Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Closet Bronies UNITE: Experiences and Discussion

Zero000

A lot of us are either older teenage guys or young men, and watching "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" isn't something we are expected to like. Most of us don't even want our parents to know. What are some of your thoughts, stories, and opinions on this?

• Brohoof 6

I am somewhat a closet brony, My area doesn't understand what bronies are, my brother is a hater, my dad mocks me about it, only mom understands! :(

A lot of us are either older teenage guys or young men, and watching "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" isn't something we are expected to like. Most of us don't even want our parents to know. What are some of your thoughts, stories, and opinions on this?

Edited by Samthelegoman
  • Brohoof 2

Not sure I'd say that I'm a "Closet Brony" or not. I suppose that depends on your definition of the term.

Mine is one who denies being a Brony is asked and hides in secrecy!

Which isn't accurate for me since I don't deny anything! I don't openly tell people about it either.

The way I see it is that if they ask I tell them the honest truth and recommend the show. I don't go around openly telling people about it who don't ask and tend to hide it in public.

Once enough people have found out I am a Brony I'll probably start being more open about it, wearing Pony shirts. Till' then it will be a fun secret between me, my family, one Hot Topic clerk, and a few friends who caught on. (though only one of my friends accepts it, the others tend to tease and troll!)

It makes sense. I used to be until I couldn't really take hiding it anymore and told my parents. I don't really think they know how extensive the following or how extensive of a fan I am of the show, though. And although they know, I try not to be doing pony-related stuff when they are in the room. Still a bit weird in my opinion, I'm not one to tell everyone about it. One exception is fan music, which I'll listen to whenever. Also, two of my friends know, but they don't really care.

I was for a while, since most of my friends openly hate the show and its community. I don't go around telling the world about it (although I would love to wear a shirt if only I had the guts for it...) but I don't try to hide it either.

Its understandable really, as is the way with anything that goes against the norm.

• Brohoof 1

Well I myself am a closet brony.

I feel this way because I don't really want anypony in school to find out because

if they did I'd get builled alot, and the rest of my high school years won't be good.

And my parents... Jeeze, I already get called gay because I straighten my hair...

But If they found out I watch a little girls show... My god.

• Brohoof 3

• 5 months later...
(edited)

I was going to tell my sister until she said that Bronies made her think of perverted men. So I decided to keep my mouth shut. Now, I am more open about it to my friends and certain people at school, but I still don't think I will ever tell my sister or my parents.

Edited by rcollinz13

I was until my mom caught me watching mlp in my room. After that I figured I should let them know I'm a brony :D

Now I don't care if people know I'm not. My parents know I'm a member of this board, a few friends, and my sister ;)

I even got some stickers for my car :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I'm a closet brony to anyone other than my dad and people outside the internet. My dad found out I was a brony when I asked my mom for a rainbow dash plushie, he responded by saying "Doesn't Rainbows mean she's gay?" I was like :| . But its all fine now :D I explained to him that it was a fad, like Invader Zim, and he's okay with it.

(edited)

I am somewhat a closet brony, My area doesn't understand what bronies are, my brother is a hater, my dad mocks me about it, only mom understands! :(

Posted Image

Edited by BlueBomber
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Well, let me tell you my story...

I am an average 21 year old. I have chosen to do and not do certain things and to live a certain lifestyle. I am a man of faith, and can be very intellectual and "normal". I work in customer service, and can talk to anybody.

But I think I have it easy:

Because when I eat too much sugar or caffeine, I parade around the room, laughing at every possible thing, pull my shirt up over my head and yell "I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO" and other shenanigans. So naturally, when I tell people I am a brony, they really don't mind. And if they do, I don't mind. Cause they know I am already weird: as I am the most humble, kind, yet over analystic and interesting character when eating too much sugar. So conclusion, BE YOURSELF! Just be you. It's worked out for me so far :)

And one time at work, I mentioned to a co-worker "Man, having a ten minute break right now would make things 20% cooler." He stopped me and said, "You know where that's from, right". I said "I do. If you know where it's from, that is awesome!". He said= "I SURE DO". I smiled and reached out my fist = "Brohoof?". He jumped up and said "YES! I am so glad you said something!" So if you also want to make some friends that share similar interest, take caution and use pick up lines. Non-bronies won't know ;)

And next week, a decal of Rainbow Dash wearing sunglasses is going on my Acura Integra's passenger back window = Not a closet brony. haha

EDIT: I am not implying that bronies are weird! All I am saying is that it's easier for me to just be myself, cause I am already "unique" if you will. ha

Edited by Steel Matt
  • Brohoof 9

I find the phrase "closet brony" funny because people take a cartoon that they like so seriously.

Okay, sure, I can see how men would feel the need to hide their appreciation for a show featuring candy-colored ponies, but it's as big of a deal as you make it. I hate how gender roles have had such awful restrictions on those who have a characteristic, or multiple characteristics, that diverge from how society thinks they should act. Gender roles seriously feel like awful restrictions to me and I refuse to feel the pressure of conforming to one side.

• Brohoof 2

I find the phrase "closet brony" funny because people take a cartoon that they like so seriously.

Okay, sure, I can see how men would feel the need to hide their appreciation for a show featuring candy-colored ponies, but it's as big of a deal as you make it. I hate how gender roles have had such awful restrictions on those who have a characteristic, or multiple characteristics, that diverge from how society thinks they should act. Gender roles seriously feel like awful restrictions to me and I refuse to feel the pressure of conforming to one side.

well put..

which is also why I'm doing something on my car which I will post once I'm done :D

• Brohoof 1

Well said. I really can't stand society's "you must act in THIS matter" mindset, especially since it's all the more intense for males. Not fun for someone like myself who leans feminine even if you disregard MLP.

(edited)

Well I hide it from others, I live among people where it would unaccepted to watch something like MLP in my age (19) and because my real friends among me are mostly high-educated people so I got no chance to be accepted there.

I have tried to speak about MLP with my 'average friends' but without luck, like 1 out of 4 boys on my high-school watch MLP (Doesn’t mean they are bronys) and chat daily with bronys but you cannot speak anything related to MLP with them, it is nothing to speak about.

I done two attempts with getting the subject up, first I baked a rainbow Dash cake together with a friend as a “LOL JOKE, Flying pony LOLOLOLOLOL”, however it never was anything more than that gay guy who was all like AMG ITS RAINBOW DASH, you cannot eat that (weird guy).

Then the last attempt is the guy I normally hang out with who I know watch MLP but he just reject any speak of it, when I try to relate it to other stuff.

Yup forever alone brony.

Edited by Nickli

(edited)

Well I myself am a closet brony.

I feel this way because I don't really want anypony in school to find out because

if they did I'd get builled alot, and the rest of my high school years won't be good.

And my parents... Jeeze, I already get called gay because I straighten my hair...

But If they found out I watch a little girls show... My god.

Oh god. Now you have to tell your parents, just so you can tell us their reaction in vivid detail.

And then, if they think you're gay, make out with a girl in front of their face.

Edited by SonOfTheNorthe

I was entirely against the fandom, but a while ago I decided to be more open to it. Heh, I even told my friend about all these awkward brony communities to the point of becoming a shameless hypocrite, but never in my life will I let the thought of having my parents know that I go into such communities be reality. I definitely don't want to associate myself with bronies in public let alone sites I regularly log on to.

I've never told anyone about MLP in real life. I'm guessing most people here don't even know about the show since it's not translated into my native language, and I know that most people here can't understand English enough to enjoy an English languaged show without subtitles. That's why, to my knowledge, there isn't a lot of bronies here. That makes it harder for me to talk about it: there's no one to back me up.

I've only come across two brony references: the first one was a friend of mine teasing (in a friendly way) someone about talking about horses in general, and saying that she's a brony. He was definitely talking about bronies as if being one would be a negative thing. The second one was one of my Facebook friends sending another one a PMV for his birthday, but it was most likely a joke.

I've arrived at the decision that I won't deny what I like, but I won't be telling anyone if I don't think it's necessary. That's the reason I probably won't tell my parents about it, there's no reason they need to know, since the show basically doesn't exist here.