Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you attracted to ponies? (platonic attraction)

Lady Rarity Pony

355 users have voted

1. 1. Are you attracted to ponies? (platonic)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

I really like Cloudchaser's colors and design. I have the impression it's due in large part to the fact her mane looks a lot like human hair.

• Brohoof 1

I know what platonic means but platonic attraction? What do you mean? ...

It's attraction to the very essence of the object rather than infatuation in a sexual or romantic sense. Think of it as a dispassionate acknowlegement of the attractiveness of ponies.

• Brohoof 1

I find them all beautiful in the cartoon, and if they are drawn to be attractive then yeah, I guess if it's platonic. Though, may favorites would have to be Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Luna. I just find them beautiful and when drawn in the right way they can be very attractive.

(I'm still a uncomfortable about feeling this way about ponies, but at least I'm not the only one.)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I am actually kind of attracted to Luna, Twilight, And, Fluttershy :blush:

They are SOO ADORABLE :D

Edited by dominatorstrangeman8
  • Brohoof 1

I find them all beautiful in the cartoon, and if they are drawn to be attractive then yeah, I guess if it's platonic. Though, may favorites would have to be Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Luna. I just find them beautiful and when drawn in the right way they can be very attractive.

(I'm still a uncomfortable about feeling this way about ponies, but at least I'm not the only one.)

I couldn't agree more with all of this.

Well of course people are more than likely to find it attractive in a platonic way, even people that won't admit it I find hard to believe telling any truth through their words; a lie through their teeth if you will.

It's probably because of their relations to humans. Most animators of a good degree that build shows with in depth stories try and find ways to synch up characters with their viewers, even if the character is not in any way of the same species. Their mannerisms, their traits, even their looks are somewhat put out to a degree as for us to better relate.

You can see them attempting this, and I mean that in a slewed way, with the G3 ponies. That show creeps me out since they would sometimes have actual human faces on them. But with better animation techniques, we now have better ways to go about that.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

You're not the only one who's uncomfortable with the idea. So allow me to offer you the solace I (apparently and inexplicably) have given others. I was once uncomfortable with the idea before I had a revelation. For years I was never quite as hot blooded as my similarly aged peers. Sex was never very high on my priority list and erotic imagery was more of a turn off than anything. I never thought I was asexual though because I did develop crushes, and upon getting my first girlfriend, begun to "long for her." At first I thought it was me being chivalrous as to not be attracted to women in perverse ways. But my relationship revealed I do feel that way after all. Not long after watching the show, I began to show crush signs again . . . on Fluttershy. I panicked for obvious reasons at first. But I realized in hindsight, my former girlfriend is A LOT like Fluttershy! As well as Rarity and Twilight, whom I also had some feelings for. I dug deeper into the "waifu" phenomenon and crossed referenced it with my readings into psychology. Alas! Precedence for the behavior! According to Jungian Psychology, we all have an "anima" the ideal female archetype. Each anima is different to the individual, to the point that to otherwise similar men have opposing anima's. One being his total opposite, the other similar to himself as an example. The ponies in this show are narrative metaphors for human behavior and archetypes. They don't act like animals, they even refer to squirrels and such as "animals" rather than considering themselves animals. They blur the line of anthropomorphism. True, they don't have human faculties such as hands and still engage in animal behavior such as Macintosh rearing one leg as a warning to AJ, Pinkie rolling in the grass, and Fluttershy pawing the ground when nervous. (Humans, for the record, still beat their chests, and hoot and holler.) At the same time though, they have a functioning society, and have all the virtues and faults we see in ourselves as intelligent, well meaning, but fallible mortals. They are, in this sense, not "horses" anymore than you're a monkey, but another fantasy race such as elves. Just with an equine form rather than a humanoid one. When you see Rainbow, you see a heroic, competitive, athletic, and loyal friend. The fact the she's a pegasus pony is WHAT she is but not WHO she is. You are simply acknowledging the existence of your anima. Dash has traits that you see in an ideal partner. Couple that with an art style that matches your anima's visual imprint (also in there) and BINGO! Subconscious association is the name of the game, my friend.

Well of course people are more than likely to find it attractive in a platonic way, even people that won't admit it I find hard to believe telling any truth through their words; a lie through their teeth if you will.

It's probably because of their relations to humans. Most animators of a good degree that build shows with in depth stories try and find ways to synch up characters with their viewers, even if the character is not in any way of the same species. Their mannerisms, their traits, even their looks are somewhat put out to a degree as for us to better relate.

You can see them attempting this, and I mean that in a slewed way, with the G3 ponies. That show creeps me out since they would sometimes have actual human faces on them. But with better animation techniques, we now have better ways to go about that.

You make an excellent point good sir. A good reason my theory holds ANY water (assuming it does to begin with) is that the ponies aren't exactly human, but there is a visible difference between them and our horses. Twilight even turns mice into horses to pull their carriage to the Grand Galloping Gala and they are obviously different creatures, not even intelligent enough for speech. The g3 ponies were much closer to our understood image of ponies while being juuuuuuuust human enough that they dove into the Uncanny Valley. The design of the current characters registers as "different" in our brains. We work off of the image of ponies but they are still a horse of a different color.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXILNncQwH4

The reason "humanized ponies" even exist is because the designs for the characters are unique and flexible. The Mane Six carry personality archetypes often associated with certain female builds and clothing aesthetics. Rainbow Dash as thin and toned, wearing track shorts and a sky blue running jacket "fits." Fluttershy being more lithe and graceful wearing a green skirt and a yellow sweater "works." The characters being ponies makes them unique as it's a fantastic element to remind us this isn't our world. But the characters are done well enough that they still make sense as human beings.

Example:

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Platonic.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Ribbing aside, my impression is that we wouldn't be here if we didn't have at least some appreciation for the character design and portrayal. That humanized version of meeting Pinkie is really cute, but the unicorn horn on human Twilight just feels out of place. Most versions of the human(e) 6 don't have wings or horns.

Edited by NLR Soldier

Personally, no, though I can understand why some people may be attracted to the female characters, both because of their designs and personalities. I'm a straight girl, so I don't feel any sort of romantic attraction to them. I do aesthetically love their color schemes though.

Okay, quick adjustment, I am kind of starting to develop an attraction for both Twilight simply because she's everything I WANT to be

She's Studious, Organized, & quite hard working, she's pretty much everything I'm not :blush:

• Brohoof 1

I'm a little bit attracted to Twilight, Trixie and Luna, hehe. Or maybe a little bit more than a little...

Your avatar REALLY doesn't help your case with the " a little bit more than a little" thing..
  • Brohoof 1

Okay, quick adjustment, I am kind of starting to develop an attraction for both Twilight simply because she's everything I WANT to be

She's Studious, Organized, & quite hard working, she's pretty much everything I'm not :blush:

I know that feeling. I get that feeling to, for Twilight as well as others. For a same sex example, I look to Fancypants. He is confident, classy, wealthy, powerful, cultured, and gentlemanly. Nopony gives me or my views much heed, comes from being an idealistic hopeful-soldier growing up in a world of nihilistic hipsters. When Fancypants holds something in high regard, however, THEY LISTEN! Everypony trusts his judgment and views. Wish I could be like that.

I'd be all up on Braeburn... if he were human. Big Mac too. MLP has some fine looking stallions, but the horse thing is a no for me.

Just want to say, NIIIIIIICE looking avatar! I agree with you though in that they make all their characters look distinctive and cool in their own way. Though to continue your train of thought and give you another option, allow me to introduce you too . . . .

Posted Image

Calamity!

• Brohoof 1

I guess you could call it platonic. I wub all of the ponies and just want to hug them until I can't hug no more but there's a fourth wall in the way :( . And as for who? Everypony.