Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Awkwardness with pony merch

Pexaro

Heh, I wore my Rainbow Dash Hoodie at High Point with pride and wasn't ashamed about it. People laughed at it, but I was not insulted nor embarrassed. In fact, my precalc teacher said I looked cute wearing it. Every time she looked at it, she couldn't stop smiling. When I walked in with it, the class was staring at it. 

I tell ya, the people at High Point are awesome! Completely open. 

But sadly, now I gotta go to Community college this year, which is gonna be totatlly different, as there will be people from all sorts of backgrounds.  :(

But that's only for this year. 

Aww, gigantic bummer ovah hurr D8

Usually when I'm wearing my merchandise, I'm aggressive enough to tell other people to do the anatomically impossible xD

I do try to talk with them about it first, but if they try to make fun of me, that's the end of my friendliness XD

Im going to answer your question with a story of my own. I got a derpy hooves wallet a few days ago, I am not old enough to drive so my parents had to go with me. They thought at first i was joking about the wallet, then they were saying I was going to get beat up and made fun of at school. I said "I don't care, I like mlp and nobody doing anything is going to change that." moral, just dont let it bother you.

My husband has at least 5 or 6 MLP FiM tshirts he wears as often as he can, a pony hanging from our rearview mirror, and has one of the Rainbow Dash wallets. Not a shy fan at all! And in the last three years, I've never seen him get any flack for it. It's actually led to him meeting a lot of people, at airports, restaurants, everywhere. He's got a very nonchalant attitude when it comes to the opinion of strangers! 

It's cute when we're out shopping and a cashier sees his wallet and they confesses to being a fan too.

Just the other day actually,my brony friend and I were out riding bikes along the river....and we passed a girl,turns out she was friends with myfrined...so we stopped and chatted,I was wearing my purple Vinyl Scratch  shirt.She made a remark of it being MLP, and I told her what pony it was and she gave me an awkward look as in like "is that her real name or did you make tat up?" then I told her Vinyl's alternate name DJ Pon3 and she was like "yea, that's more suitable "  Well Vinyl is wearing glow-rings and dancing on giant Vinyl records. Then after she left,me and my friend Mac(brony friend I'm with) Just sorta giggled afterwards.

Hi! so you know what's awkward? That short time when you're waiting for a text reply and you're left with nothing to do... But more than that, when you're wearing an awesome piece of brony merchandise like this wristband http://img.hottopic....,0,0&iccEmbed=0 and then someone asks. "hey, what's a bra-ny?" I was about to reply but then he sees Rainbow Dash's mane and asks "IS THAT GAY PRIDE?!" now what I wanted to say was "NO! it just means that I'm 20% cooler than YOU!" But alll that came out was "Um... no... it's....my little pony" he then decides to reply "And you like that?" and usually I'd reply "HELL YEAH, It's awesome!!" but I was taking a summer course with this kid and I didn't want to be seen as even more of a loser so I replied "no..." after that he asked if it was some kind of joke, I told him it was and that was the end of it. So let me know, all my bronies out there if there's any way you deal with these things and how you get around them cuz honestly at school I get the assertiveness of this pony ---> blush.png so yeah, let me know cause I really want to be able to stand my ground and show that ponies can be manly. Thanks for reading!

I hate the fact that the gays use the rainbow as their symbol (no offence to those here that are gay or lesbian) because Rainbow Dash might be taken the wrong way by someone unfamiliar to MLP!

• Brohoof 1

Well heres MY akward story with Pony Merch......

I had just bought MLP FIM EqG on DVD after work one night. I brought it home, hid it in between two of my Adam Sandler movies on my personal DVD shelf...... Ok so my mom walks in while im at Work the next day, and finds it..... Which would NOT have been a huge deal, ive she hadent ALSO found several Mangas (Each depicting Yaoi on their covers) on our door step, from one of my more idiotic friends.. and its addressed to ME!!!...... So now I had to explain to a CRYING mother that im not gay, that my friend was an idiot to send those to me, and what exactly bronyism is all about...... AWKWARD!!!!!

So I do feel your pain.... I have huge aprehentions wearing the couple wristbands ive bought..... And much less motivated to wear my RD Hoodie in public.... If only people weren't such immature assholes about it......

It took me a while to build the courage to wear MLP shirts in public.  If its something you really feel you cant defend yet.  I would probly not wear any merchandice.   Heck I'm a fan of Sailor Moon and I felt that it was something I really did not want to reveal in Mid/High school.

As for the peer presure,  that is probly the hardest thing to deal with.  I'm gonna take a guess that your in high school.  It should be known that the people you go to school with you will probly never see again (unless you keep in touch with them) when you leave.  I think I have met maybe 2 people from my high school years later. 

Personally I would probly just not tell anyone,  but that Is because I am very nonconfrentational in Real life.

I hate the fact that the gays use the rainbow as their symbol (no offence to those here that are gay or lesbian) because Rainbow Dash might be taken the wrong way by someone unfamiliar to MLP

I Had to comment on this as well when I read it.  I Liked Rainbows Way before someone decided to associate it with being "Gay".

Heck I had a Few CCD (Catholic school classes) where we made Rainbow orniments because They were "Things of Beauty made by God to show his love for Mankind."

• Brohoof 1

I Had to comment on this as well when I read it.  I Liked Rainbows Way before someone decided to associate it with being "Gay". Heck I had a Few CCD (Catholic school classes) where we made Rainbow orniments because They were "Things of Beauty made by God to show his love for Mankind."

I totally agree! My mom hates it too (we're Jewish) because she says they turned the rainbow into something it's not meant to represent that's why I'm kind of afraid to wear my RD Simply Awesome T-shirt somewhere because I often wonder if ppl will mistake me for being a lesbian. 

I've been the target of bullies from over 8 different schools over 11 years, and I still get the occasional prank pulled on me. I've come to terms that no matter what I do I'm going to receive the short end of the stick. I've learnt to not give a toss what others think of me (with the exception of employers), so I can wear pony merch in public with pride, safe in the knowledge that I am 20% better then the rest of them :P  

• 6 years later...

I'll be honest I'm still a little embarrassed about buying pony merchandise in public, I'm still quite conscious about what other people may think about me when I buy something intended for young girls.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2012 at 3:10 AM, RockinRarity said:

There was one time where my brony boyfriend was over with me at my parents' house, and we were watching MLP in the basement on Netflix. My dad came downstairs and was like, "You're making him watch this with you?" I was like, "Ummm, no not really," and my dad asked him, "You don't actually like this, do you?" or something like that, I can't remember. After my dad left, my boyfriend made it a rule that we're not to watch MLP together at my parents' house because they don't want them to judge him. Not really a merchandise moment, but Netflix is a product that we pay for, so I guess it counts?

I had a similar situation- always found it kind of ironic that the boyfriend was the one in the relationship watching the girls-targeted pony cartoon religiously, rather than myself. But it's always parents that get weird and judgemental about unnecessarily gendered things- guys need to be comfortable with liking things that are pastel-coloured if they want to!

And the age thing is another- yes, it's intented for younger audiences, but again, who makes these kids' shows? Adults, duh. As long as you respect kids' space to enjoy a thing, go nuts and enjoy it too (unless you're one of those people over 99+ that try to play with Lego. The box clearly says that's illegal). I don't really have merch that I wear or carry around, but I do have a bag I use- a shopping bag branded for the movie- and some guy made a sneery comment about it being for 'little kids'. Pretty sure he was wearing a Pokemon hat, so I didn't wanna get into that particular argument with a rando at the library...

I don't really care. I probably would not put MLP stickers on my car or wear a shirt that looks really girly (or has rainbows on it, because sadly a rainbow can be considered a political statement), but I can wear a shirt with Twilight's cutie mark on it.

I can buy MLP toys in a physical shop no problem. The cashier doesn't really care and if they did, they would assume that I am buying them for my kids (I do not have kids, but the cashier would not know it).