Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

-Colorado Shooting at Dark Knight Showing...-Content Warning-

Steel Matt

as much as I could agree with this I am very much in favor of abolishing the death sentence. It obviously does not deter violent crimes, and there are many examples of false executions where they later find out that people have been executed wrongfully. I realize that mine is an unpopular opinion but I believe in it.

as much as I could agree with this I am very much in favor of abolishing the death sentence. It obviously does not deter violent crimes, and there are many examples of false executions where they later find out that people have been executed wrongfully. I realize that mine is an unpopular opinion but I believe in it.

i agree i am against it , but when someone does somthing like this, for fame (anyone who thinks he did it for anyother reason need to be slapped)

I realize that mine is an unpopular opinion but I believe in it.

I support the death penalty but only in cases like this, where it's absolutely clear he did it. If there's any reasonable doubt, that person shouldn't be executed. And even if your opinion is unpopular, you're completely entitled to it. :)
  • Brohoof 1

Yea, this guy was a PhD student at the University of Colorado studying neuroscience. Hard to pick out the crazies when they act normal, isn't it? And guess what? Most people that go crazy, know exactly how to act to avoid attention. Sociopaths aren't uncommon anymore.

Before lumping him into the all-encompassing "sociopath" category (which generally isn't appropriate), it would be helpful to know the history of the gunman, especially if he required treatment for a serious mental condition.

I bet you dollars to donuts he has a medical history involving psychiatric medications.

I feel that way as well. In the end, if someone is guilty of a violent crime and is someone who would still cause harm if out in the open, they would nonetheless be separated from society anyhow by being imprisoned... But what if someone said guilty is innocent? If they're imprisoned, they can still be set free. If they're executed, they can never be brought back to life.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but at least a butcher knife serves a purpose. To cut up food.

All a gun is is a death machine. It has no purpose other than to kill things.

The fact of the matter is that guns are WAY too accessible in the United States. There is a good reason the States has the highest rate of gun related violence of any first world country.

So as long as we can come up with an excuse to use a weapon for something other than killing it's okay? What if I said I wanted to use a gun to shoot coconuts out of a tree because it would be easier? It's the same thing really

I get why you're against guns, the truth is I would prefer them not to exist too, but what this is really coming down to is you want to ban guns because you don't trust most people to use them for good rather than bad, no? If that's the end all reason for you thinking they should be banned I can't really argue with you, but I think thinking that is a sad way to look at your fellow man- but who knows, that might just be my naive optimism thinking

Before lumping him into the all-encompassing "sociopath" category (which generally isn't appropriate), it would be helpful to know the history of the gunman, especially if he required treatment for a serious mental condition.

I bet you dollars to donuts he has a medical history involving psychiatric medications.

Admittedly, that was unfair on my part. I do want to know about this guys past, for sure. The way in which he approached the whole situation just doesn't seem right though. He was calm about the whole thing and waiting in the parking lot for police still in the riot gear he'd been wearing. Something just isn't right with him.

I support the death penalty but only in cases like this, where it's absolutely clear he did it. If there's any reasonable doubt, that person shouldn't be executed. And even if your opinion is unpopular, you're completely entitled to it. :)

agreed...and you are of course welcome to yours

regardless...this was a horrible moment

(edited)

Why shouldn't he be able to? For all intents and purposes, Yesterday, he was a well rounded individual who happened to like guns. Today he's the latest crazy to shoot someone. The point is, you can't tell who will shoot someone. And if they have a clean record, more often than not, they won't go crazy and shoot random people in a public place. Don't let random acts of violence influence your standing on all guns. Millions of gun owners in America didn't go out and shoot someone yesterday. One guy did. Don't let the minority influence the majority.

Yes, he is a minority, but that doesn't change the fact that 14 people will never see home ever again because of some punk with a gun. I know most gun owners aren't crazy, but it is completely irresponsible to overlook innocent deaths just because 'It was only a small minority of gun users who snapped and killed people'.

I know for a fact that America would be a much safer place to live in if guns were taken more seriously. They are machines of death, not some sort of collectors item. You should not be able to get one just by opening up a bank account with some small time bank. You shouldn't be able to buy a gun at a local Wal-Mart or a convenient store.

I'm not saying guns should be banned all together, I'm just asking for some damn responsibility from the american people who think guns are an entitlement.

Edited by Eljordo

I have to agree with this. I think that the state should not have the power to send someone to their death. Period. Killing someone to teach people that killing is wrong is just crazy in my opinion.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

well lets face the facts now, this mans name is out he is now famous he will be rememberd for this, the familiys of those who lost there lives wont likely recover.

if he go's to prison which this person knows he will and he will plea that he wasnt in the right stat of mind and will only get a life sentence 25-30 years.

It's getting almost as bad in Canada though. Look at the street party shooting in Toronto just a couple of days ago. True, a lot of the guns may come from the US but people here are still choosing to buy them.

It mainly seems to be guns that cause problems in the United States, yet people seem to think that having more guns will solve the problem.

It was guns that started the problem in the first place, how would more guns solve it?

• Brohoof 1

It mainly seems to be guns that cause problems in the United States, yet people seem to think that having more guns will solve the problem.

It was guns that started the problem in the first place, how would more guns solve it?

Agree with this 120%

It's all a vicious circle when you think about it.

'WE NEED GUNS, IT'S OUR CIVIL RIGHTS!'

'PEOPLE ARE KILLING OTHERS WITH GUNS, WE MUST BAN GUNS!'

'BUT WE NEED GUNS TO DEFEND OURSELVES AGAINST THE CRAZIES WITH THE GUNS!'

and repeat.

• Brohoof 1

THIS HAPPENED AT MY HOMETOWN! It was all over the news! I know this won't happen at any other Batman showings, but I'm still scared to watch the movie because of this!

(edited)

Mere words are not good enough to express how horrifying this tragedy is. My thoughts and prayers go out to those whose lives were devastated by this madman.

To everyone participating in this thread, I think that we should keep in mind that this thread is not about gun control or any other political or social concern. This thread is to discuss the tragedy that occurred. If you would like to debate gun control, then you can create a new thread for that purpose. Please try to keep the discussion here civil. Thank you. :)

There is nothing wrong with sharing your views on the topic of gun control in a single post in this thread but a back and forth debate is highly unnecessary.

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 2

It's kinda ironic how the film is about some anarchist who wants to wreak havoc on people, and then this happens at the premiere. Thoughts with the families of those dead.

(edited)

It's kinda ironic how the film is about some anarchist who wants to wreak havoc on people, and then this happens at the premiere. Thoughts with the families of those dead.

I head the shooter was trying to look like "the joker". Not that it matters but its pretty twisted. Let us mourn today for those who's lives were lost, and their loved ones who will never forget....

Edited by My little pwny

(edited)
The idea that someone with a gun could have stopped the shooter is absurd. He was wearing a gas mask, riot helmet, and a bullet proof vest. He also threw tear gas into the theater. A civilian that has only basic training in fire arms could have caused more harm than good, possibly shooting fleeing civilians themselves. Edited by Pinkie Pie

(edited)

I agree, they should skip guns altogether and introduce predator drones for general consumption. Get with the times, as they say.

Condolences to the victims

Edited by Whiteshade

The idea that someone with a gun could have stopped the shooter is absurd. He was wearing a gas mask, riot helmet, and a bullet proof vest. He also threw tear gas into the theater. A civilian that has only basic training in fire arms could have caused more harm than good, possibly shooting fleeing civilians themselves.

Yeah, but if the guy goes so far as to get riot gear and tear gas, you can bet gun regulation wouldn't have stopped him from getting guns. You can't exactly go grab a 6 pack of tear gas grenades from the local hardware store.

(edited)

:( That's is so sad. Especially that 3 month old that got shot.

The world is a cruel place indeed. That gunman should get life sentence. :ph34r:

...Let's see here.

Clostridium botulinum looks interesting. Paralysis and death due to neurotoxins. Always a favorite. Bacillus anthracis is easy to find, quite deadly and is a pain to get rid of. Very efficient. Streptococcus pyogenes is also a fun little thing. Known for causing that flesh eating disease. Quite torturing.

I'm pretty sure I have more bacteria in my school notes here. I'm taking a biotech program in College (Cegep to be more precise). Includes Microorganism study. FASCINATING stuff. ^_^

Edited by Xidphel
  • Brohoof 1

A civilian that has only basic training in fire arms could have caused more harm than good, possibly shooting fleeing civilians themselves.

A person who had no training in firearms would say that.

I think this guy is far too cunning to be a psychomaniac.

His apartment is rigged with an elaborate explosive system.

He knew what he was doing.

I kind of ate that what he's going to get is a painless needle death or life with three meals a day and a place to sleep. :/

The justice system has to be the better man, because cruel and unusual punishment is inhumane.

Do you think this man bat an eye shooting women and children?

I dunno...

We can all agree that this was a very tragic event that shouldn't have happened.

• Brohoof 1

https://twitter.com/JessicaRedfield

A victim's twitter account. Her last tweet was about 20 minutes before she died, and if you read more of her tweets she was going to be a grandmother soon and a whole bunch of other events were about to happen. Awfully thought provoking, in my opinion.

I found out about an hour ago that she had narrowly avoided a shooting at a Toronto Mall several weeks ago. Hearing coincidences like that always spook me.