Passion Page

72 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Well, i dont like Pinkies Humor and find her Character to be annoying, so...i really disliked this Episode, i dont hate it though, because i liked Twilight and found her research cute.

Also im not sure what the lesson even means in real life...so, there are things that your friends do, that makes no sense, so you should accept it, because trying to think about it, is wrong? What could someone actually do in real life, that would be as weird as this? What is the real life version of Pinkies sixth sense? People who predict the future as well? Im not sure that any normal Person would do it, since most of them do it professionally and want money for it.

Uh, whatever.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, that moral still doesn't make much sense to me. What's the real-world application? And furthermore, why shouldn't Twilight try to understand it? I'd think believing in something would make one want to explain it even more, and I have no idea what her actual reason was for giving up her resistance. Wait, so it makes sense at the moment when you've just gotten the least evidence for it? What? There's some real-world applicability regarding trusting others' expertise, but the climax and exact phrasing render it all rather murky and unclear.

Which is, again, a huge bummer, because otherwise this episode is absolutely glorious. Give slapstick of this quality a more coherent plot and you'd absolutely have one of the show's best episodes, and 90% of it truly deserves that title. The gags are just so tightly paced, like a classic Looney Tunes cartoon or something - and you can see the Warner Bros. inspiration. Up until that muddled ending, I'm a huge fan of this episode, and altogether that leaves me still very fond of it. 

Score:

Entertainment: 10/10

Characters: 9/10

Themes: 4/10

Story: 6/10

Overall: 73/100

Also, shoutout to Fluttershy repeating "a hop, a skip, and a jump." This season has more continuity than any of the others, I swear. 

• 1 month later...

pinkie pie speaks frog LOL, why am i surprised? mad scientist twilight was great as well. froggy bottom bog is really pretty, aand... surprise hydra lol! and then princess celestia drops in, great ending!

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I enjoyed this episode until the end. The leap of faith didn’t work with the rest of the episode. The doozy being a self fulfilling prophecy didn’t seem to work the way any of the other Pinkie Senses work.

I also did not like seeing Twilight injured. The ponies have taken hits and such before without injury, and it would have worked better for me if they did that with her.

Otherwise, I did enjoy it. Celestia falling out of the sky was my favorite part of the episode.

As for the moral, I’m in the “It wasn’t about blind faith” camp. Well, the leap of faith was, but that didn’t really fit with the rest of the episode. :lol: 

• 2 months later...

The moral of this episode is a mess but everyone already knows that. Instead of saying that you should just believe anything you can't understand, it should've something similar to having an open mind and not just trying to prove that you're right with minimal evidence. Outside of the moral, the episode is hit or miss. There are some iconic scenes like the exploding twice exchange and the bunch of stuff falling from the sky and crashing on Twilight, but there's a lot of badly timed slapstick and jokes that fall flat. I also really don't like that through the entire episode, Twilight is abused until she finally gives in and stops trying to understand Pinkie Sense. The hydra was pretty cool though.

Score: 3/10

• 1 month later...

Uh, so I like this episode, but I'll be honest, there isn't really much to it. Most of what goes on here makes zero sense. The whole gimmick is that Pinkie Pie has this Pinkie Sense thing and nobody understands it. That pretty much summaries how this entire episode is as a whole. It's not really supposed to make sense, but it just kind of works.

The episode focuses more on comedy and slapstick, which to it's credit, is done well. It reminded me more of Looney Tunes than MLP, but I enjoyed the jokes and gags. There aren't really a lot of episodes like this one, so it does stand out. One thing I can definitely compliment the episode on, is that the focus on slapstick really allowed the animation to shine. I think it's one of the most expressive and best looking episodes from season 1.

I think it was quite interesting to have an episode which looks at the dynamic between Twilight and Pinkie, which are both basically the complete opposite to one another. One is completely logical and the other is...Pinkie. I thought it was neat and made me like Pinkie a lot more. The lesson is not good. I understand the meaning of it, but because of the whole context of the episode, it doesn't really come out that well.

This episode does not really have any story to it, which does kind of make it difficult to talk about, but it succeeds in being funny and easy to watch. Good episode to shut your brain off and have a good time with.

I'll give this episode a 7/10.

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The story still sucks, but I don't know what I was talking about with the badly timed slapstick. There's two jokes where the timing is too slow, but the rest of it is really good slapstick. Add on top of that the really fun climax and many other jokes and you have an amazing episode brought down by a really bad story. 

Score: 6/10

• 1 month later...

Not a fan. The part where Twilight gets so worked up, her hair gets all fiery, and she changes color is funny and cool. I don't care much for Pinkie Pie or Pinkie Sense. I usually skip this episode when running through a re-watch of episodes.

I enjoy the episode because all the ponies are trying to convince Twilight that it is a legitimate thing. Even when she sees the evidence in front of her, she still refuses to accept it. I do agree though that the moral is not really there at all. 

Score: 8/10

• 3 months later...

I wanted up to this point to see an episode trying to understand pinkie, and while I am glad they did it pinkies randomness peaked here compared to previous episodes, to such levels that writers exclude a lot of her capabilities shown in this episode, pinkie sense is just to over the top, especially how frequently it was used here. Twilight going nuts was what saved this episode for me, especially her going inferno was very entertaining to watch. The moral could have been better IMO. 5\10   

• 3 weeks later...

This episode is fantastic up until the leap of faith scene. The comedy in the episode is really great and Twilight getting hurt works because she keeps denying the obvious. All of her experiments are based around her already assuming the conclusion of Pinkie Sense not being real instead of actually trying to explain it. If the moral she learned was about her being more open minded about Pinkie Sense then this episode could've been salvaged. 

But that's not the only thing that would've had to be changed. The entire leap of faith would've had to be changed since it's bad. Nobody brings up the option of Fluttershy flying Twilight over the gap or Twilight teleporting herself because the script says so. It's really contrived. And the moral Twilight does learn seems to imply trying to explain Pinkie Sense is pointless when that's not true. She should just be coming at it from a different angle. 

But those problems aren't applicable until the end of the episode. Everything else is really funny with a lot of great facial expressions and poses. I really miss this style of animation from this show. I do think the positives outweigh the negatives here, but I can see why people would hate this episode.

Score: 7/10

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the one I'm the most conflicted on. On one hand the humor is top notch. On the other, that moral at the end was so poorly worded. I don't feel like it's an attack on atheism like some do, but it does come off as "just accept things without trying to understand them."

Edited by River Daze
a word
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 8:29 AM, River Daze said:

This is the one I'm the most conflicted on. On one hand the humor is top notch. On the other, that moral at the end was so poorly worded. I don't feel like it's an attack on atheism like some do, but it does come off as "just accept things without trying to understand them."

Before I offer my thoughts, this is a super valid argument. So what I am offering here is not so much a counter argument, but an alternative reading.

Having been reading about Mad Studies, which is about research and understanding the perception of people consider mad. I think a case can be made for a pro-Mad studies reading. Pinkie Pie performs in ways other read as insane crazy, or well mad. We Seen this various times. In this episode, all though Pinkie's perception and sense of knowledge do not immediatley make sense to others, they learn to value and respect her madness. It is not a tragic flaw, but a way of knowing and understanding the world. Twilight, who occupies the role of the sanist, a role founded on limited ideas of rationality and marginalizes folks considered mad, still needs to learn to respect Pinkie Pie like the other ponies in the episode. Throughout the episode, Twilight Sparkle either invalidates Pinkies claims, or tries to scientifically study Pinkie Pie to make sense out of Pinkie Pie from her own perspective. She has to learn that Pinkie Pie has her own way of knowing things, and even though she(Twilight) herself may not understand it, she can respect Pinkies Pie's perceptions and understandings as valid.

• 1 year later...

Really good lesson in this one. Sometimes things happen and you can't explain them. But they happen, and who am I to deny reality? Twilight is very much like me, I found this episode insanely relatable honestly. Sometimes I forget this lesson, but I always try to have an open mind. The Hydra was really funny, so was Celestia at the end.

I don't care what anyone said, this episode is super underrated and among my favorites of Season 1. The comedy was hilarious, the slapstick was so fun, the animation was really good. I really love how expressive it was (even for early Flash), and it's something that I really missed in MLP. The major thing that what got me into the show was it's light hearted nature and it just want to watch a cartoon that just wanna have fun. I wish we had more episodes like this in the later seasons.

Edited by JMTV99

On 2021-04-30 at 7:17 AM, JMTV99 said:

I don't care what anyone said, this episode is super underrated and among my favorites of Season 1. The comedy was hilarious, the slapstick was so fun, the animation was really good. I really love how expressive it was (even for early Flash), and it's something that I really missed in MLP. The major thing that what got me into the show was it's light hearted nature and it just want to be a cartoon that just wanna have fun. I wish we had more episodes like this in the later seasons.

I agree once again :3

If one can enjoy a good cartoon this is definitely a great episode. Of course someponies want to have more logic plot .. but this would not be approved by Pink Pony. Besides this episode introduces Pinkie and her logic in detail, so mlp needed at least on episode of this. But I can understand if not anyone likes it too.

10 hours ago, Astral Soul said:

I agree once again :3

If one can enjoy a good cartoon this is definitely a great episode. Of course someponies want to have more logic plot .. but this would not be approved by Pink Pony. Besides this episode introduces Pinkie and her logic in detail, so mlp needed at least on episode of this. But I can understand if not anyone likes it too.

Yeah, thank you.:mlp_yeehaa:

• 1 month later...

"It's Pinkie, don't question it." That is the best way to describe this episode.

So Pinkie Pie has this thing called 'Pinkie sense', a gimmick that predicts certain actions that is about to happen and Ponyville is used to it. I kinda like the idea, it kinda adds to her character about having some quirks, albeit some odd ones. Though I gotta wonder if someone actually kept track on what each action could possibly mean. Aside from that, I can't help but wonder how many times something has fallen that according to Applejack, everyone in Ponyville knows about what it means.

I'd say the biggest gripe I have with the episode is Twilight when in the Everfree forest. For one, she acts kinda oblivious to when the hydra shows up and she's more focused on her speech. I'll be honest, if that was my first episode, I'd lose interest in her rather quickly. Another is the cliff scene, when she was planning to take a leap of faith, yet in an earlier episode, we see that she can teleport. I just can't help but feel like that part was shoehorned in just so we can get to why Pinkie is twitching all over.

The moral of "There are something thing in the world that can't be explained" is one I feel can apply to many things, and Pinkie having a supernatural ability just leaves food for thought. Now we just need a complete list of what Pinkie's senses mean and we'll have a living disaster detector.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Honestly one of the best episodes I've seen so far. Some things in life can't be proven, but that doesn't make them not true - especially if you are witnessing them. I loved the dynamic between Pinkie and Twilight. 

• 2 months later...