Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Silent Hill

Captain Marvelous

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever seen SH1 and 2 on Youtube and played Shattered Memories. Can't wait until Downpour comes out though.

I also wanna get the Silent Hill Collection but it's kind of BS that they don't have SH4 on there. -_-

My take on the series...

Silent Hill: Bloody amazing.

Silent Hill 2: Bloody amazing.

Silent Hill 3: Pretty good.

Silent Hill 4: Not a bad game, but not what I was looking for.

Silent Hill 5: Stopped playing when the cultists appeared.

Shattered Memories: Ugh.

Origins: Never played.

Love the whole series, I'd say 3 is my favorite. Mainly due to Heather. <3

I'm looking forward to Downpour since it seems to be going back to the roots. Aka survival horror action horror and not action adventure.

These games seem too scary. I think I might have played an silent hill inspired or remake map on Garry's mod AGES ago, like when I was 12 or something, but I can't remember much about it.

Too be honest, I've never really thought once to even play these kind of games. The problem is, that I don't really like this kind of survival... I suppose not realistic is the right word (though again, this is silent hill)... I guess finding ammo in the least likely places isn't my thing.

But Shattered memories came out, that's a game I wanna play... it's an actual survivor. These demons aren't something you can handle, your only chance is too run, and hope you can out run them...

But Shattered memories came out, that's a game I wanna play... it's an actual survivor. These demons aren't something you can handle, your only chance is too run, and hope you can out run them...

Those are the best kind of survival/horror games in my opinion. I get scared more of a demon or monster, or w/e I am confronting if I have only one chance of survival, and that is to run and hide. If I can kill it, I normally do, then just move on without a feeling of the previous events.

That is partially why I never play horror games anymore. Don't scare me because I can just kill it and move on.

I must admit that I loved the idea behind Shattered Memories when I first started hearing about it, but found the execution to be... less than appealing.

Shattered Memories has a fantastic story, I've heard some argue that it's the best in the series, but there's only one thing disappointing about it's gameplay imo and that's there's only one type of enemy with different shapes. All you do is run from them, they don't really give you anything else to run from or different ways of doing it.

As for survival horror itself...I'm with Captain Marvelous on the whole "ammo in obscure places" thing. I can't for the life of me beat any of the original Resident Evil games because they limit the ammo so much, make the knife practically useless and I really really don't like tank controls combined with fixed camera angles.

These things only make the game frustrating rather than scary.

Whats Silent Hill, and why have I never heard of it?

From this thread it sounds ok to me, I'll watch some playthroughs tonight.

I honestly couldn't say why you've never heard of it, unless you were born yesterday. :P

It's a well-known survival horror video game franchise, namely Silent Hill 2.

As a warning, it's not for the faint of heart. :P

With a fanbase such as SH's, it's peculiar how the negativity in this thread has been kept at a lower note. That aside, the first game was fascinating enough to become one of my favourite video games (and the #1 favourite at the time.) The following three didn't possess that element the first game had, but they contained excellent stories, atmosphere, and depth.

Obligatory comments on the latest three: Origins suffered from the inconsistent backstory concerning the character of Alessa and to a notable extent, the town. Otherwise, it was fine. Homecoming suffered from everything excluding sound design, but the developers weren't precisely in charge of that to ruin it now, were they? It'd be unmerited for me to comment on SM, since I haven't played it. Although, from what I've discerned, it appears to be a nearly-great game with some flaws.

Edited by Private Pansy