Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What difficulty do you usually start at?

Evilshy

I always start on the easiest difficulty and work my way up. Many times it's usually more rewarding(see Phantasy Star Online, MGS)

And sometimes I do it to be a perfectionist

Usually normal or something in the middle, but on shooting games I put it on a harder difficulty, especially on Call of Duty and Halo. 

I start at normal difficulty when I start a game, then I start to challenge myself when I get more used to the game. So, I usually just start at normal then switch to hard when needed.

I usually suck at every game I touch when I first play it, so I usually pick "Normal" just to be safe. Though, sometimes I get cocky and throw it on the highest difficulty, and get my booty handed to me x3

On any game I play I start on medium difficulty and once I've completed it (and got the hang of controls etc) I'll jump to the hardest mode. Except in some games like Fallout where you can change the difficulty as you play, then I knock it higher while still playing if I find medium too easy.

This should be a poll.

Hardest. Seeing my gaming history, there's no need for me to go any lower anymore. Games have nothing to surprise me with, if we're talking shooters. RTS/RPG etc are medium/normal because you usually have to learn mechanics firsts.

But any kinds of shooters? Hardest, possible, ever. Then if I can't beat one moment, I'm just persistent or RQ to come back later. But I rarely think of lowering the difficulty settings.

Hardest so I can rage at it, and get my mind off the worries of my life, then I start to get used to the game, and lower the difficulty after that stage, after I've used to the harder difficultly so I can get through it on Normal with a tad bit more ease.

i will play on normal for all games even the types of games i really suck at, I don't have great motor skills , i just don't like the irritation of playing it on the hardest difficulty, i just like to play through it, but i do like the mechanics of a game rather than the challenge at most times.

• 7 months later...

Hack 'n' Slash games: First I play on normal, then I try out Hard. In fact I never play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance on anything below Hard.

Other games: Easy or normal. I rarely play shooters on hard. Vanquish is the only shooter so far where I started on Normal.

Easy for me. I am really not a challenge orientated gamer. I just like to enjoy myself and kill time doing it. And when I am not on easy, my heart races and I get really stressed at situations where I could die in a game. I wish I was better able to handle this because almost all games can have you die, so it really isn't a big deal. I guess my mind subconsciously takes games as more reality than fiction when it comes to death. I do not take games for reality, I don't even play games that often because I honestly think gaming is waste of time. However, when I have nothing currently to read (or lack of a desire to read), when all the chores are done, and I do not want to tackle a new challenge at that current time, I do plop my butt on the couch for some time killing gaming fun.