Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are There So Many Pegasi OCs?

Brook

Obvious answer is because you can fly.

I mean hell who here doesn't want to fly?

Though I prefer the Unicorn, in the end i like to stick with the earth pony.

Because they have to work the most for what they want.

• Brohoof 1

Because pegasi are cooler. 20% cooler to be precise. I even made another OC who's an earth pony and I gave him artificial wings so he's basically a pegasus.

Well my "sona" is pegasus, but that's just cause that's how I feel more like.

(does that count as OC? it's not a character or anything, It's just how I designed myself)

My OC is a cockatrice with a taco head:

Posted Image

I think pegasi are popular because everyone wants to be able to fly. Even I had to choose a monster with wings. ^_^

• Brohoof 3

My OC is a pegasus because flying kinda reflects how I want to aim high with my life.

He's a bit cautious about flying though due to a lack of confidence in his flying ability, much like my current lack of confidence in achieving what I want.

I basically wrote my OC to be an accurate representation of myself, not just physically, but also mentally. :)

Let's see, Evolution was unkind enough to not allow humans to fly, so being a Pegasi, you are a natural flyer, so therefore it is the reason for the amount of Pegasus OCs, I'd choose flying over magic any day!

Because they are not strong enough for magic.

Unicorns are master race, and everyone knows that.

That's why my OC is a unicorn. And I can make fake wings to fly, like Twilight did on Rarity.

Because they are not strong enough for magic.

Unicorns are master race, and everyone knows that.

That's why my OC is a unicorn. And I can make fake wings to fly, like Twilight did on Rarity.

If that unicorn is skilled in magic to cast the spell correctly or it would fail and something horrible might happen.

Let's see, Evolution was unkind enough to not allow humans to fly, so being a Pegasi, you are a natural flyer, so therefore it is the reason for the amount of Pegasus OCs, I'd choose flying over magic any day!

That's why many people go with Pegasi because of them able to fly or stand and use clouds. For some it allows them to be in the heavens than being on the ground in real life.

(edited)

What are pegasi good at? Speed! Agility! Flying! Yeah!

What are unicorns good at? Magic! Spells! Maybe melee combat if you risk your horn!

What are earth ponies good at? Strength! Endurance! industry!

Looking at it, you can do -everything- as a unicorn. Of course, not every unicorn is going to be as adept as Twilight Sparkle, but might be good at one or two spells like Rarity. Pegasi would be a lot of fun to be though. Think about that! Just flying around without a care in the world, like an eagle. You could go nearly anywhere at any time! Sure, you have no magic, and you're physically weak, but you can freakin' fly, man!

Poor Earth ponies though. No magic, no flight. However, they can be insanely strong (Think of those four Earth stallions that were pulling a train.) and insanely adaptive. Pegasi are also pretty adaptive, but once something takes away their flight (a bad storm? magic?), they're very weak and fragile. If something damages a unicorn's horn, or takes away their magical ability...they're also kinda weak. Earth ponies, however, wouldn't be disabled unless you ruined their bodies. They'd basically be dead anyway by that time, so Earth ponies kinda win on that.

tl;dr: Pegasi are fun! Unicorns are handy! Earth ponies are strong! So who wouldn't wanna be fun?

Edited by Nanniro
  • Brohoof 1

Because everyone wants to be a potential partner for Fluttershy.

(My avatar is all I've drawn of myself ponyfied, so there's still time for it to be either a pegasus or earth pony.)

(edited)

Most OCs are Pegasus because flying is freedom. Its the feeling of utter mobility, master of your own fate, wind born freedom and the ability to sleep in the fluffy softness of any cloud you find.

When you think of it...who wouldn't want that?

Now me, i would trade wings for a useful power. Telekinesis and magic ability make a dramatic combination. Yeah I may be a ground-pounder but life in the clouds isn't everything. For some reason I always tread the path less traveled. Unicorns appeal to me.

Edited by Silverhoof

• 7 years later...

Pegasi are overall just a very fascinating type of pony. And they are such a simple concept too; ponies with wings. So it's not hard to see why so many people would like them(including me), especially with what the show has established about them.

Along with the overarching awesomeness of the Pegasi, people just wish to fly. Especially  me being a huge fan of coasters, flying seems so amazing. Maybe its not the flight but just the wing too. Having wings in it of itself would be really cool. Having nice soft feathers at your sides just ready to be used to soar through the sky. It sounds amazing! And like I previously mentioned, the show has given Pegasi some cool traits along with their flight. Some examples are being able to control the weather and being able to walk upon clouds.

And yes, there probably are people who create their ocs as Pegasi because they like Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy and want to be like them. There is nothing wrong with that per say, but it does sound a bit tacky. Stepping away from the actual skill set of the Pegasi and looking at their perception in the fandom can also give a reason. Some people don't want to be super powerful like the Unicorns, but they also don't want to be seemingly under-powered like the Earth Ponies. So they choose to be a Pegasus because they are right there in the middle. So overall it makes sense why Pegasus ocs are popular.

All this being said, I don't think they are the most popular oc type anymore. It is true that back in 2012 when this thread was created they were, but now it seems that they have been overtaken by the Unicorns. Most polls I see online discussing the question show that Unicorns are the most popular ocs. This could be due to a combination of things. Maybe because Pegasi were so popular they were seen as overrated and people didn't want to make them anymore. And even more likely is the huge buffs they have been getting as the show went on. They kept getting more and more powerful and people saw this and wanted it. This is just something I've noticed.

But going back to the original question; Pegasi are just downright awesome and there's no doubt about it.

I would say it's because humans evolutionaryly envy flying since the dawn of time. It's in the majority of people's veins.

My changeling's ponisona ponisona is an earth pony though, because earth ponies are always secretly angry, bitter and full of everyone's shenanigans.

Edited by Ittoni

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, fare67t said:

Too many Pegasi OCs?

Pffft, honey, wake up and smell the roses.

...clearly its Bat Ponies that have become an infestation in this fandom :eww:

I agree! 

I kinda hate pegasus OCs because you have to draw the wings, either obscuring the cute mark (which is a big part of an OC's design), or do a wing boner drawing where you choose either the blown-up glove style, or the very detailed fussy angel wing style. Also the size of the wings are difficult to choose as well.

So why people choose pegasi for their OC, is probably because they want the ability to fly. Oh, and also... Rainbow Dash is popular.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Booker said:

Probably because pegasi have the coolest design.

Yeah sure, just copy and paste a pair of wings onto an Earth Pony

Bam, 99.9% of pegasi described successfully! B)

But no really, Bat Ponies are the new infestation of the fandom...pegasi are still up there though~

• 2 months later...

My OC's an Earth Pony, so I don't know much but...I think Pegasi are just the second-most aesthetically pleasing race, after Alicorns. They have this elegance about them that can't be achieved without having wings:mlp_smug:

• Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...