Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What difficulty do you usually start at?

Evilshy

If the game is an FPS I usually start to play it at hard,just because I want a challenge,and nowadays FPS games are way to easy anyway,if the game is Halo the first playthrough is always at normal or heroic,after that i jump into legendary mode to get  my butt cracked XD 

In RPGs like Skyrim the difficulty is setted to normal usually,or if I find the game too easy I switch it to an harder difficulty.

(The CoD and BattleField games are damn easy even at the hardest difficulty,it's obnoxious ._.) 

(edited)

I play nearly every game on Easy. I don't think dying slightly more adds challenge it just creates a timesink.

I play a lot of old FPS's and action orientated games and in those higher difficulty just means enemies do more damage and have higher hitpoints usually that's about it, what is the point in that? Just pick another game if you want a different experience.

It would make sense if you where into adventure and puzzle type games as those actually sometimes have the option of more elabourate puzzles, so the game play is actuallly different.

Edited by Gamer Twilight

when i first get a game that i've never played before i play on Easy just so i can see the story for what it is but after i complete it i wait a couple of weeks than bump it up to Normal as to see if i could manage the game on the highest difficulty

I do normal first and try to get as much of the experience as possible and accomplish what I can. On the the hardest difficulty, I then do a straight run through without bothering getting everything on the way.

I usually start on normal difficulty, and if it proves to be too easy, I'll kick it up a notch with a harder difficulty, or on New Game Plus. Y'know, assuming a game HAS a New Game Plus to begin with.

I play my games typically on normal. I used to play on easy because I liked to win, but it lost it's novelty after a while. When Luigi can win mini games against your opponents by literally doing nothing, it might be wise to give the computer a fighting chance.

• 5 years later...

I'll usually start off at easy or normal, though I'll choose hard if I have enough experience with the game to cope.

Edited by Cash In

It depends on what game I'm playing and how much experience I have with said game, but usually I always start at normal difficulty. 

I hardly if ever play video games though. 

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the game. If it's Fallout or something like that, I typically use the easiest difficulty level. In sports games, I normally start off with the whatever the default setting is, which is normally their normal difficulty. For example, in the MLB the show games, I typically use their Veteran difficulty.

• Brohoof 2

It depends on how familiar I am with the genre. In Minecraft I usually play on medium or hard depending on how I'm feeling, and while I like normal mode in Terraria too, expert mode is a nice challenge. In FPS games I start on normal, but I'll bump the difficulty up once I feel comfortable in the game. In racing games (the few that I play) I'll usually do easy, but depending on the game, sometimes I'll play medium. And in games like Skyrim I'll play on Adept (roughly equivalent to medium, I think), but if I want to have fun and god-mode, I'll bump it down to Novice and just find a dragon to kick to death.

I remember doing a solo run-through of Halo Reach on legendary back in high school, and that was hell. I got to the part in the last mission where (I'd say spoiler, but it's an old game) Emile dies and you have to get to the massive gun and shoot down all the Covenant ships, but I could never reach it without dying. My Halo Reach disc got irreparably scratched before I could complete it, which was disappointing. I need to buy a new one and finally finish it just so I can say I did. Or maybe I'll just wait until it's out on PC.

Easy, except for racing games (Medium), Ninja Gaiden on Xbox (Normal), DOOM 2016 (Hurt Me Plenty) and Dark Souls (Dark Souls). Aside from the ones I mentioned explicitly, I don't play games for challenge, but instead for a wish fulfillment/power fantasy kind of thing. If god mode is an available cheat, I'll be using it. When I'm playing games I just want to smash my my way through legions of replaceable mooks and watch the story unfold. I really don't feel any desire to prove myself or actually get good at a game. The exceptions are exceptions because they simply wouldn't be fun if they were easier. Racing game AI on Medium is still laughably easy to beat, but not so atrocious that all the fun goes out of it, DOOM's challenge levels are exactly right because you're OP as hell anyway, and Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls HAVE to be incredibly hard, it just doesn't feel right otherwise.

Usually for me, it's normal or a the middle most difficulty. I rather get the experience that the designers wanted me to have.

• Brohoof 3

For me, it usually depends on the video game that I'm playing. Most of the time, I usually play games on normal difficulty. If I am familiar with the game series/genre, then I'll play the game on hard difficulty. The only time I play on easy mode is when I try to see if I can do a speed run of that particular video game. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Usually, the "normal" difficulty, as that's what the designers generally intend you to play on. But in the case of Halo games I started on Heroic instead, as Heroic is actually closer to a median difficulty than "Normal" is.

Edited by Dustlicious
  • Brohoof 2

For fps type games like call of duty or Borderlands, i start on hard...then immediately go down to normal cause i die way more often then id like to admit.

Racing games like Forza, Project Cars, and The Crew 2, i go hard mode cause ive always been better at racing games then any others.

JRPGS/RPGS i always go on the easiest mode possible because Final Fantasy 7 took me a year to beat when it came out and im still traumatised by the difficult monster battles.

Platforming games like Crash Bandicoot i go easy mode when applicable too and for the reason of some platformers being unforgiving. 

Usually Normal, because I like to get the feel of the game experience without it feeling like a cake-walk.

However, if it's a franchise game I'm really familiar with, I start on the hardest difficulty for the challenge and achievements.

• Brohoof 1

I go with the middle difficulty setting. I like enough challenge not to be a breeze but not so hard that I ragequit the game. Sometimes I step it up if I like the game, but I usually do not. I'm there for the experience first and foremost, not artificial, or punishing, difficulty.

• Brohoof 2

Babby difficulty. Cause I don't like knowing I suck at all vidya D: But I go for harder difficulties if I get enough practice

• Brohoof 2