Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Writers, I NEED YOUR HELP!

TheBronyHeart

I have always loved writing even as a little kid, and i would really appreciate any advice from any of the amazing fan fic authors ive seen out there. It can be about any thing, side notes, tips or even ideas for a story THANKS /)

Well, I may not be a fanfiction writer, but I do know a bit about writing. Try to be descriptive, but don't dwell on ever little detail. Make an outline. It helps organize your thoughts. Plan what it is you are going to write about. Try to avoid writing yourself into a corner. Tap into your creativity. Make notes as you write, in case something pops into you head but there isn't a place for it yet.

• Brohoof 1

I like to keep a mental timeline of the events of my story as I play them out on paper. Make sure to always know where the story is going and how you plan to end it while remaining as descriptive and entrancing as possible.

• Brohoof 1

I'm with Coeus. Some writers like to pour a lot of detail into their works, and that tends to make it read like a lab manual. Usually, I tell people that submit works to me to try to find their 'original spin'. It's hard, especially in fanfiction, to create an original universe that actually works with the background perceptions of the base piece. Take the time to figure out what qualities as a writer set you apart from the herd. In addition, try to make sure you have a solid idea that will set your work apart from the other fanfics out there.

• Brohoof 2

Great stories are great because they have great characters. Fan fiction can throw a wrench in the works, since it requires that the writer find a balance between homage and new inspiration based on somebody else's creation. In this regard, OCs are arguably easier to flesh out, because the writer is operating under fewer constraints.

Still...if you take the time to thoroughly flesh out your characters, then you will find it much easier to weave them into the themes, moods and settings that will serve as the backdrop for their performance.

• Brohoof 1

Great stories are great because they have great characters. Fan fiction can throw a wrench in the works, since it requires that the writer find a balance between homage and new inspiration based on somebody else's creation. In this regard, OCs are arguably easier to flesh out, because the writer is operating under fewer constraints.

Still...if you take the time to thoroughly flesh out your characters, then you will find it much easier to weave them into the themes, moods and settings that will serve as the backdrop for their performance.

On the subject of OC's would you mind reviewing the idea behind my OC for the RP section.. it is also the same material i was going to use in my work, thanks.

http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/discere-r1102

In my limited experience, you can jump right into righting but research is needed to make sure that the whole story doesn't go too alien than what it is established in the show. If you take the time to watch a few episodes before writing it might get you into the mind set you need to write a good fan fiction.

Once you get started, take reviews when you can, ignore the outright insulting and not constructive to your goal of your story. For me each chapter I do, I plan ahead a few chapters at least unless something comes to my attention that I need to focus on for more development or better climax of a story arc.

Just my 2 bits.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Read about techniques for structure from sentence level to the whole story. With those techniques in mind, read other books and see if they implement them and how successfully you think they do so. With enough analytical reading of other's works, you can practice the techniques you learned in your own writings. With the awareness of what you are trying to do, you can improve it through practice.

I find this is a better approach to learning to write than by just hitting the keyboard and writing what you can. Do that to gauge where you are at, but the saying 'practice makes perfect' isn't entirely true. 'Perfect practice makes perfect.' You don't want to make the same mistakes so consistently that you begin to believe it is simply part of your 'style.'

Edited by Hat988
  • Brohoof 1

Another thing is, once you get going, to post your work and seek critiques. It's kind of hard to give advice in advance. It's much easier to provide direction once you establish your base.

1. Pay attention to spelling and grammer. 2. Don't have a giant wall of text, nobody likes reading those. 3. Avoid too much 'telling,' as in just saying what they're doing. Get into their head and elaborate.