Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why haven't Applejack's parents been shown?

Guest 3p1c d3m0n

They should be dead, I think it might add some depth to Applejack's attributes like being a hardworking pony - she's had to help with the farming since she was little filly, and having such a strong bond (or bonding? yup, that's my amazing English) with her siblings (at least I think she does) because they had to stick together after losing parents.

• Brohoof 2

They should be dead, I think it might add some depth to Applejack's attributes like being a hardworking pony - she's had to help with the farming since she was little filly, and having such a strong bond (or bonding? yup, that's my amazing English) with her siblings (at least I think she does) because they had to stick together after losing parents.

as much as I kind of agree, that will never pass and honestly should not pass, remember it's a kids show and as Lauren Faust said there is almost no possibility for that to be approved, guys I know we want these crazy plot lines, but I'm sure there are younger kids watching this and the show should not be ruined for them ^_^

Was there any sign of the parents at the reunion at Sweet Apple Acres,,during season 1 episode one?

Never thought of that! Maybe!

I smell.... A CONSPIRACY

as much as I kind of agree, that will never pass and honestly should not pass, remember it's a kids show and as Lauren Faust said there is almost no possibility for that to be approved, guys I know we want these crazy plot lines, but I'm sure there are younger kids watching this and the show should not be ruined for them ^_^

I actually disagree with you about how it should not pass. I think it is important for children to be aware of death, I mean just because it's sad it doesn't mean that we should shelter kids from it. Death is a reality and there are some kids whose parents have died too. Maybe kids would be able to relate to Applejack and Big Macintosh and Applebloom if they saw that their parents were dead, too. Plus it would add a lot of depth to their characters and it could be really interesting.

I remember an episode of Hey Arnold! where Arnold's grandpa I think was telling Arnold the story about his parents and how they were explorers and they could never be found or something. I don't think they outright mention that they died, but it seemed hiiiighly unlikely that they survived.

As for the head honchos allowing Applejack's parents to be dead, I think you're right that they most likely wouldn't allow it, at least not as a TV show. Unfortunately there are a lot of soccer moms out there who get their panties in a bunch anytime they see something on TV that their kids are watching that they don't like. I think if there was going to be an MLP movie though they could get away with death. I mean people die in kids' movies all the time.

• Brohoof 2

You know, as much as it would be sad having her parents be dead, I think it would possibly be helpful to any of the children who watch the show whose parents, or loved ones, have passed away. I think it could be handled well in a heartwarming way that might make some children feel better and less alone about their situation. And it could also help kids who are wondering about how to talk to other kid's who have people close to them pass away. I knew kids who had lost their parents and other family members and it was always hard thinking about what to say.

Just my two cents.

• Brohoof 2

It would be tough but is has been done, Disney is famous for killing parents (Bambi, Lion King, Little Mermaid; Ariel's beginning, Lilo and Stitch, Finding Nemo, Fox and the Hound etc) and kids have kept watching. I don't know where a reference to this is right now but I can look, but when Mr. Hooper? died on Sesame Street, they had a special episode out to talk about it but aired a warning to parents beforehand so they could watch it with their kids.

• Brohoof 3

I go by the theory that Applejack was born from an apple tree and so was the rest of the family, so technically her parents are trees and are in some way related to Fluttershy and Gummy

• Brohoof 1

I go by the theory that Applejack was born from an apple tree and so was the rest of the family, so technically her parents are trees and are in some way related to Fluttershy and Gummy

Your avatar and the fact that I finally finished reading through the Pinkie Pie character analysis thread made me lol XD

You know, as much as it would be sad having her parents be dead, I think it would possibly be helpful to any of the children who watch the show whose parents, or loved ones, have passed away. I think it could be handled well in a heartwarming way that might make some children feel better and less alone about their situation. And it could also help kids who are wondering about how to talk to other kid's who have people close to them pass away. I knew kids who had lost their parents and other family members and it was always hard thinking about what to say.

Just my two cents.

My sentiments exactly. I also believe that there could be an extremely positive way to tackle the issue without making it too depressing. I was lurking in some other thread that people like this show because it makes people happy. I think it's possible to make something like this, in the end, happy. It would be difficult to write, but the writers could do it.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Well I was lurking (stalking xD) through Fyre-Flyes (Lauren Faust) account and saw this

Q: Where are Applejack's parents?

To put it bluntly, we just never figured it out. I just liked the feeling of them living with their Granny, but keeping the family dynamic tight and small. To be honest, I would like to simply say that they passed away somehow, but

it's justit would have likely been deemed

too sad for a kids' show and I don't think it would have ever been approved. There was brief discussion of them being traveling salesponies or explorers, but since we never needed the information in an episode, nothing was ever made official. So it will have to remain a mystery until someone decides to define it.

Passed on parents really would be a rather harsh topic to explore in ponies, so the whole traveling salesmen idea works quite well. Better yet just continue never mentioning them, as us more 'mature' fans can pretty much assume that they've passed away.

But it's also true that they never really show the other ponies parents, however with Applejack it just seems different since their family relationship is so tight. Especially once you bring in Apple Bloom.

Edited by Demi
  • Brohoof 2

Why just applejack? Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie havent has their parent shown either

Passed on parents really would be a rather harsh topic to explore in ponies, so the whole traveling salesmen idea works quite well. Better yet just continue never mentioning them, as us more 'mature' fans can pretty much assume that they've passed away.

But it's also true that they never really show the other ponies parents, however with Applejack it just seems different since their family relationship is so tight. Especially once you bring in Apple Bloom.

Speaking of parents, where are RD and Fluttershy's parents?

Okay, they all seem to be missing parents, except for some rare exceptions (Cutie Mark Chronicles, and Rarity's Parents).

I have an idea. If you look at their technology, recently we saw lamps, and hospital intercom tech. and machines and such, I think 1940's is a safe bet.

If you look at their society, they're all very close together, with little contention; they're united.

I think they just got over a world war, or a second one, or a third one. If you think about it, it matches perfectly.

There are griffons, but they hardly ever appear, except for once, a single griffon entered the show. Clearly, it was a world war with the Griffons, and they drove them to near extinction, and all the ponies in the age range that could serve in the military at the time (the generation of the current generations' parents), they all seem to be missing. Clearly, millions dead in a huge world war.

It all lines up XD

EDIT:

Better yet, the Pegasi are the soldiers, remember? Neither Rainbow Dash nor FlutterShy's parents have ever made any appearence, and they attended a board-school like Flight School as fillies!

Oh my gosh! It's so clear! After the huge world war, with so many orphans, they had to open schools for the population hit the hardest: Pegasi, schools that act as orphanages!

And that's why the whole society is so well off! It's over, after suffering through it, they're all so well united. It's like the USA 10 years after WW2, except there isn't a cold war.

EDIT2:

That also explains why over half the students we know from the flight school, the bullies and Gilda, are jerks. They're emotionally torn because of their past.

But Celestia, in her kind grace, opened the doors of the flight school even to the children of their former enemies...

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

Speaking of parents, where are RD and Fluttershy's parents?

Traveling.

But really that's a good question, maybe they should have a Bring Your Parents to Ponyville Day episode. If most of them are alive, granted.

• Brohoof 1

I just want to see scootaloo and rainbow dash' parents

Maybe we'll see Fluttershy's parents in the "Iron Will" episode? You know the one that's scheduled to air on March 3rd.

• Brohoof 2

So we have seen Rarity's parents, Twilight's parents, and Pinkie Pie's parents, at some point in the series albeit very briefly. Perhaps when the story calls for it, we will see the others' parents sometime down the road. The possibilities for the parents are quite vast.

Edited by Broseph Stallion

Maybe her mom got pregnant at a young age, dumped her, Big Mac and Applebloom off with Granny Smith "just until she could get her life together" and never returned, save for the odd Christmas visit or to stop by to say "hello" and grab Granny Smith's money.

That or else my vote is on them being apple business ponies who are frequently away on business trips overseas to sell apples to foreign ponies. Granny Smith watched the kids while mom and dad were away and since she's getting old, she turned over running of the farm to Applejack and Big Macintosh. Apple Bloom doesn't yet know it but she will one day be the overseas sales rep for Sweet Apple Acres.

Those are just my theories but I think it make sense as far as Applejack's take charge, responsible, motherly attitude :huh:

This theory is best thoery. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

uhh, no. they just haven't shown them, and perhaps they were on vacation when she left? I dunno :P but an orphan seems too serious for a show like this.

Maybe, but we have guns, mating, and death off screen...

and whoops Necroreply lol

Edited by Skar