Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can cutie marks change/evolve?

My little pwny

(edited)

I was thinking about if this was possible based on what we know about cutie marks. The reason I am asking is because if it was possible, it would really help out my OC's backstory that I am developing right now.

A more accurate question would be, can a cutie mark be modified? My OC is originally going to have a heart as a cutie mark, but because of certain event, an arrow goes through the heart. Is this possible based on canon or popular fanon?

Edited by My little pwny

(edited)

This is a interesting question actually because in Season 2 of MLP when Grannysmith was telling about the story of how Ponyville was founded, Filthyrich had a cutie mark of a cent symbol. When he grew up, it changed to dollars.

So it can be true.

Edited by sᴜᴍᴍoɴᴇᴅ
  • Brohoof 23

This is a interesting question actually because in Season 2 of MLP when Grannysmith was telling about the story of how Ponyville was founded, Filthyrich had a cutie mark of a cent symbol. When he grew up, it changed to dollars.

So it can be true.

Maybe perhaps a Cutie Mark can evolve? Like it starts out as a certain talent, but then it grows into something related to that talent except even greater. Hmmmm... Perplexing.

I never noticed what Summoned said. Very interesting. Based on something clearly canon then, I have to say yes.

If you excelled at your talent, then I guess it can 'evolve' into a more advanced form, like in his case, then.

I would venture to say perhaps if you completely turn your life around, and discover a different talent or interest or hobby that consumes you over your old one, then it might change then. Pointless in having a cutie mark that no longer represents you.

(edited)

It may change on only one side of your flank and the other side still have the old one and the old one may be darker than the newer one. The side that changes may be determined by what side your more dominant hoof is on.

Edited by Dasher

So it can be true.

Didn't notice that.

So it can be true.

I believe you are mistaken, because Granny Smith's story was about the pony Stinkin' Rich, who had a son Filthy Rich; the father of Diamond Tiara. Stinkin' Rich had cent signs and Filthy Rich has Dollar signs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At any rate, it seems I wouldn't be going outside the realm of possibility if my OC's cutie mark evolved, according to you guys. Thanks for the feedback!

• Brohoof 7

So it can be true.

Wasn't that filthfyrich's dad? cos otherwise, man that guy ages well

I don't think they can change, once you really do find that special talent you're not oging to go back on it.

• Brohoof 1

I never really considered it. I don't see why not, especially considering the filthy rich example. I think it would be rare, though.

i don't think it would be all that rare i think it would happen about as much as a collage student changes majors.

We can't say how many times we watched the show but I'll look back and look at the episode to double check if we were wrong about it.

It's a shame that we could possibly have made a mistake like that but we're hoping that won't be the case.

The Wonderbolts have Wonderbolt cutie marks. So were they blank flanks until they became Wonderbolts? Probably not, so they had to have different cutie marks beforehand.

And this would mean that when Dash one day becomes a 'bolt, her cutie mark will change into a Wonderbolt mark.

• Brohoof 1

Alright. So we have good news and bad news. Good news is that we've rewatched MLP again just for you guys (and for our enjoyment). Bad news is that on Season 2 Episode 12 "Family Appreciation Day", it was in fact, Stinkinrich who's the father of Filthyrich.

It was a failure on our part and we are sorry. Though, it would've been cool if Cutie Marks did evolve as they "major" in their talent.

• Brohoof 2

I'm inclined to believe that they evolve rather than "change" into something else entirely, which bears no similarity whatsoever to your "previous" special talent. For example, Filthy Rich's cutie mark "changing" from a few coins to dollar signs. Obviously his talent is making money, but financial success is very much connected. Now, it appears that he can not only make money, but also do it proficiently, quickly, and whatever his methods are, they are grand.

I wouldn't doubt if they could, I mean if there's a disease you can get that makes you get multiple cutie marks, then who's to say that they can't change over time too? :huh:

I doubt it is possible unless something really serious happens which will change a pony dramatically to alter it's special talent and still I find the possibility hard even if something happens that prevents you from doing what you are best at it doesnt mean that that wasn't what you are meant to do.

For ponies, life is all about getting from point A to point B.

Point A is birth, the start of the journey. In between the two points is earning your cutie mark, your key to getting to point B. point B is fulfiing your dreams according to said cutie mark. Once the midpoint and point B are set, there is no changing, the special talent or destiny will be fulfilled in some way or another, and it can't change at all.

So, in a sense, I'd say no to changing to something that is different than your previous talent/mark/destiny, but it could probably be a more advanced version of our current one, like Summoned mentioned.

I think maybe, it could be like this.

Lets say I was a pony. I like drawing so I guess that could be my cutie mark. Then when I get older, I see that I want to use my art to animate. Maybe something animation related could be added to my drawing cutie mark?

We think it would be perfectly acceptable that Pony's Cutie Marks would change as they grow older. Just imagine Princess Celestia as a child with her current Cutie Mark. Like, who would've thought that she would have the power to control the sun and because of that she had to become a Princess or something.

We don't see this happening at all but we can see that Princess Celestia could have been a late bloomer when it comes to her Cutie Mark. How she realized that she could have the power to control the sun, we have no idea but we are very curious who the father of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna is.

Let's imagine him with the galaxy sort of Cutie Mark that lets him control the solar system and whatnot. That would be funny to see.

Nope. Once its there, cant change it.

I think maybe, it could be like this.

Lets say I was a pony. I like drawing so I guess that could be my cutie mark. Then when I get older, I see that I want to use my art to animate. Maybe something animation related could be added to my drawing cutie mark?

Yes, but lets remeber, Cutie marks are what you are GOOD at, not what you like to do. You could get a cutie mark of something you hate doing.