Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

N/A                                                                                      

Ah, i see your issue. My friend, i have had the same feelings pervade my soul before. Why isn't Equestria real, right? Its just a much more desirable place to be, with desirable friends and desirable circumstances. Why cant you be a pony? Well my friend, what you must realize is that you ARE a pony. One's outside characteristics have no say on the contents of their soul, and this is what Lauren Faust has been trying to teach us all along. We have to MAKE this world Equestria. Spread kindness wherever your hooves tread, and one day, you will find a kindred soul. She will be sweet and kind, shy and loving. She, my friend, will be your fluttershy.

When I read that, this song came to mind. Actually this whole thread reminds me of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPqsl3SDUr0

We can't actually go to Equestria but like he says in the song, "The world is just what we create, so let's make love and lets make friends and lets take time to make amends. Let's make the world more like Equestria."

N/A                                                                                      

Edited by Guest

Aren't we all? ;)

Anyway, I think it's somewhat normal if it's her personality you're attracted to and not the actual pony, which seems to be the case.

Otherwise, you should perhaps seek professional help haha!

I completely understand where you're coming from to an extent. It's probably her personality and mannerisms that you feel attracted to rather than her body. Personally, I have a bit of a crush on Twilight Sparkle. Not because she's a colorful fictional horse, but because she's what I usually look for in a real life girlfriend (intelligence, leadership abilities, a bit of cute social awkwardness, etc.). If I met a girl that acted akin to Twilight, I would be attracted to her in the same way.

Not to get too NSFW, but I think this kind of idea is how clopfiction got started in the first place. Of course there's always going to be that guy who's into it strictly for the physical aspects, but I think that people would mostly be into it because they like the personalities of the characters and would like to see it mature to the next level.

-----

tl;dr: You're fine. You don't need to be shipped off to Dorthea Dix or anything. Not that you weren't, but just be careful when you mention to somepony that you like Fluttershy. Some ponies would take it the wrong way or not really understand where you're coming from. Just be clear and logical when you're explaining these feelings to somepony, and you'll be fine. I do commend you on having the courage to post a topic like that. You've earned +5 points, good sir.

Anyway, I think it's somewhat normal if it's her personality you're attracted to and not the actual pony, which seems to be the case.

I seriously just read that after I posted. lol

Edited by Kodiak

I totally had the same thing.

At first it was with Fluttershy, but I analyzed her character more...and really she's not my type.

Next was Rarity...Which lasted quite some time actually... But In the end Rainbow Dash was the girl I wanted to press tightly against the wall, never let go, and kiss her as I slowly whisper all the reasons I love her; feeling her body against mine, as we breathe in harmony...

And that thought...That one dream.. It left me speechless, and got me through many problems.

But...

It wasn't meant to be. She's a cartoon horse!

But I loved her.

But she isn't real.

BUT I FREAKING LOVE HER

For the longest time I've been bounding back and forth through my own emotions. I didn't tell anypony because I knew they'd think I was crazy.

So what I did was simple. I entered my own mind; AKA take a nap and hope my answer comes to me.

What I saw answered my question. I somehow managed to analyze why I was drawn to Rainbow Dash's character so much. And what made me want to get locked in a haunted house alone with her. I'll spare you my reasons, for we really do not have enough letters and words in the world to explain...

But those characteristics, the ones I found most treasured in the cartoon-horse I so desired; I made a careful note of.

Then... I entered my mind a second time; AKA I woke up in an epiphany, but I still had an hour before my alarm went off for school. So I went back to sleep.

I compiled those characteristics to find somepony I know in real life that has the characteristics of Rainbow Dash.

I came up with one answer. A girl I had met a long time ago. Thoughts of her, almost vanished until this dream. I knew I'd see her again; but it wasn't until then when I realized she emulated want I wanted in a woman---just like Rainbow Dash.

I only lusted after the real girl. She was the one I wanted to take to the woods, sneak up behind, grab hold around her waist, fall over onto a picnic blanket, and just lay under the stars; making up star names, because I know absolutely nothing about astronomy.

I was cured.

Now, as time went on, after being cured of this sick/twisted phase, I looked back on this experience logically. I realized many things, but most of all: this girl lives very far away, and I may not get the chance to see her (outside of facebook...)

I started 'tweaking' the traits I liked best. And now have opened my possibilities to girls (I had never noticed before!) at school. Of course the first girl I pictured is still at the top of the list, but now I have other options in case she doesn't work out.

I am not insane anymore, and do not want "play" with cartoon horses. I now much prefer real life; and find the entire notion of me even imagining such a possibility silly. Very silly. :P

I laugh at this experience, and know it will never happen again. Happy that I know what's waiting for me in the real world.

Hope I helped. I'd hate to see anypony go through what I did.

• Brohoof 6

N/A                                                                                      

Edited by Guest

I don't believe you can greatly influence whether you have a lucid dream or not but I may be wrong.

There are certain ways you can attempt to, but for the most part it has very little effect on the outcome. However, there is a plant that exists, Silene Capensis, African dream root, which can strengthen the bodies ability to dream. It is no intoxicant, but taken regularly, the user will experience frequent, vivid, memorable, and possibly lucid dreaming.

I think the biggest problem here is that you said Fluttershy and not Rainbow Dash.

However honestly, I think it's probably just a fad that you'll hopefully go through soon. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you start doing things that make you have to question your own sanity, with ponies..

N/A                                                                                      

Edited by Guest

All right so I wrote something here. It lies inside a spoiler tag to conserve space. Some of the points made here already I cannot hope to compete with but I hope what I wrote here helps not just you, but anypony here. It's even helping me. This is optimism I REALLY needed to write on that I may never feel again so here you go... a rare moment, I'm an optimist...

Finding Equestria

An Informative Article by Dylan Yocca

I think we can both agree that irl ponies and the ponies from mlp:fim look ALOT diffrent ;P

Well yes they are Anthropomorphic. They are made to share human characteristics to better personify characters with human emotions. You show me a MLPFIM Pony I go all D'awww! You show me an older gen MLP Pony I go bleh. You show my an IRL Pony and I go "So what? It's a fucking horse!" (I never liked horses IRL)
Sometimes I never even see through the fact that they are horses. A fact that scares me. (I'm losing intelligence if I can no longer figure that an organism that has 4 legs, hooves, and says horse puns every 5 seconds is a horse. What's next my house is bread!)

Anyway what you feel is a deep connection with the Ponies that we all feel. You specifically with Fluttershy, which I can see why. (Hell just look at the ;) emoticon, she asked for it, she had it coming JK)

The trick is that there comes a point where one becomes immersed in the world of Equestria. One feels like they are there with the Ponies actually following them around on their adventures. This is something this show has that I really haven't witnessed in a television show. (certainly some video games have) MLPFiM can be a very powerful show, and as the age old quote goes, "With great power, comes great responsibility!"

Right now I say you are overwhelmed by the show. You are immersed in the show. You feel the character(s) are alive and your friends. You feel like you never want to leave, and who could blame you! This world is shit where Equestria is so beautiful! But if you value your life you want to get out. But how?

You need to grip control of the situation. Take a break from Ponies and go out in the real world. I know real life is scary. Real life is tough and it sucks, but under all the hate, death, poverty, and suffering Equestria's out there. Not the actual Equestria, but True Happiness. The Ponies are out there too, but they embody real people. The Ponies are archetypes of thousands of real people out there. There are thousands of real life Twilight Sparkles, thousands of Pinkie Pies, thousands of Rainbow Dashes, and yes even thousands of Fluttershys! The trick is finding these people under the archetypes. If you want in on one of the thousands of Fluttershys, find the real Elements of Kindness. Focus on the kindest people you've ever known and hold them close because Fluttershy is in all of them. Even the girl who reluctantly holds the door in front of you as you mumble a brief Thank You think Fluttershy is in her too!

Once you think of it. You've been in Equestria all along. Certainly it's rough around the edges but it's there. You've been surrounded by the Mane 6 all your life without even knowing it. The Elements of Harmony, Honesty, Loyalty, Laughter, Generosity, Kindness, and yes even Magic (not in the fire balls out you your hands stuff, that's science. Remember Friendship is Magic) they are real. Not in some physical or celestial form but inside our minds. It's only a matter of bringing them out! Once we bring them out, We make Equestria!

Or in fewer words...

Ah, i see your issue. My friend, i have had the same feelings pervade my soul before. Why isn't Equestria real, right? Its just a much more desirable place to be, with desirable friends and desirable circumstances. Why cant you be a pony? Well my friend, what you must realize is that you ARE a pony. One's outside characteristics have no say on the contents of their soul, and this is what Lauren Faust has been trying to teach us all along. We have to MAKE this world Equestria. Spread kindness wherever your hooves tread, and one day, you will find a kindred soul. She will be sweet and kind, shy and loving. She, my friend, will be your fluttershy.

See if Fluttershy is who you desire then her physical form does not exists. Instead she's an ideal. She the pure personification of Kindness. In real life no such thing exists therefore you must settle for a human being man or woman with the most Kindness you can find!

In closing, The Elements of Harmony are a lot like the Elements on the Periodic Table. They make the world around us. They make up everything! You'll probably never find most of them in one solidified form, but you'll find samples all over the world. Your goal is to find the sample with the perfect Elemental Composition. Example: I'd say my Harmonic Elemental Composition would be akin to 15% Honesty, 20% Loyalty, 25% Laughter, 5% Generosity, 30% Kindness, 5% Magic (Friendship) Therefore I'm in between a human embodiment of Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy (well not nearly as cute).

So go! FInd your Elements of Harmony! Find your real life Fluttershy and make Equestria!

hmm... Harmonic Elemental Composition? Did I honestly write that! I'm no chemist, but I like it!

• Brohoof 2

Oh man thats quite deep, any ideas of how I can dream what I want? That would help alot.

"Dreaming what you want" is very hard to do... My dreams 'just happened'. Normally I don't even remember my dreams all; so anything I do remember is going to be important. Although I find it easier to get dreams of what I've been seeing all day. Like when I got Halo ODST; I played that for easily 5 hours, and when I wasn't playing it; it was all I could think about. It wasn't a "dream what you want" sort of thing, but more of a "stuck in your head" kind of thing.

But I think Googling it would be your best bet. Google knows everything you know.

Although, I don't think you'll need an epiphany dream to analyze Fluttershy's character. She's shy, beautiful, friendly, beautiful, loves animals, beautiful, kind, beautiful, can snap a bone if she wants to, beautiful, likes nature, beautiful, and many other things. Did I mention beautiful? :P

There are plenty of those girls around. I've known plenty of girls that share these traits with Fluttershy.

I think what you need to do is open your eyes to the girls you'd never notice otherwise. You know, the quiet one with glasses who always sits in the back of the room during your science class. ;)

All right so I wrote something here. It lies inside a spoiler tag to conserve space. Some of the points made here already I cannot hope to compete with but I hope what I wrote here helps not just you, but anypony here. It's even helping me. This is optimism I REALLY needed to write on that I may never feel again so here you go... a rare moment, I'm an optimist...

Finding Equestria

An Informative Article by Dylan Yocca

Well yes they are Anthropomorphic. They are made to share human characteristics to better personify characters with human emotions. You show me a MLPFIM Pony I go all D'awww! You show me an older gen MLP Pony I go bleh. You show my an IRL Pony and I go "So what? It's a fucking horse!" (I never liked horses IRL)

Sometimes I never even see through the fact that they are horses. A fact that scares me. (I'm losing intelligence if I can no longer figure that an organism that has 4 legs, hooves, and says horse puns every 5 seconds is a horse. What's next my house is bread!)

Anyway what you feel is a deep connection with the Ponies that we all feel. You specifically with Fluttershy, which I can see why. (Hell just look at the ;) emoticon, she asked for it, she had it coming JK)

The trick is that there comes a point where one becomes immersed in the world of Equestria. One feels like they are there with the Ponies actually following them around on their adventures. This is something this show has that I really haven't witnessed in a television show. (certainly some video games have) MLPFiM can be a very powerful show, and as the age old quote goes, "With great power, comes great responsibility!"

Right now I say you are overwhelmed by the show. You are immersed in the show. You feel the character(s) are alive and your friends. You feel like you never want to leave, and who could blame you! This world is shit where Equestria is so beautiful! But if you value your life you want to get out. But how?

You need to grip control of the situation. Take a break from Ponies and go out in the real world. I know real life is scary. Real life is tough and it sucks, but under all the hate, death, poverty, and suffering Equestria's out there. Not the actual Equestria, but True Happiness. The Ponies are out there too, but they embody real people. The Ponies are archetypes of thousands of real people out there. There are thousands of real life Twilight Sparkles, thousands of Pinkie Pies, thousands of Rainbow Dashes, and yes even thousands of Fluttershys! The trick is finding these people under the archetypes. If you want in on one of the thousands of Fluttershys, find the real Elements of Kindness. Focus on the kindest people you've ever known and hold them close because Fluttershy is in all of them. Even the girl who reluctantly holds the door in front of you as you mumble a brief Thank You think Fluttershy is in her too!

Once you think of it. You've been in Equestria all along. Certainly it's rough around the edges but it's there. You've been surrounded by the Mane 6 all your life without even knowing it. The Elements of Harmony, Honesty, Loyalty, Laughter, Generosity, Kindness, and yes even Magic (not in the fire balls out you your hands stuff, that's science. Remember Friendship is Magic) they are real. Not in some physical or celestial form but inside our minds. It's only a matter of bringing them out! Once we bring them out, We make Equestria!

Or in fewer words...

See if Fluttershy is who you desire then her physical form does not exists. Instead she's an ideal. She the pure personification of Kindness. In real life no such thing exists therefore you must settle for a human being man or woman with the most Kindness you can find!

In closing, The Elements of Harmony are a lot like the Elements on the Periodic Table. They make the world around us. They make up everything! You'll probably never find most of them in one solidified form, but you'll find samples all over the world. Your goal is to find the sample with the perfect Elemental Composition. Example: I'd say my Harmonic Elemental Composition would be akin to 15% Honesty, 20% Loyalty, 25% Laughter, 5% Generosity, 30% Kindness, 5% Magic (Friendship) Therefore I'm in between a human embodiment of Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy (well not nearly as cute).

So go! FInd your Elements of Harmony! Find your real life Fluttershy and make Equestria!

hmm... Harmonic Elemental Composition? Did I honestly write that! I'm no chemist, but I like it!

My friend, what you wrote is a wonderful ideal for never giving up. You did what I could not. You explained exactly what I seek in this life.

So I tell you Spyro, go seek your Fluttershy, go find the ideal person to be your very own Fluttershy. Keep searching like I keep searching for my Applejack. Good luck finding her!

Edited by Lamii

It was resolved long ago, friends. ^^

The topic about affection for a character of such show is still a nice topic to discuss. Talking about how you would like your vey own pony partner in real life, talking about the personality traits that you prefer from the specific characters.

I understand how you feel, hasn't anyone else ever had deep thoughts about something completely false/impossible to achieve and you you're convinced you "love" it? I call bull, everyone has. It really isn't threatening, aside from the facts it things may seem hopeless. If it doesn't depress you like a similar case did to me, then it really shouldn't be a problem.

Ignore it and it will go away. >best advice ever for mental issues

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah...

Here's the story: I became a brony in late December of last year. Watched every episode out at the time in a week. At the end of season 1, I found myself immensely attracted to Rainbow Dash. Very.

I know she's not real. That just makes me really sad, thinking about it. But I don't want to have intercourse with her, she's just unbelievably cute. Not sexy, there's a huge difference. Just... I don't know what to say about it, really.

Remember "At the Gala" in the season 1 finale? Watched that episode. When Rainbow Dash started singing in the aforementioned song, I immediately started crying, and then did so for the rest of this song.

What do you guys say about this, is it somewhat normal? Or is it just sick?

• Brohoof 1

I remember the person who was in love with Fluttershy.

Not hurting yourself or others: carry on until you find a true friend to love.