Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can cutie marks change/evolve?

My little pwny

1 hour ago, MAIKUN said:

Well it's true actually and they are prevented from doing other things that enjoy the most.

Not really.

cutie marks just show what a character is good at. Their special trait. The cutie mark doesnt mean you can only do that one things that it, its more of something to do with a character being good at something. It dfoesnt mean theyre not allowed to pursue other things.

• Brohoof 2

24 minutes ago, Fennekin said:

Not really.

cutie marks just show what a character is good at. Their special trait. The cutie mark doesnt mean you can only do that one things that it, its more of something to do with a character being good at something. It dfoesnt mean theyre not allowed to pursue other things.

Exactly. That was one of the lessons in Marks and Recreation.

15 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Exactly. That was one of the lessons in Marks and Recreation.

Exactly. Its not a shackle, but something to show that the pony is good at a particular trait.

• Brohoof 2

On 2017-12-26 at 8:45 PM, Fennekin said:

Not really.

You’re wrong Fennekin. A cutie mark can’t allow anypony to pursue other things! That’s what! They’re been brainwashed and manipulated by their cutie marks of course! 

3 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

You’re wrong Fennekin. A cutie mark can’t allow anypony to pursue other things! That’s what! They’re been brainwashed and manipulated by their cutie marks of course! 

Then why do ponies still have other hobbies and talents outside of their Cutie Marks? Why does the Haiku filly in Marks and Recreations still love painting circles so much? Why's Thunderlane so interested in cooking if his talent is flying? Why does Fluttershy have secret dreams of singing in Filli Vanilli if animals are her talent? Ogres and Oubliettes has nothing to do with farming, so why's Big Mac off wasting his time playing that? Starlight really likes those kites doesn't she, but I thought her talent had to do with magic, like Twilight?

If ponies are still capable of having other hobbies, talents and interests outside of their Cutie Mark, how are they brainwashed?

• Brohoof 4

23 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

Actually, according to other episodes, im right on the money. Like basementsparkle said, a cutie mark doesnt necessarilly mean the pony is condemned to that one field of expertise. They can do anything.

it a mark that goes on a ponys flank, its not a handcuff. Its justa little icon that indicates what a pony is good at.

• Brohoof 1

I think what Fennekin is trying to say is that a Cutie Mark is an un-changable depiction of what you are truly meant to do, what you are meant to contribute to the world. It is what resonates with your heart and soul. It is the core of who you are, and what you are meant to do. Such as, me for instance, I am a Mortician, it is my calling. My character, Momento Mori, reflects that. His Cutie Mark is a purple flame, wrapped in a black silk ribbon. The Flame represents the flame in Charon's lantern (Charon is the Boatman in Greek Mythology that carries souls across the river Styx), and it's purple because in Victorian times, not only black, but purple was used as a color representative of the dead, as it is used as hangings in the Hearse carriages, with even the horses wearing head-dresses of purple plumage. 

This for him will not change, like it wouldn't change for me. It's what my heart wants, my soul wants, it's what I'm good at, and I adore my job. 

BUT---I do have hobbies! I love to read, and draw, (really love to draw, in fact, I drew my avatar, as well as sold a few pieces of my manga style art), and I love Japanese and Egyptian Culture and Mythology, and Dragons, and Roleplaying, and I could go on! But while they define likes and well just hobbies... which though I love---my main core is my chosen career, what I'm good at, what I choose to pursue with my utmost passion in life. It's my heart's calling. And THAT is what a cutie mark is.

• Brohoof 3

21 hours ago, Fennekin said:

Actually, according to other episodes, im right on the money. Like basementsparkle said, a cutie mark doesnt necessarilly mean the pony is condemned to that one field of expertise. They can do anything.

it a mark that goes on a ponys flank, its not a handcuff. Its justa little icon that indicates what a pony is good at.

Except the CMC, they are handcuffed by their Cutie Marks...well technically, they're ACTUALLY brainwashed and manipulated by their Cutie Marks. And NO, the CMC are NOT allowed to pursue other things as well. They might well, just, disband for good.

5 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

Except the CMC, they are handcuffed by their Cutie Marks...well technically, they're ACTUALLY brainwashed and manipulated by their Cutie Marks. And NO, the CMC are NOT allowed to pursue other things as well. They might well, just, disband for good.

That's a lie. What about that episode (I forget the name of it. I'm not good at remembering most episode names) where Apple Bloom found a love for dancing? Sure she helped Tender Taps get a cutie mark, but she still enjoys dancing. And what about her potion making? I'm sure she still enjoys that too.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

So, only the CMC are brainwashed by their marks? Not the Mane Six, Starlight, the Princesses, or anypony else, just the CMC? How does that work? How are they brainwashed? Why only them?

Honestly, I get the feeling you just don't like change, you're so adamant against the CMC's marks in particular. Did you just want the CMC to be blank flanks searching for their marks forever, never changing? Is that what you wish they'd do, get rid of their marks and then go back to crusading for new ones, new ones that they'd never find?

• Brohoof 3

I'm personally glad that the CMC finally got their cutie marks. Sure people can't speculate what they might be anymore, and yes, I was personally a little surprised by the what they got especially the questionable color choices for said marks (they've since grown on me and I like them a lot more now that I'm used to seeing them) but that's a sign of character progression. They're growing up whether the audience likes it or not and though MLP is geared more toward younger viewers, adults can still enjoy it. It's good that there is character growth and progression. If there wasn't they'd be one-dimensional and the show would get far too repetitive, like some of the old Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry episodes. They're funny sure, but there's only so much you can do when the main characters never grow and change.

2 hours ago, MAIKUN said:

You do you, man.

its obviously were never going to reach a satisfyable conclusion.

On 7/13/2012 at 9:28 PM, My little pwny said:

I was thinking about if this was possible based on what we know about cutie marks. The reason I am asking is because if it was possible, it would really help out my OC's backstory that I am developing right now.

A more accurate question would be, can a cutie mark be modified? My OC is originally going to have a heart as a cutie mark, but because of certain event, an arrow goes through the heart. Is this possible based on canon or popular fanon?

There's no evidence of such things happening, but I don't see how they can't happen either :huh: 

On 12/29/2017 at 2:51 PM, BasementSparkle said:

So, only the CMC are brainwashed by their marks? Not the Mane Six, Starlight, the Princesses, or anypony else, just the CMC?

Yes just the CMC only....But the point is: The CMC are NOT allowed to do different things according to their Cutie Marks...That's how a Cutie Mark changes anypony at all. And yes, they will DISBAND someday...D-I-S-B-A-N-D.

Edited by MAIKUN

I don't think cutie marks need to evolve, but that how you interpret them can - the CMC's cutie marks are not obvious in their meaning, so they really should be trying to discover what they symbolize...

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I don't think cutie marks need to evolve, but that how you interpret them can - the CMC's cutie marks are not obvious in their meaning, so they really should be trying to discover what they symbolize...

The CMC + Cutie Marks = DISBANDMENT

I know I'm telling the truth but, they will unfortunately have no choice to disband for good...I mean, look at the Manehatten CMC, they disband because of Babs, right?

13 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

*sigh* I'm getting a little tired of repeating but...

The "Shields" being similar colors that match their Mane color simply shows that they work best together like a good trio should. The individual symbols on each of the filly's "shields" are like a knight's coat of arms from Medieval Times. They represent a part of who they are.

Apple Bloom's is an apple and heart, which I take to mean, "She's from a family that grows Apple Trees and she's the Heart of the CMC trio, because the trio originally came together to stand up when a mean Diamond Tiara bullied A.B.

Sweetie Belle's is a star and music note, which I take to mean, she sometimes shines like a star and is an amazing singer.

Scootaloo's is a Pegasus Wing and Lightning bolt, which I take to mean, that even if she doesn't fly, her wings were working great as propulsion for her scooter and the lightening bolt is her admiration of Rainbow Dash whow has a lightening bolt as part of HER Cutie Mark.

Really, the CMC know who they are AND they love doing their thing.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
Finished thoughts
  • Brohoof 2

16 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

*sigh* I'm getting a little tired of repeating but...

The "Shields" being similar colors that match their Mane color simply shows that they work best together like a good trio should. The individual symbols on each of the filly's "shields" are like a knight's coat of arms from Medieval Times. They represent a part of who they are.

Apple Bloom's is an apple and heart, which I take to mean, "She's from a family that grows Apple Trees and she's the Heart of the CMC trio, because the trio originally came together to stand up when a mean Diamond Tiara bullied A.B.

Sweetie Belle's is a star and music note, which I take to mean, she sometimes shines like a star and is an amazing singer.

Scootaloo's is a Pegasus Wing and Lightning bolt, which I take to mean, that even if she doesn't fly, her wings were working great as propulsion for her scooter and the lightening bolt is her admiration of Rainbow Dash whow has a lightening bolt as part of HER Cutie Mark.

Really, the CMC know who they are AND they love doing their thing.

I like the way you view the cutie marks of the CMC I was never sure myself what Scootaloo's meant since we know she can't fly for one reason or another. I don't think they'll disband anytime soon, not with that cutie mark day camp they started.

Might be time to lay the argument to rest though. That person isn't going to see your side of things with their narrow tunnel vision. Besides, this topic is several years old and there's really no point to continue going with it.

• Brohoof 1

This is probably the last time I'm gonna reply to this topic. You're acting childish Maikun, You're entitled to have whatever opinions you like, but unless it's confirmed in the show, that doesn't make them right. Have whatever theories you like, but please don't try to shove them down other people's throats. That kind of behavior is what can make any fandom look bad.

Have a nice day.

Honestly? I doubt it. Given the focus previous seasons had on Cutie Marks as a concept, if they could change or evolve they would have established that already.

But maybe there is some weight to this theory, maybe your cutie mark only "evolves" once you master whatever your special talent is, Cherilee's talent is teaching but she isn't the greatest teacher in all of Equestria, Twilight's talent is magic but she isn't the greatest mage in all of Equestria...Maybe once you become "the best" at whatever it is that you do, your Cutie Mark evolves to signify that.

Edited by GreenGreenWhirlWind

• 4 years later...