Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you consider yourself an emotional person?

BMO

I want to think of myself as an emotional person, but to be totally honest, I don't think I'm really that emotional. I feel like despite the fact I don't want to be afraid of my emotions and such I still am afraid to show them alot of times just out of habit and such forced by society.

I really kinda wish I was more emotional alot of times.

That depends on the situation, yes I am not afraid to show my emotions or how I feel about something in general but I don't usually tear up or get emotional about sad moments in shows, movies or video games with some exceptions of course. But I often see depressing things in the news and it can tear me up inside sometimes, I really can't stand seeing anyone suffer even if I don't know the person. My mother taught me perhaps too well that if you think something is wrong then you have to speak and try to do something about it, this something might not be much and it might seem insignificant but every little bit matters.

I am a highly emotional person.  I cry all the time.  Happy things.  Sad things.  Real things.  Fictional things.  However, I do not really cry in front of other people.  I have always considered it to be a personal thing.  Kind of like using the restroom.  I don't want people to watch me do it.

Now that I think about, I don't know. I don't get very emotional for the most part and I show even less. If we're talking sad scenes in movies or books etc, not many have moved me to tears. If we're talking sad moments in life, like a death in the family, I tend to bottle all those up and just force myself to move on. Of course all of that gets released somewhere down the line but that's future Cota's problem. I guess I kind of am an emotional person.

I do, but i don't

If someone is making front of me, like a family member or something i wont.

But if its someone publicly ill punch them in the face ill probably start to tear up.

Does reading My Little Dashie count? I cried 5 times. 

I almost got dehydrated from losing so much tears.

Edited by KToadstool

I'm actually a very logical person, but my emotions often refuse to listen to my logic. :B I tend to get upset easily, and let it cloud my judgement if I feel bad enough. Normally I have to fight some of my uglier emotions with logic... 

Though I am very easily excitable and usually don't have a problem with showing my enthusiasm. So I guess I am pretty emotional.

I consider myself a emotional person. Especially when I play my vidgima games. I feel as I can connect or relate to the characters. Also music really affects my mood positively, listen to music all the time mostly.

I'm a big teddy bear. People see me as the athlete and chill guy who's always so collected and all but inside I'm really, really emotional. Almost every decision I make is at least somewhat swayed by my emotions (for better or for worse) and I really care deeply about alot of things. Music has a way to really get to me, too. 

Edited by Twiliscael

Indeed I do. I am probably overly emotional. I am a very sensitive person so many things tend to bother me or make me emotional easy. I also tend to have random emotional breakdowns or just random crying moments. I get depressed VERY easily so I suppose I am very vulnerable. I tend to bottle these feelings up if anyone else is around, then release them when I am alone. Luckily I am doing a tiny bit more to stay in a positive mood lately, but I still find myself randomly crying over different things when I am alone and usually at night. I am unashamed.

I'm emotionally-challenged.

I'm just not much of a touchy-feely guy. Feelings and emotions don't really have an impact on me. I look at life, people, situations objectively. Over the years I've realized that my emotions cloud my judgement, and make things worse, so I just kind of discarded them. If all emotions do is make my problems worse, then why have them?

Sometimes I'll feel emotion, but it's never very intense, and it kind of bubbles up from time to time. Usually, I'll just take a deep breath, take a step back and rationalize what's going on, and I'll pick myself back up.

I'm not really impacted by other people's emotions either to be honest. If somebody's crying, I'm not gonna cry with them, I'm gonna try to gather information and solve their problem. It doesn't matter how I feel, what matters is accessing and addressing the problem.

I have always thought of myself as a highly empathetic person.  As a child, I can recall needing to turn off the television when characters were going through emotional ordeals such as being humiliated.  Even now I sometimes react with the "wrong" emotion to movies and TV shows, because I am connecting to how the character feels.  There might be a scene that is intended to be funny due to a character's over-the-top emotional reaction to a situation.  But instead of finding it amusing, I feel sad for the character.  This will even happen when I am watching an absurd parody.

I don't usually get emotional to the point of crying, but I can get teary eyed so I consider myself fairly emotional. I can even get teary eyed if I think of something sad for long enough. In public though I try and keep it under control. I'm empathetic too, so shows like MLP etc...give me so many feels. 

Very much so. For a guy I'm pretty emotional. Now, they aren't always physically visible, but inside my head is a typhoon of feels, all the time.

Same here. This basically sums it up. 

I used to be emotional, but I've become quite jaded and cynical. I usually am in a state of apathetic sarcasm. However, just yesterday I saw Snowdrop, and damn, I was so touched! blush.png So yeah, I have my moments of high emotions, but normally I hover at neutral. I'm rarely upset/sad, but also rarely giddy/joyful. I think that people who are overly emotional lose the true meaning of emotions. Overusing them devalues them.

• 8 months later...

I have what is often termed "Borderline Personality Disorder", also known as "Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, or BPD.
Because of this, I'm prone to experiencing emotions (especially negative ones) a lot more deeply, and for longer periods of time than "normal people".
So, I guess you could say that I'm almost too emotional.
I cry 3-4 times a week, and, for the majority of the time, I don't really know why I'm crying in the first place. It's a personality type that screws with your emotional side, interpersonal relationships, and self-perception.
Also, to close this off, and just to remind people, self-harm is almost *never* an attention-whoring tool. It's an actual, working method to either relieve psychological pain, or to force yourself to feel something at times when you're so emotionally and physically numb that you can't feel *anything*. I'm not saying it's the best possible method, but it works.
Believe me, I'd rather nobody harm themselves.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

I consider myself super emotional. My feelings always come before rational thought and I am just sensitive in general. I tend to question whether I should change or not, but to tell the truth. I like being emotional. It's strange, but feels welcoming.

• Brohoof 1

I'm both significantly less sensitive and less expressive than others. The upside is that, because I don't display otherwise, it's assumed that I'm always comfortable, problem-free, and social whether I'm at work or in a social group.

I'm a strong introvert who grew up with near-debilitating anxiety that led me to a life of solitary pursuits and behaviors, so over the last 4-5 years of recovery it's been a treat to be assumed to be the opposite by people who don't know me well. An assignment for one of my courses involved perception-checking with those around me through gathering lists of descriptive terms, and for me my manager chose ones like friendly, helpful, and funny, without the inclusion of even innocent terms that showed my true disposition (and we talk quite a bit). I'm the joker at work who can easily put nervous ESL students at ease. I'm the assumed extrovert with good social skills in a group of introverts who openly complain about their problems with anxiety simply because I rarely contribute my own negative feelings and struggles, not because they've ever seen me in a real public setting or heard about my own social life.

I think I've come to prefer the company of close friends even more strongly because I don't need to say "I'm feeling x because of y" or have watery eyes for them to know what I'm feeling or pick up on what's going on with me. Talking about my life and feelings to anyone else is so open and detailed as to be almost obscene.

Edited by Cygnus
  • Brohoof 1

I don't call myself a "walking emotional disaster pile" for nothing. Well, you've never heard me call myself that until now. But know that it is a title well-deserved! The answer is yes, yes, I do.

My emotions are difficult to control at times, but I exercise excessive restraint of them around strangers. However, on the inside, I'm constantly swilling about with some sort of feeling. My highs and lows both hit me hard. So it's a blessing and a curse. I try not to be so influenced or sensitive to outside people and situations though, and am practicing a way I call "taking things not so seriously." Of course, the fact that I am practicing this tells you that I am indeed quite sensitive to the point of being an issue. So I'm taking steps to resolve that.

I used to be much more emotional when I was younger. Since beginning medication and therapy, my emotions have thankfully become much more easy to handle. Still difficult, still pretty emotional, but to far more balanced levels. I still become tearful when I feel a sudden emotion at somebody/something of sadness, when I see something that hits a nerve or think too much of my past pains. And I become giddy when I'm hyped up about the latest thing (if I am, I'm harder to hype than most people), when somebody is kind to me or I'm kind to them, and especially when I feel confident. Then? I feel like I'm bursting and brimming with unstoppable energy.

The most emotion I feel nowadays is stress/anxiety as opposed to sadness/anger, which I used to feel a lot. That one is the most overpowering and the one I'm working to control. The rest are manageable nowadays for the most part. Just more powerful than normal people.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

In a way, sorta... I know I can be pretty emotional over silly things (if I say something that accidentally makes someone feel even a bit down, I get so fed up and sad with myself about possibly ruining their whole day), and I can see that I'm a lot more sensitive than the people I grew up around have been.

But, for whatever reason, I can feel pretty calm and unemotional with some other things, mainly when I'm meant to feel happiness or joy, or laughter; though it's possible that the causes of these emotions in me are just different to those of other people. And in situations where I should be very worried or sad, I turn out feeling mellow, if anything. It doesn't mean I won't bother to try change the situation and make things happier, but I just don't get hit in the feels like I should be... perhaps that's an advantage, or maybe a curse. =/

Recently, though, my emotions seem to be more noticeable again... I've had situations where I can cry tears of joy (or maybe it's just the eye strain :P), and from d'awwing over how cute something is... but the negative feelings- anger over idiots disrespecting/mistreating those I care about, even hatred towards a person or two- are standing out more as well.

So, I'd say I can be emotional, though not for the same reasons as other people in some ways. I still have some dull feeling within me that limits me from being as emotional as I can be, but it feels like it's ebbing away, gradually, now that I have the confidence and freedom to notice my feelings more... Hopefully they're not as bad as I believe them to be.

• Brohoof 2