Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Born later in the year = Less success

Shankveld

According to some studies :

People born later in the year (mainly after September) will have less success in their adult/teenager life.

The theory states that since they enter into school at the same time Janurary-born children do, they have had less time to develop (since we develop so fast as children, a few months makes a lot of difference). Early-month born are usually picked first for sport teams and excel in most activities such as writing, math and science (since their brains are further developed). This leads to poor self-esteem for the later-month born and in-turn lead them to be less successful in their adult lives.

Thought? ~

Edited by Shankveld

Whoa. I've never heard of that. That makes sense for the earlier years, yes. But I don't think that it would effect things too much later down the road. Maybe just a tad.

...Now that I think of it, I was born earlier in the year (March) and seem... more successful than my sister. Who was born in October. Interesting coincidence, that. She appears to have somewhat poorer self-esteem than me (although mine is pretty poor).

May I ask where you found this? Is there a specific article? I'm interested in seeing.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough

Personally my grades are above average and I find myself to be quite fast learner when it comes to most stuff. I've always been around poeple of atleast one year older than myself. I feel that I'm good at writing and descent at drawing. My self-esteem is non-existing though.

Edited by Lamii

They also say that the number of nugatory scientific studies based upon dodgy theories are on the rise too. :P

The number of factors that determine the outcome of ones life are unbounded, so to suggest that a significant correlation exists between birth time and the degree of prosperity in ones early years, seems a bit excessive to say the least.

I started school a year early, although I managed to keep up with the rest of the cohort with enough effort. Perhaps I'm the anomaly, but I don't believe that a reasonable theory can be drawn simply by analysing a common trend, without accounting for external factors.

Edited by Swoop
  • Brohoof 2

When you are born does not matter one bit on how your brain developes. And just because your brain might be less developed than those of your peers, does not mean you learn any slower than they will. I'd say the largest contributing factor, is how much someone actually wants to learn. Throughout all my years in school, I noticed a clear trend that follows this. Those who were interested in learning, learned well. While those who did not care, often just failed their classes. Of course this pretty much just boils down to genes, and other external factors based on their own life up to that point.

Basically, there is no way to tell whether a child will succeed in life, not until they get to the point where they have.

I dont really think it will have a very huge impact as, in my experience, the seven first years of school are only importang fof laying the first brick. informationwise it is the least important of them all. I for example did terrible those first seven years, having been born in January and all. Mediocre the next five and amazing this year.

I dont think the development of the brain have too much to say for your success later I woukd say: good choises (for example choise of school and classes), ambitions and the will to work hard or the lack of need for hard work. some are more lucky than others.

There are too many variables when I think of it, you parents, your friends, you neighbourhood, you school, you teacher and i could go on and on and on and...

When you are born does not matter one bit on how your brain developes. And just because your brain might be less developed than those of your peers, does not mean you learn any slower than they will. I'd say the largest contributing factor, is how much someone actually wants to learn. Throughout all my years in school, I noticed a clear trend that follows this. Those who were interested in learning, learned well. While those who did not care, often just failed their classes. Of course this pretty much just boils down to genes, and other external factors based on their own life up to that point.

Basically, there is no way to tell whether a child will succeed in life, not until they get to the point where they have.

Hey, can I bold that for you? Completely agree here. There's just so many factors and differences in the way someone will develop, plus the fact that they may or may not want to/care for learning anything, that this generalization doesn't even make sense.

Hmm...

December 15th

Is 20

Lives at home

No job

No school

Meh grades

But on the flip side:

Loves life

Amazing amounts of self esteem, bordering on arrogance

Is really smart, just unorganized (and has ADD), which explains low grades

Loves learning, especially math and science, especially astrophysics and theoretical physics

Got a 30 on the ACT a few months ago

So that study can go suck it.

• Brohoof 1

Born in September;

Excels top of class in writing

I don't quite buy this at all. It makes sense the way they describe but according to them I'm among the least developed.

Then how am I so brilliant (well grades are poor due to laziness, Genius at Birth Slacker by Choice!)

The only reasons I'd have lack of success is because my family's poor and I cannot afford to go to any sort of schooling after High School. Waste of potential! Schools don't know what they're missing!

I was born in september, and I'm one of the better students in my class.

I'm always very fast with my work at almost everything, and learn much faster when compaired to my peers.

Plus I always seem to be the most optimistic and I usually have some of the highest self esteem compaired to a lot of my other peers...

Also, how does just a few months make the difference between success and being unsuccessful, when you look at the scope at how long we live, and how long it takes our brains to develope.

I think your personality and success are based more on your genes amd who you are, rather than if you were born after or in September or not.

Edited by Wonka

It makes sense if you base the topic soley on the 1:1 ratio that age=brain maturity. Now obviously everyone matures at a different pace and can become more intelligent at any age, which is a counter arguement against the studies. Personally I think that the concept can be true, but is no where near 100% accurate.