Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to handle kids

Sakamoto

Its not too late to call and say you're coming down with something...

Can't really do that. My sister promised there will be cake(?) when everything's over :o

That's also a very good way to handle a tantrum! I believe that's what normal people (a category I don't fall under) call a "time-out?"

Actually a time-out would be the worst idea. My home isn't that big (more like a shed lol), the only room with key was my bedroom. Locking her there will only destroy my personal belongings D:

It's how my parents raised me when I was still young enough that I thought screeching and flailing was a good way to get what I wanted. They just took me away. My tantrums stopped being performed for the proper audience and I just calmed down. If I started again my dad would make me sit in the car, but I wouldn't recommend that part. ;)

that's exactly how my parents raised me....minus the car part

Can't really do that. My sister promised there will be cake(?) when everything's over :o

Actually a time-out would be the worst idea. My home isn't that big (more like a shed lol), the only room with key was my bedroom. Locking her there will only destroy my personal belongings D:

uh-oh are you SURE that was your sister?

Plan A: Most of the time give 'em an Xbox 360, (get xbox live), then keep getting the newest COD game. Then you got a pro way of handling children (besides the fact that they will learn alot of swears and other not so good things)

Plan B: Smack her untill shes bowing down to you (Child abuse laws wont be good to you)

Plan C: "Pretend" she just 'walked' (and you didnt shove) her out onto an upcoming bus, therefore mosthopefully, i mean likely, killing her (Just dont let people know you murdered her) (there may be some child endagerment laws to go against you)

Protip: Life advice is for giving advice, not making unfunny jokes.

I'd say that your best bet would be to find a TV show she'd like, or just something that'd keep her quiet, and have her watch/do that for a while.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

OH! And show her teh PONIES!!!!! :wub:

She will be entertained and love you forever lol.. If she starts misbehaving turn off the show or stop playing the games and say you won't continue watching the show/ playing the game until she behaves ! Edited by pinkiedashalooo

(edited)

Your problem might be solved by now, but some advice from someone that has been working with kids for almost 7 years:

Kids LOVE physical games. Find a game that you can play with her that will wear her out quickly while still giving you energy to do what you need to do as the adult of the situation. I have a book of games for groups that I could show you, but I do not want to get in trouble for linking you to a site (as far as I understand it is against the rules?).

If your child (I know, not YOURS, I mean as in...the child you're watching) is having a tantrum, any training you go to on this subject will tell you to put them somewhere that they cannot get hurt and cannot hurt you and let them have their tantrum. Trying to out scream a screaming child is like yelling at a barking dog: they are just going to keep making louder noises back at you. In the case of a biter, I recommend having a place that he/she can call their own and calm down. Afterwards, sit down (preferably on the floor so that you are more their height, this reduces anxiety) and ask them why they are upset, if they did something wrong that you had to discipline them for, ask them what it was and if they understand why that is bad. You want to get across the good vs bad behavior point and in the end, turn the situation around with a really simple positive activity such as watching MLP, coloring, picking flowers, or my personal favorite: blowing bubbles.

"But Mud, why is blowing bubbles your favorite?" Because what do you do when you blow bubbles? Take deep, relaxing breaths and exhale slowly. This is a neat, fun, magical activity that also calms kids down.

If a physical game doesn't do it, you need to rely more on your empathy than normal. Find out what they LIKE to do and do it with them. Ask them questions: Why do you like doing this? What is your favorite thing about it? How can we make this more fun? Always ask open-ended questions.

You want to avoid yes or no questions unless the child has completely shut down. In that case, stick with yes/no until you find a good segway or opening to an easy open-ended follow-up question.

My experience in dealing with babysitting is always having an activity planned to do with them ahead of time. Have what you need and make sure it is just right in terms of skill range. Make it something easy, but also slightly challenging for them so that they can use their brains and learn something with you. If they learn in a fun way, they are more likely to bond with you.

This is all the advice I can give without knowing more specifics about the child. I know it's Sunday and your day has come and gone, but I hope this will help you in the future, and anyone that needs it.

Edited by Mud Puddle

You might be better off just locking her in the bathroom.

I kid I kid, that's just a bit to cruel.

Definetly sounds like you got your hands full though and that's just with one kid.

My biggest thing is you need to be nice, but never to the point where the kids going to try and just walk all over you.

They clearly need to know just how much they are allowed to do and ask for.

(edited)

Condition them with a squirt bottle and treats. If that doesn't work then give her a perma ban time out. Don't give into any of her demands. It's your sister, how much trouble could you get in for giving her a deserved several hour long time out? :P

Go to the store and buy rope or ducktape and tap her to a chair.

Edited by Bohtty

• 10 years later...