Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why haven't Applejack's parents been shown?

Guest 3p1c d3m0n

It was never confirmed in the show they're dead.

I don't know if, in a kids show, death can be mentioned.

If not, maybe it will be implicit (and then the shooting stars really represent her parents).

It was never confirmed in the show they're dead.

I don't know if, in a kids show, death can be mentioned.

If not, maybe it will be implicit (and then the shooting stars really represent her parents).

The series has been going on for at least a year in their time with no mention of the living parents.

Spike tries to use a toy mouse with fake blood to frame the owl for murder. Sweetie Belle in Heart and Hooves while singing interrupts a funeral. Chimera was talking about killing Applebloom and eating her. Fluttershy freaking out when the Phoenix fakes its own death as a joke. The Teen Dragons wanted Spike to smash the egg killing the baby phoenix. Sunset was using magic to kill Twilight and co. in the EG movie.

Edited by Singe

They're dead. The series has been going on for at least a year in their time with no mention of the living parents.

Sweetie Belle in Heart and Hooves while singing interrupts a funeral. Chimera was talking about killing Applebloom and eating her. Fluttershy freaking out when the Phoenix fakes its own death as a joke. The Teen Dragons wanted Spike to smash the egg killing the baby phoenix. Sunset was using magic to kill Twilight and co. in the EG movie.

I forgot about all that, you're right. ;)

I read Sibsy's tweet just to be sure, and yeah they're dead. :(

Twilight : No known parents.

Pinkie : Family known.

Rainbow Dash : No family known.

Fluttershy : No family known.

Rarity : No known parents.

AppleJack : No parents known.

It's a bit of a thing here. Why does everyone focus on AppleJack? Why not RD? Most of the Mane 6 don't have a family that we know of, and Pinkie Pie's the only pony with an entire family shown.

It's a bit of a thing here. Why does everyone focus on AppleJack? Why not RD? Most of the Mane 6 don't have a family that we know of, and Pinkie Pie's the only pony with an entire family shown.

Twilight's parents last appeared in a cameo at Shining Armor's wedding and they were in Twilight's story of how she got her Cutie Mark.

Rarity's parents appeared in the Sister Hooves Social.

Dude, where have you been?!

Twilight's parents have appeared thrice (though the third time is iffy because it was recycled footage), Rarity's parents were in Sisterhooves Social (with Dad making a cameo in One Bad Apple), and we've seen Dash's father (affectionately known as Rainbow Dad) in Games Ponies Play.

Yeesh! Someone hasn't been paying much attention or hasn't watched very many episodes.

Twilight's parents have made appearances in three separate episodes. Rarity's parents visit her to drop off Sweetie Belle before a vacation in Sisterhooves Social. And two ponies who are presumably Rainbow Dash's parents are seen with her in a flashback in Games Ponies Play.

Fluttershy is the only pony who has never had any details about even a single family member mentioned in the whole show.

Fluttershy is the only pony who has never had any details about even a single family member mentioned in the whole show.

If I were to guess a possible storyline for Flutter's parents, it would be that they sent her to camp to try and be a better flyer because having a good flyer was important to them.

After FS discovered her love of the ground during that time and wrote them she was going to live down there from now on, her and FS' folks had a falling out and they pretty much disowned her, which is why they've never been seen during her visits to Cloudsdale.  :(

That those are definitively Applejack's parents is never directly stated in the show, that was Twitter chatter from some of the show staff. To me, it's only a theory until it's proven. I'll take it as legitimate, but not fact until either Applejack's parents being dead is actually stated in fact or the show ends without giving more on this.

If you can believe this beyond all doubt, then you're welcome to it.

I think that if it *cant* be shown because of Standards and Practices and is otherwise confirmed by show staff, I would take it as canon unless directly contradicted by the show itself. Applying the usual standard in this case is unfair IMO because meeting it is impossible.

• 2 years later...

Well they could be shown in the future because the recent episode Flutter Brutter you get to see her parents. We just haven't seen Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash's parents yet. Maybe they passed away. But at least Applejack is not alone.

.I'm not really sure... Hmmm...., IDK

Applejack's parents are actually dead I know that sounds terrible, but back in the episode of the family reunion you can see 2 stars fly by in the ending when the camera pans out showing the farm which was confirmed by Sabrina Alberghetti so they are deceased and will not be shown unless their ghost or a flashback is shown you can find the information on them by clicking this link http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Family_and_relatives.

• Brohoof 1

In Crusaders of the Lost Mark AJ also said to AB

Oh, sugarcube, if Mom and Dad were here, they'd be so proud of ya.

Tough that could also mean they aren't in Ponyville. But a family reunion without there parents and as above said, they seem beeing dead.

In Crusaders of the Lost Mark AJ also said to AB

Oh, sugarcube, if Mom and Dad were here, they'd be so proud of ya.

Tough that could also mean they aren't in Ponyville. But a family reunion without there parents and as above said, they seem beeing dead.

Yeah.  It seems like a lot of the fandom seems to be forgetting that that line happened.  I take that line as proof that they're dead.  No one would talk like that about living parents.  If they were just living somewhere else, AJ would have said something like, "Oh, sugarcube, just wait until mom and dad see you.  They'll be so proud."  I'm sure they weren't going for a Lisa's Wedding joke:  "Oh, Lisa, that's great news!  If only your father were still with us....but he left for work a few minutes ago."

I for one would love to see their parents in a flashback episode.  It seemed they were already gone when AJ was a filly, though. (Cutie Mark Chronicles)  That's weird....I mean, they must have died immediately after Applebloom was born, which couldn't have been long before Cutie Mark Chronicles.  Anyway, instead of total rickalling characters that clearly don't exist (Zephyr), why not do a flashback episode to fill in the story on characters that we know existed!

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

In one of the episodes where Apple Bloom gets her cutie mark Applejack says "If mom an dad were here they'd be so proud of ya."

In one of the episodes where Apple Bloom gets her cutie mark Applejack says "If mom an dad were here they'd be so proud of ya."

Well from what I know

AJ's Parents are actually cannon.  (Sibsy confirmed it back in Apple Family Reunion with the shooting stars)

But. We don't necessarily know if her parents are "dead"

because the word dead can't be used in a TV-Y show

If Sesame Street can handle the topic of death, then there's no reason why this show can't.

I agree, especially as I was a kid when Mr. Hooper died. Of course Mr. Hooper was a character that dies years into the shows run. Ma and Pa Apple died years before the FiM started. There is something to be said by not directly tackling it. It feels somehow poetic. Life goes on, and we carry on your name by being the best we can be.

You don't have to have that carved in stone to see the message. Narratives that spell everything out tend to be lazy ... as if they don't trust the viewer to be a collaborator.

I'm the biggest proponent of the 'parents as dead' concept ... but I'm OK with leaving it with how they left it with Crusaders.

• Brohoof 1

I agree, especially as I was a kid when Mr. Hooper died. Of course Mr. Hooper was a character that dies years into the shows run. Ma and Pa Apple died years before the FiM started. There is something to be said by not directly tackling it. It feels somehow poetic. Life goes on, and we carry on your name by being the best we can be.

You don't have to have that carved in stone to see the message. Narratives that spell everything out tend to be lazy ... as if they don't trust the viewer to be a collaborator.

I'm the biggest proponent of the 'parents as dead' concept ... but I'm OK with leaving it with how they left it with Crusaders.

Slightly off topic, but they showed that episode recently, when my own kid was watching it. I saw a rerun of it myself when I was younger. It felt oddly... nice? I don't know how to explain it.

I think, overall, I'm ruined by other shows. Sure, MLP is technically aimed at a younger demographic, but at the same time, we have other shows that are in the same age demographic but on different channels. Technically, CN is aimed at boys 6-11 while Hasbro sets their sights on girls in the same age range. Yet, Steven Universe (accepted by CN on their regular viewing block, so same age demo) is more popular with girls than it is with boys (based on surveys) and being that they are in the same age demographic, it's not unreasonable to want more... 'mature' topics to be covered.

I'm not talking about killing off characters on a regular basis or employing the idea of an apocalypse. Hell, I certainly didn't mind that AJ's parents were more symbolic than anything. But I do find it interesting that SU tends to capture my daughter's attention than MLP does, despite the concept of death and love tend to be some of the main points in that show.

And besides, if G1 handled darker topics (like death and body horror), why can't G4? xP

• 4 years later...