneb, Ghave)
    • RWU (America)
    • GUB (Vorosh, Mimeoplasm, bug)
  4. 4. Player type? Mark all that apply

• Spike (plays to win. Not afraid to use "cheap" strategies to do so)
    • Johnny (building decks is just as fun as playing them. Looks for weird combos and deck ideas, and plays mostly for fun. Tries to win in unique ways)
    • Timmy (the most casual player. Likes decks and cards because they're fun and/or cool to use, even if they're not very good.)
    • Vorthos (judges cards more by flavor, and how the card is when everything, from name to art to text, fits together)
    • Melvin (Judges cards more by mechanics, looking at how different effects piece together, on individual cards and between them)

Just remembered about an old Legacy deck I still have somewhere around here. It was actually the first deck I ever built, and it still runs so smooth after a couple mulligans.

Creatures (16):

4x Mycoloth

4x Joraga Tree Speaker

4x Nest Invader

4x Kozilek's Predator

Instants (8):

2x Go For the Throat

2x Doom Blade

2x Path to Exile

2x Swords to Plowshares

Sorceries (13):

3x Harmonize

4x Diabolic Intent

4x Primal Growth

2x Nature's Lore

Artifacts (1):

1x Eldrazi Monument

Enchantments (4):

2x Awakening Zone

2x Oblivion Ring

Lands (18):

2x Murmuring Bosk

2x Yavamaya's Hollow

8x Forest

3x Swamp

3x Plains

Yes, this land has 18 lands. Surprisingly, it can easily get away with it. First turn Joraga Tree Speaker and access to 2 mana = this deck being golden. Mycoloth turn three while devouring just 3 things can be kind of devastating. I'd run the legendary Eldrazi, this deck has the ability to use them, but I don't find them as fun.

Edited by Eavath

Cockatrice is good, i might actually run a tornament for it sometime.

OKay, if i do decide to run a tornament via cockatrice, what format would we like to see played?

I like Modern, personally. But Standard once RTR drops, because IZZET WILL BE IN STANDARD AGAIN FUCK YEAH UR FOR LIFE

I never played before. I had some cards that a friend gave me, but i don't have anyone to play. So, i never played.

ah a new player it's a lot fun once you get to know all the cards actions, but you will pick it up quick

Well once again it's FNM tonight, hopefully I'll get to pick up what I need before I get to the tournament. What are you guys running tonight? I'm still going to try my G/U self-mill deck, but with more control cards than before.

My local store was supposed to be doing a modern event, but instead we ended up doing standard (It was changed midweek, but I wasn't told).

I used my mono Green Genesis Wave Elf deck. Won 3-0 so I'm not complaining. First game I was against Self Mill, and in both games they had a slow start. Slow starts die to Genesis Wave ramp decks.

Second game was against a 4 colour reanimator deck. First game I had an awesome hand and threw out a turn 4 Craterhoof Behemoth (With 5 other elves already in play with only the Archdruid tapped). Second game he didn't seem to be able to get any red or black mana (I killed his Bop's with Prey Upon) and he couldn't recover.

Third game was against White Weenie. First round I got 3 Elvish Archdruids into play by turn 4 (2 in my hand and 1 by Green Sun) followed by turn 5 Genesis Wave for 13. Turn 6 I played a pair of Crafterhoof Behemoths and won. Second round almost the same thing happened (Only the genesis wave was cast for 8 instead).

So i lookd at the new spoilers for return to Ravnica, much rejoicing was to be had with the spoiling of Shock lands :D, seems like they're trying to push modern, and i ahve no problem with this.

Nooooooo!!! Simic lands are not returning yet :angry: My G/U is going to be terrible compared to many of the other colored pairs :( Hopefully there's some G/U support in the set. So far no good cards to add to my deck. Hopefully a cool PW comes around.

Nooooooo!!! Simic lands are not returning yet :angry: My G/U is going to be terrible compared to many of the other colored pairs :( Hopefully there's some G/U support in the set. So far no good cards to add to my deck. Hopefully a cool PW comes around.

DW the breeding pool will be in gate crash, so it's all good :D. I've never been this stoked for a set. I'm so excited, much rejoicing to be had.

So thosegoing to the PR, which guild are you intending to play? I myself have chosen Golgari(Black green)

I'm going back to Izzet (Overload is looking to be a very good rule), as I played them in the old Ravnica block and I will again. All glory to the Firemind!!

Anyways what do people think of the new spoilers? (And new Jace)

Jace, Architect of Thought:

(2UU)

Planeswalker - Jace

[+1]: Until your next turn, whenever a creature an opponent controls attacks, it gets -1/-0 until end of turn.

[-2]: Reveal the top three cards of your library. An opponent separates those cards into two piles. Put one pile into your hand and the other on the bottom of your library in any order.

[-8]: For each player, search that player's library for a nonland card and exile it, then that player shuffles his or her library. You may cast those cards without paying their mana costs.

{4}

Posted Image

And some of my other faves from the spoiled cards:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ion
  • Brohoof 1

DW the breeding pool will be in gate crash, so it's all good :D. I've never been this stoked for a set. I'm so excited, much rejoicing to be had.

So thosegoing to the PR, which guild are you intending to play? I myself have chosen Golgari(Black green)

But, that's like in 3 more months :( Does anyone know for sure if Birds of Paradise is coming back at least?

Also I havn't decided what guild I'm doing because I'm not sure if I can make it to the prerelease this time. I might be on the road.

Anyways what do people think of the new spoilers? (And new Jace)

I like the art style this set has at least, some of these other cards look like really creative design. I'm glad Scars of Mirrodin is rotating out. That set had the most broken and badly designed cards ever. Most of the bombs seemed like

Person 1: "let's see, what's the most broken we can put on a card?"

Person 1: (designs the Swords, obliterator, praetors, wurmcoil, batterskull)

Person 2: "But sir, none of these make sense flavorfully and are too powerfull!"

Person 1: "Who cares? They're strong, going to be worth a lot of money, and going to be able to singlehandedly win you games. What's not to like?

Me: :mellow:

The local card shop has such a great owner :)

I'm going to be at college for the pre-release, so I'll miss out on it. But hell if I'm not getting an Izzet promo and Izzet dice!

So the store owner is like "hey, that's cool, just pre-order your spot in the pre-release, declare Izzet, give me a few bucks for shipping, and I'll mail it to you." :D

Infinite slivers! deal with it!

post-7636-0-77154600-1346647317_thumb.jpg

gemhide sliver gives: tap a sliver get one mana, heartstone reduces sliver Queen's effect by 1, sliver queen makes a sliver, heart sliver gives it haste, and it taps for mana, sliver queen makes a sliver...

OH GOD NEW NIV MIZZET FUCK YEAH I AM SO HAPPY SWEET FUCKING JESUS I WANT IT RIGHT FUCKING NOW GIVE IT TO ME OH YES I LOVE YOU NIVVY I WANT YOU I WANT YOU NOW

Ahem. Just having an URgasm there...

New Niv-Mizzet is awesome, by the way.

Nah, man. It's Izzet > Golgari > Dimir > Orzhov > Gruul > other guilds. I would like Rakdos more if they were less suicidal. We'll see how they do in RTR, though.

Anybody else feel that mono-red is getting screwed over this rotation? It is losing all it's best cards.

-Any 1 mana 2 damage instants

-arc trail

-koth of the hammer

-chandra's phoenix

-shrine of burning rage

I doubt there's going to be a new red PW until Gatecrash, because the new Gideon is obviously going to be R/W (unless he comes out this set, but I doubt it)

I have a really old elf deck, but thought werewolves were neat too.

I was curious if there were any doll cards in the game

Yugioh dont have enough

There is Creepy Doll (Which is basically Chuckie in all but appearance):

Posted Image

And Stuffy Doll (A Voodo Doll):

Posted Image

And Heap Doll (A Scarecrow Doll):

Posted Image

Anybody else feel that mono-red is getting screwed over this rotation? It is losing all it's best cards.

-Any 1 mana 2 damage instants

-arc trail

-koth of the hammer

-chandra's phoenix

-shrine of burning rage

I doubt there's going to be a new red PW until Gatecrash, because the new Gideon is obviously going to be R/W (unless he comes out this set, but I doubt it)

While Red is losing a few neat cards here and there, you could always play the troll mono red stuffy doll deck xD. So stuffy doll and blasphemous act, it's reall funny. As for Gideon being red white, keep in mind everyone said the nex jace would be blue red.

Okay, I’m going to go to my first FNM tomorrow I think. I believe I’ve stated before I’m a fairly new player and I don’t have play sets of everything (which is so annoying) but I’m going to post this deck and hopefully you guys can critique it and perhaps give me some tips or advice on the deck. It is a blue/back by the way

Instants/Sorcery:

Index x2

Murder x4

Negate x4

Essence Scatter x2

Rewind x2 (I’d like to run 4 of these)

Dissipate x1 (I’d also like to run 4 of these)

and Bone to Ash x1

Artifacts:

Ring of Xathrid x2

Ring of Evos Isle x2

Creatures:

Fog Bank x3

Vampire Nighthawk x3

Archaeomancer x4

Xathrid Gorgon x2

Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis x2

Stormtide Leviathan x2

Lands:

Swamps x9

Islands x12

Drowned Catacomb x3 (I’d also like to run 4 of these as well)

So what do you guys think? I’ve played it quite a few times and it does work, but I think it could be much better.

Edited by Flying Whales