Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What does SWAG means?

Starshine

Pretty sure everyone here at some point heard about this word. Some describe it as the new cool slang, but some regards this word with blatant disgust.

But what the hell does it mean?

According to wikipedia:

Swag may refer to:

SWAG may refer to:
  • SWAG, Sourceware Archive Group, a free collection of classified source code and sample programs written in Pascal.
  • SWAG, Special Warfare Group, an elite unit of the Naval Special Warfare Group of the Philippine Navy
  • SWAG, Scientific, Wild-Ass Guess. See List of U.S. Air Force acronyms and expressions.

Wiktionary:

Pronunciation

Etymology 1

From swag (verb), probably from Old Norse sveggja (“to swing, sway”), +‎ -er (“frequentative”)

Verb

swag (third-person singular simple present swags, present participle swagging, simple past and past participle swagged)

• Brohoof 1

Swag is short for swagger, which means a very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive gait or manner.
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I've had one friend say that SWAG means "Secretly, We Are Gay."

But I doubt that is what it originally stood for. It sounds more like a pejorative someone made up to tease those who use swag.

Edited by DeltaTangent
  • Brohoof 2

Swag is short for swagger, which means a very confident and typically arrogant or aggressive gait or manner.

Edit: Or maybe not. Considering everyone here considers swag as a horrid term. :o

Maybe not? Consider the definition above and then go to the Life Advice forum and you'll understand why some hate the word.
  • Brohoof 1

"appearance ,style ,or the way he or she presents them selves."

Is a pretty good definition of what it originally meant, but tumblr and lolsites ( but mainly tumblr ) made everyone believe that it suddenly is some secret way of behaving cool.

For something similar, there is also YOLO

Ah yes TM87. According to Bulbapedia:

Swagger raises the target's Attack two stages and confuses it. Should the target already be confused, or be protected by confusion due to Safeguard, Swagger will still raise its Attack. Pokémon with the Ability Own Tempo are immune to both effects. Because the target's Attack increases, they will receive more damage if they hurt themselves.

• Brohoof 10

"appearance ,style ,or the way he or she presents them selves."

Is a pretty good definition of what it originally meant, but tumblr and lolsites ( but mainly tumblr ) made everyone believe that it suddenly is some secret way of behaving cool.

For something similar, there is also YOLO

post-2597-0-45156400-1342662978.jpg

Swag is one of those words that teenagers abuse way too much. It's now considered to mean something like "Cool/awesome" by kids from the suburbs who try to act "gangsta".

• Brohoof 2

I don't understand what it refers to, but I hate it. Especially because at my school I get the pleasure of hearing it in all of my classes every day.

One of my teachers hates when kids say "swag" so much that he threatened to throw kids out of the classroom for using it, lol.

Another version I heard a long time ago and still like the best was, Stuff We All Get, and SWAG bags would be handed out at conventions.

That's how I always knew it. I think it's just a word that's changing with generations. Wouldn't be the first time a word completely changed definition.

Besides, who doesn't love free stuff!?