Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can cutie marks change/evolve?

My little pwny

This is a interesting question actually because in Season 2 of MLP when Grannysmith was telling about the story of how Ponyville was founded, Filthyrich had a cutie mark of a cent symbol. When he grew up, it changed to dollars.

So it can be true.

This.

So, yeah. First I would have said no, but then I realized the pony here was right.

Nope. Once its there, cant change it.

Yes, but lets remeber, Cutie marks are what you are GOOD at, not what you like to do. You could get a cutie mark of something you hate doing.

I dont think so, its more of like your "destiny" What youll end up doing in life. You wouldnt do something you hate.

The majority of you guys are saying that it is probably unlikely that a cutie mark can change outright. However, you are also saying that a cutie mark could evolve to better reflect an enhanced talent.

In the case of my OC in development, he originally has a heart for a cutie mark. But later down the road, he gets an arrow through the heart because his talent expanded to be used for different things. Based on what you guys discussed, this seems plausible.

• Brohoof 1

I dont think so, its more of like your "destiny" What youll end up doing in life. You wouldnt do something you hate.

Many people dont end up doing what they want to in life. Too many people dream of being rich, and end up being dirt poor. You might have wanted to be an artist or a lawyer, but you end up digging ditches. cutie marks are almst a spoiler for real life. You could be a young foal who dreamed of being a veterinarian, but you could discover that you cutie mark is a hoe and seeds, so youre going to be a lowly farmer. When you thinkof it, cutie marks are a pain in the flank. I wouldnt want a mark on my flank telling me what to do with my life.

It could be possible, but if it is, it's rare. It is more often the case that the Cutie Mark fortells your destiny then it is changed by your choices. For example, Twilight's cutie mark is a star surrounded by 5 other stars. While her special talent is magic, it also represents the element of magic, long before she became an element bearer.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

Many people dont end up doing what they want to in life. Too many people dream of being rich, and end up being dirt poor. You might have wanted to be an artist or a lawyer, but you end up digging ditches. cutie marks are almst a spoiler for real life. You could be a young foal who dreamed of being a veterinarian, but you could discover that you cutie mark is a hoe and seeds, so youre going to be a lowly farmer. When you thinkof it, cutie marks are a pain in the flank. I wouldnt want a mark on my flank telling me what to do with my life.

But doing what they dont like isnt "fate" or "destiny". In real life, eople just make mistakes of life or dont know what to do with there life.

Its not just there future job. If I was good at art I wouldnt have to become a proffesional artist to get a art cutie mark. I might have the job of a lawyer but if I still drew I think I would still have an art cutie mark.

Nobodys "destiny" is something they dont like. They might just never relize it. You would be a blank flank if you didnt like doing it.

• Brohoof 1

But doing what they dont like isnt "fate" or "destiny". In real life, eople just make mistakes of life or dont know what to do with there life.

Its not just there future job. If I was good at art I wouldnt have to become a proffesional artist to get a art cutie mark. I might have the job of a lawyer but if I still drew I think I would still have an art cutie mark.

Nobodys "destiny" is something they dont like. They might just never relize it. You would be a blank flank if you didnt like doing it.

I didn't think cutie mark had anything to do with destiny. I thought It was just your special talent. Unlike on earth, I guess in equestria everyone has something that theyre just naturally good at. Also, I dont really think there is any fate. I dont like the idea that im not in control of my own actions. And cutie marks telling me what to do dosent seem very appealing.

I didn't think cutie mark had anything to do with destiny. I thought It was just your special talent. Unlike on earth, I guess in equestria everyone has something that theyre just naturally good at. Also, I dont really think there is any fate. I dont like the idea that im not in control of my own actions. And cutie marks telling me what to do dosent seem very appealing.

I think there is. Theres always somewhere great you could get if you tried really hard.

Also, it dosent. They get it when they find out what they want to do. Pinkie pie found out she really loved making ponies smile! They are still in control. Pinkie could make somepony frown. It dosent really tell you what to do. You had just FOUND out what you love to do!

I don't think it can evolve because it's a sign of what ponies are great at in their life. I don't think they can change because it's like a destiny or fate kind of thing.

Actually, I think I agree with that though. If I WAS a pony good at art and later found out I wanted to animate, I think id get my cutie mark after I found out I wanted to animate.

Posted ImageFanayvea, on 15 July 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

I think there is. Theres always somewhere great you could get if you tried really hard.

Also, it dosent. They get it when they find out what they want to do. Pinkie pie found out she really loved making ponies smile! They are still in control. Pinkie could make somepony frown. It dosent really tell you what to do. You had just FOUND out what you love to do!

I guess it depends on wether cutie marks reveal your "hidden talent" or something you like to do. What if you like to do multiple things?

Now, let's go back to pony grade school shall we http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Cutie_mark

ponies r 4 loving, not patronizing.

Now, let's go back to pony grade school shall we http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Cutie_mark

That article neither confirms nor denies the possibility of changing cutie marks. In fact, near the end of the page said that cutie marks are embedded on the coat of the pony, and not the skin, meaning they aren't like permanent tattoos.

That article neither confirms nor denies the possibility of changing cutie marks. In fact, near the end of the page said that cutie marks are embedded on the coat of the pony, and not the skin, meaning they aren't like permanent tattoos.

You didn't read obviously, it also talks on how they are acquired and such, other wise I would have not posted it.

I think they probably can change, but nopony we know of has been willing to try and change it.

It's put into their head at a young age that they can only get one cutie mark, and that it's permanent, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

I made my OC's cutie mark capable of evolving. Yeah I said it, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Seeing as cutie marks just magically appear when the pony realizes their purpose/talent, I believe they're capable of undergoing some form of change I mean, they're magic.

• Brohoof 3

This is a interesting question actually because in Season 2 of MLP when Grannysmith was telling about the story of how Ponyville was founded, Filthyrich had a cutie mark of a cent symbol. When he grew up, it changed to dollars.

So it can be true.

actualy i dont belive Filthyrich ever had a cent cutiemark his farther Stinkingrich did.

the only way a cutimark can evolve if it the artists and animators get bored and draw a diffrent cutimark

(edited)

I don't really think so. I mean, it is an interesting theory and could make for some good fanon. But canonically, I think once a pony gets their cutie mark, they're set for life. Ponies in some ways differ from humans and are probably simpler in that capacity. Perhaps when they find out what they're really talented at, they're satisfied and don't really have much interest in anything else.

Or perhaps the cutie marks of ponies are broad/vague enough to include a variety of things and more reflect the inherent personality of the pony than their job. Not all cutie marks are literal or meant to be taken that way Just look at Rarity's. She has a bunch of gems on her flank, and you'd think she was a jewel maker or something. No, she's a fashion designer.

Provided, the gems make sense as she often uses them for her outfits, but she also has the ability to search for new gems in addition to being able to design clothes. She might get tired of fashion at some point (highly unlikely, but for the sake of example), but she would probably still always have an interet in doing something gem-related which is broad enough to include a lot of things she could do. She could even do something not gem-related, but something relating to things of high value. The gems would still symbolize that. There's quite frankly a lot of directions and interpretations one could go with one cutie mark, provided it's not a highly specific one.

That's why I think it's not really necessary for them to evolve. In my opinion, cutie marks are more symbolic than literal.

Edited by Sorceress Arylett
  • Brohoof 2

I don't think that they ever can change. The cutiemarks shows what you're good at if I'm not mistaken. I don't think that you suddenly stop being good at something. But I can buy that somepony one day gets two cutiemarks. I like to think that I'm good at more then just one thing :P

I made my OC's cutie mark capable of evolving. Yeah I said it, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Seeing as cutie marks just magically appear when the pony realizes their purpose/talent, I believe they're capable of undergoing some form of change I mean, they're magic.

VERY good point. Who cares if my fanon deviates a little from canon? Although it would be nice if my OC was 100% "canon-able", its my fanon world and I can do what I want. Thanks for opening my eyes to that obvious fact.

However, this thread has turned into a pretty interesting debate, carry on!

• Brohoof 1

So it can be true.

Nope, that was Diamond Tiara's Great-Grandfather, Stinking Rich :3

Posted ImageFanayvea, on 15 July 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

I guess it depends on wether cutie marks reveal your "hidden talent" or something you like to do. What if you like to do multiple things?

I think its both. You wouldnt get it if you didnt like it, and if I just drew scribbles I wouldnt get it probably.

So I probably wouldnt get it till I was pretty good.

(edited)

Here's the description I have of my OC's cutie mark

Cutie Mark

Her cutie mark is a simpler version of the Red Wings' logo. The little stars forming an arc around the wheel of the logo represent the 11 Celestia Cups the Red Wings have won. Her bond to the team is so strong that if the Red Wings win another championship, another star is added to her cutie mark.

So while yes, it "changes" so to speak, it is only added to. The shape doesn't change or morph. It's just small additions which I think could be plausible.

Then again it's all magic and you do what you want to do.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 2