Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I seem to be an accidental shoplifter :(

Evilshy

I was doing some Christmas shopping at Target when a security guard who I used to go to school with pulled me aside. He said that they had video of me taking a few packs of Magic cards into the cafe, buying a hotdog, and opening the cards while eating. Then I walked out without buying the cards. He said the video is from a few months ago, and that they hadn't seen me in the store since then (or I hadn't been recognized at least.)

Now, I frequently buy cards there, and then go get a hotdog and open the packs in the cafe, so if I did steal them, it was accidental.

I asked to see the video and he said they can't show me unless they're going to press charges, which they won't do this time. the guard also said he was supposed to call the cops since they recognized me, but didn't because I was with my family and the video is from a few months ago. He says he'll have to call the cops if I come back.

So, what should I do? I want to be able to go there, but it's not a huge deal since there's a Walmart and a Fred Meyer close by, so between those I can still get everything.

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 1

I can stay out of the store pretty easily, but it's right next to the only gamestop for quite a distance. They can't get me if im in the plaza parking lot.

If there's a way I can clear my name, I'd like to do it, but I don't think there is :(

man that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks....

Maybe you could send an email explaining it was an accident and you were totally unaware, and offer to pay for it.

To prove it was accidental, be sure to mention that you often purchase those cards there, and offer to provide the receipts. Then explain how every time you purchase the cards you stop in the cafe, and open up the cards. Except this time you forgot to purchase them.

Hope this all works out for you. :c

The last thing we need is another excuse for trolls to call pony-fans "criminals." :P

• Brohoof 1

As long as you don't enter the shop, it's okay, right?

Get someone that knows to bring a manager out of the store and offer to pay for the cards that you accidentally stole, maybe even double if you have enough money.

I stop in the cafe to open cards often enough that I think I could use that as a defense. I don't keep the receipts because the cards can't be returned once opened, and because I only keep receipts for transactions when I use my debit card, just in case something goes wrong with it. However, they do keep records of sales, which is apparently how they knew I didn't pay for them.

I think I'll email them to ask how long they keep sales records to see if they go far back enough to show a few instances of me buying cards there and then eating in the cafe while opening the cards. I know I've done at least 3 or 4 times in the past 6 months, but not very recently. A local card shop sells the same packs for less, so I go there instead.

Well, this guard can't ALWAYS be there. He has a shift right? So go when his shift is over.

Actually, that'd be worse, since all the guards know my face, and the reason they didn't call the cops is because this particular guard knows me and was like "hey, I'm friends with him and he with his family, so I'll go talk to him." he said that if I go there again, especially alone, then even he'd have to call the cops.

• Brohoof 1

Try calling the store explaining the situation and offer to pay the full price of the cards and more if needed and be sure to tell them it was ALL ACCIDENTAL.

Or just stay away from there your choice.

leave the country, your a fugitive, JK, try to talk it out with them. BTW, if he went to school with you, he must be playing some joke on you.

I highly doubt someone would pull a prank like that, but in case he is, just angrily asdshfkkjkladhhadsagwe.

You can a. Never go to the store again.

or b. Call or send an email saying that you are sorry and you could pay the cards.

God bless you, I hope it ends good.

I asked about paying, but since it was a few months ago, it's too late apparently.

Honestly, I think I'll just have to stop shopping there :/

Edited by Evilshy

As a professional security guard myself, I can say that what the guard you spoke with told you was completely correct. When we get notifications about people to watch out for at my post, most of the time we just call the police immediately on sight. You're really lucky it was a guy who happened to know you and was willing to go talk first.

That said, your best options are what has already been suggested. A: email the store owner or manager and ask if there's any way to reconcile the situation peacefully. Or B: just never go there again. :unsure:

You could run in playing this song as they try to catch you.

Seriously though, hopefully you can repay them somehow, and if not It's good that there are other stores you can go to that are not out of the way.

Edited by Hayze