Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What difficulty do you usually start at?

Evilshy

For games like Fallout and Skyrim, hardest difficulty was a must,, Else they seemed completely pointless. Actually Skyrim was still pointless if you were looking for a challenge, so it was more about exploring and goofing around.

I also played Deus Ex: Human Revolution on hardest difficulty and apparently it was a good choice as at times it was still too easy. Actually managed to figure out a strategy to kill 2nd boss with bullets alone (i didn't pick necessary augmentations to beat her easy way and i found that out AFTER beating her). She was, no doubt, the hardest obstacle for me.

Well, to be honest, my strategy to beat her was CLEARLY abusing a small loophole in the enemy AI, making it near impossible for her to get a chance to fight back.

Minecraft is ridiculously easy so if i decide to play it, it has to be on hardcore.

I can't say same about strategy games really. But then again, if you look at games like Heroes of Might and Magic III, hardest difficulty gives computer opponents an advantage that could be considered as a cheap way of making game harder. Instead of making enemy AI smarter, they just start with more resources.

Also i suck at Civilization series and never got that into RTS genre either.

But yeah, i enjoy a challenge.

Oh and hardcore Terraria is just lovely.

When I play games I always pick Normal first. I don't really want to pick hard because I know I am going to ragequit, haha.

I, being a pretty hardcore gamer, usually play on hard first even when I know I probably won't be able to beat anything. :lol: Although it seems the newer games I get into, are usually a lot harder than older games "hard" difficulty setting on the "normal" or "easy" difficulty setting.

Normal, unless it's a game with a story I'm super interested in. Then I'll play on the easiest difficulty to get the story elements faster, and play on hard after that.

Normal, or easy. I horrible at video games, except for a select few, and even then there are others who wipe the floor with me. :(

The only time I play on hardest difficulty is for achievements...

Minecraft: peaceful

Halo: easy

Battlefield: easy

Call of Duty: Recruit

Pirates & Traders: Apprentice

Terraria: Soft Core

Ghost Reacon: Hardened

:I

• 3 weeks later...
i always play on normal on every game i played ^_^. if the game gets to easy i go to hard. if the game gets hard get better>:). the only time when i go on easy is when i die 10 times. but that rarely happens.but the toughest game i have ever played is GOW geez i got stuck and died so many times i lost count>_<.

I usually start on normal or hard, but if the game get too drawn-out I will set it down to easy. It's very seldom the challenge that makes me change the difficulty level only if the game seizes being fun. For instance I have Skyrim on the easiest difficulty, because it's quicker to grind stuff that way.

If the game does become too little of a challenge, it often goes up to hard or higher. (Not lately though, since my graphics card can't run the newest games. That means that my fps usually is around 15, which slows the games waaaaaay to much.)

I ALWAYS start on the highest possible difficulty. For Pokemon games, that means I do a blind Nuzlocke run and pray for mercy.

Oh yeah, it also doesn't matter what language the game is in. I imported Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix, and even though I didn't understand Japanese whatsoever I still played it on Critical mode just because I could, god damnit, and I beat the thing easily(...maybe not easily >_>).

Edited by Skyman

Well out of the most games I play, I normally on Normal regardless if I'm playing with my brother or another person. When It comes to me playing solo, I always start off with Very Easy Difficulty.

With The Exception of Certain Kirby Games I play with a Extra Mode, I just take on that Difficulty for Full Completion of the game, but usually I play in Co-op for Kirby's Return to Dreamland only.

For Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, that's another exception, but I started off with normal difficulty for the 1st time I Played the game.

It used to always be the easiest, but now I'm going more for the hardest difficulty. My bro said that was smart to do. I'd get a lot more experience and a lot better at it my just bluntly going ahead faster by doing that.

• 1 year later...

Normal for pretty much every game. It just seems like the, well, normal difficulty to go with; the game's benchmark difficulty, I guess I would say. The next playthroughs are where I bump up the difficulty up to the point just short of being way too difficult (in other words, just plain annoying).

I do things differently for fighting games though. For every character I have no interest in actually learning how to play with, I'll just turn down the difficulty to get through their story if I need to and mash my way to victory. 

I generally do one level above "normal", just because it's funner to make it more challenging. Depending on the game, I might turn it up a level if it exists but never down. If I turn it down and win it doesn't really feel like winning to me, you know?