Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2012 London Summer Olympic Games Thread

Nas

(edited)

Guys. Do you know Canada wins the bronze metal of the olympic games?

Canadian diver Émilie Heymans made history on Sunday, partnering with Jennifer Abel to capture her fourth Olympic medal.

Heymans, of St. Lambert, Que., and Abel, of Laval, Que., earned the bronze medal in the women's synchronized 3m springboard competition. The medal is Canada's first of London 2012.

With the performance, Heymans became the first Canadian summer athlete -- as well as the first female diver -- to win four medals at consecutive Olympic Games.

"We really worked very hard for this. We are really happy that it went very well," Heymans told RDSOlympiques on Sunday.

Heymans earned her first Olympic medal in the 10m synchro event at Sydney 2000. Competing with Anne Montminy, she took silver. In 2004, she added bronze in the same event with Blythe Hartley. Four years ago at Beijing 2008, Heymans won her first individual medal with silver in the women's 10m platform.

Most of Heymans's success has come in the 10m platform events. Following Beijing 2008, Canada's most-decorated diver swapped to the springboard. She partnered with Abel in 2010.

For Abel, 20, and Heymans, 30, the London 2012 turning point occurred in their fourth round of dives. In fourth-place overall with two dives to go, their biggest challenge loomed: the reverse 2.5 somersault.

"This is the one that I can hit for nines, or the one that I can miss," Abel has said of the dive. "I'm pretty sure that if this dive is going to go well, the rest of my dives are going to be good too."

Six points out of a medal position, Abel and Heymans would need to perform the dive well just to catch the field.

They very nearly nailed it.

Heymans over-rotated slightly, causing a slight splash on the entry. But as the scoreboard lit up with 74.70, it became clear that they had done enough.

The Canadian pair edged into third place -- a position they managed to hold over Italians Tania Cagnotto and Francesca Dallape, even through a shaky final dive.

Abel and Heymans began their 2012 season with a silver medal at the 2012 World Cup, but that success did not last. The duo struggled with their consistency for much of the year.

Headed into London, Abel believed they had worked past the trouble.

"We are less nervous, we are having more fun," Abel said. "We're just doing our dives and getting closer to the perfect 10."

Chinese duo Wu Minxia and He Zi were about as close to perfect as possible throughout their own list on Sunday. China has won a medal in every Olympic synchronized springboard competition since the event's induction in 2000.

Wu and He continued the trend, posting a final score of 346.20. The win marked China's sixth of London 2012 and their third in the pool, after two Chinese swimmers picked up Olympic titles on Saturday evening.

Americans Kelci Bryant and Abby Johnson were second with a score of 321.90, while Heymans and Abel racked up 316.80 points of their own, for third.

"Now we feel the pressure has dropped and right now it's a lot of fun," Heymans said. "I'm really pleased to win this medal with Jennifer."

Both divers are scheduled to compete in the individual springboard competition, beginning Friday. They are both considered medal contenders in the event, but Abel is the reigning World bronze medallist.

-CTV Olympics

Edited by Cole The Pony

With all due respect to the Women's Soccer Team, has anyone watched Women's Field Hockey. That a tough looking sport.

On a related note: Team USA is hawt!

• Brohoof 2

Congratulations to the lovely Dana Vollmer on capturing her first Olympic Gold in an individual event, while shattering the previous 100 m. butterfly Olympic and World Record, becoming the first woman to swim the 100 m. butterfly in under 56 seconds at 55.98 sec.'s! You go girl! U.S.A.!!!!!!!!

• Brohoof 2

I usually doesn't watch sport at all, but I must say, the opening cermony for this was AMAZING. A whole town thingy build in a couple of minutes. It's just impossible. Wonderful. AMAZING.

• Brohoof 1

Posted Image

Looks like U.S. sniped Italy, and are tailing China by only one medal.

I usually doesn't watch sport at all, but I must say, the opening cermony for this was AMAZING. A whole town thingy build in a couple of minutes. It's just impossible. Wonderful. AMAZING.

Yep. It was a re-enactment of the Industrial Revolution, one of the greatest movements in mandkind. And Britain was a huge part of it too, ergo the epic performance.

I missed what happened on Sunday, but I'm at work watching the games from my computer, hehe. MSNBC is showing some matches between countries I'm not really interested in, and NBC for the LONGEST time was just repeating some stupid segment of the morning show's hosts in rainbow tracksuits.

I'm probably the only person in history who actually pays attention to Olympic sailing. :D It's a common misconception that sailing is an easy sport. But it actually has the same difficulty as all the other sports. Me knowing firsthand, you have to go through a LOT of training to learn how to make your boat go as fast as it possibly can.

• Brohoof 1

Another day, another medal count recap.

Posted Image

U.S. is on par with China, and France is sneaking up behind the two. Japan has their least amount of medals in gold range, while their most are bronze, and ironically, China has reverse luck.

Results of the Women's Gymnastics Team Finals are in. For those of you who don't want to see them, I'll hide them in this here spoiler bar:

Are ya sure you want to see them?

This is it!!!

No turning back now!!!!!!!

OK, here ya go: Romania came in third with 176.414, Russia came in second with 178.530, and... the United States Women's Gymnastics Team took the gold with a fantastic score of 183. 596!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, to fellow Michigander Jordyn Wieber, Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, Kyla Ross, and McKayla Maroney!!!!!!! YOU ALL ROCK!!!!!!! :wub:

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!!! B)

Posted Image

We bronies salute thee!!!!!!! :D

• Brohoof 3

So Phelps won 19 medals, the greatest Olympian of all time. Congrats to him but now I'm wondering how long it will take for someone to beat that record? Anypony else thinking that?

• Brohoof 1

So Phelps won 19 medals, the greatest Olympian of all time. Congrats to him but now I'm wondering how long it will take for someone to beat that record? Anypony else thinking that?

As persistent as the Chinese are, they might produce their own Phelps in time. And the Chinese are very damn persistent, medals prove it.

As persistent as the Chinese are, they might produce their own Phelps in time. And the Chinese are very damn persistent, medals prove it.

Well, let's see what Applejack has to say about that...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClXAaGoT5eE

Well said Applejack, well said. Yeah, I gotta go with AJ on this one, and for good reason; the Chinese, while overall medal winning, especially gold-medal winning, machines, do not seem to place much emphasis on maintaining the same athletes between Olympics. Instead, they push their athletes so hard, that while their athletic achievements in the short term may be fantastic, their long term athletic careers suffer as a result. Save for sports like table tennis or shooting events, which don't require as much physical exertion, I can't honestly say that I've seen that many Chinese athletes returning from Beijing in 2008. A perfect example of how they negatively push their athletes too far is basketball superstar Yao Ming; for all he accomplished, his professional career could've been much longer had his Chinese athletic handlers not abused him so much for the sake of having a national mascot. If I'm confusing anypony, then allow me to use a metaphor that might be more apt and less confusing; in the U.S., we generally try to get as many years out of our athletes as possible, by design, like somepony trying to get as many years out of a car as possible, even when taking it on roadtrips. The Chinese, on the other hand, seem to treat their athletes as somepony trying to get one great roadtrip out of a car, even at the expense of the car breaking down afterwards.

Now bear in mind, I'm not just saying this because I'm an American and rooting against the Chinese. These are observations that I've made over the past two Olympic games; whether or not they're truly accurate, I cannot say, but I will say that a lot of these Chinese athletes this year are very young, and I think there's a very good reason for this, namely that a lot of their older athletes, who by U.S. standards aren't even that old, are simply not physically capable of meeting the obscenely rigorous Chinese training regimens anymore. Therefore, in conclusion, I do not think that China will produce any Michael Phelps anytime soon, even if they keep on winning many, many Olympic medals. -_-

Posted Image

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

Well, let's see what Applejack has to say about that...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClXAaGoT5eE

Well said Applejack, well said. Yeah, I gotta go with AJ on this one, and for good reason; the Chinese, while overall medal winning, especially gold-medal winning, machines, do not seem to place much emphasis on maintaining the same athletes between Olympics. Instead, they push their athletes so hard, that while their athletic achievements in the short term may be fantastic, their long term athletic careers suffer as a result. Save for sports like table tennis or shooting events, which don't require as much physical exertion, I can't honestly say that I've seen that many Chinese athletes returning from Beijing in 2008. A perfect example of how they negatively push their athletes too far is basketball superstar Yao Ming; for all he accomplished, his professional career could've been much longer had his Chinese athletic handlers not abused him so much for the sake of having a national mascot. If I'm confusing anypony, then allow me to use a metaphor that might be more apt and less confusing; in the U.S., we generally try to get as many years out of our athletes as possible, by design, like somepony trying to get as many years out of a car as possible, even when taking it on roadtrips. The Chinese, on the other hand, seem to treat their athletes as somepony trying to get one great roadtrip out of a car, even at the expense of the car breaking down afterwards.

Now bear in mind, I'm not just saying this because I'm an American and rooting against the Chinese. These are observations that I've made over the past two Olympic games; whether or not they're truly accurate, I cannot say, but I will say that a lot of these Chinese athletes this year are very young, and I think there's a very good reason for this, namely that a lot of their older athletes, who by U.S. standards aren't even that old, are simply not physically capable of meeting the obscenely rigorous Chinese training regimens anymore. Therefore, in conclusion, I do not think that China will produce any Michael Phelps anytime soon, even if they keep on winning many, many Olympic medals. -_-

Posted Image

Let's hope so, I'm still very suspicious of them. I wonder what happens to the North Korean athletes that fail, since it's North Korea and all... Just curious.

Matter of fact, do the North Koreans use athletes from previous Olympic Games?

Matter of fact, do the North Koreans use athletes from previous Olympic Games?

i dont think so. they probably do the same as the Chinese and start each Olympics with the best and youngest athletes they can find.

i dont think so. they probably do the same as the Chinese and start each Olympics with the best and youngest athletes they can find.

You gotta think about what do they do with their 'spent' athletes? Winning ones maybe get special treatment, but the ones that didn't place with a medal? I'm certain that when the curtain shrouding North Korea is lifted, there's going to be atrocity after atrocity exposed.

You gotta think about what do they do with their 'spent' athletes? Winning ones maybe get special treatment, but the ones that didn't place with a medal? I'm certain that when the curtain shrouding North Korea is lifted, there's going to be atrocity after atrocity exposed.

the ones that don't win a medal and the ones they are finished with probably are fast tracked into the military, that just seems like the thing NK would do

Über late, but here's the day 4 medal count. Even with Phelp's miracle, the Americans are still tied with China.

Posted Image

(And there's something funny about that top 10...hehe...xP)

Über late, but here's the day 4 medal count. Even with Phelp's miracle, the Americans are still tied with China.

Posted Image

i love how South Korea is beating North Korea that's like a giant middle finger from the Capitalists to the Commies.

and how is France beating Germany. That never happens. check your world war history

Edited by irobern2857

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

(Why i didnt post on mlpforums for past few days. Why? Why? Why man?)

Canada have 4 medals and 4 medals in total. That means 4 + 4 = 8 medals! (I have nice math)

Well, we made it. We finally made it. Here. Today. All countries, united and strong. Events were held. Records were broke. Excitement was felt. Fun was had. In the end, the true prevailers are every single one of the more then 10,000 athletes of the 204 countries who participated, because these were the Games. And the Games aren't about who wins, it's about collaboration and the true spiritual connection and sportsmanship, and the fun.

After 19 days of competition, USA came out on top of number of medals. Congratulations to the USA Olympic Team for a very successful round at the XXX Olympic Summer Games!

Posted Image

Well, we made it. We finally made it. Here. Today. All countries, united and strong. Events were held. Records were broke. Excitement was felt. Fun was had. In the end, the true prevailers are every single one of the more then 10,000 athletes of the 204 countries who participated, because these were the Games. And the Games aren't about who wins, it's about collaboration and the true spiritual connection and sportsmanship, and the fun.

After 19 days of competition, USA came out on top of number of medals. Congratulations to the USA Olympic Team for a very successful round at the XXX Olympic Summer Games!

Posted Image

Well..

That is it. The Quest for the medals aka London 2012 is coming to end. We have so much fun. Canada didn't win.

The Fun we had. Magical Ceremonies. So. The next quest is coming. Next 4 years. Now The Paralympic Games will coming the quest for the medals. Thank you! Farewell London 2012.... So long...

Post your goodbyes to london 2012 here.

What do you think of the ending ceremony? I thought it was brilliant and it represented the british culture very well. It is amazing how many pop and rock icons are from this country. I've really enjoyed the olympics in London a lot and can't think of a better host at the moment. :D

Congratulations also to Team UK to the 3rd place when it comes to gold-medals

What do you think of the ending ceremony? I thought it was brilliant and it represented the british culture very well. It is amazing how many pop and rock icons are from this country. I've really enjoyed the olympics in London a lot and can't think of a better host at the moment. :D

Congratulations also to Team UK to the 3rd place when it comes to gold-medals

Am watching the ending ceremony, and already loving it. :wub:

Gonna have to wait another four years for the next Summer Olympic games, which will be held in Brazil. Such a long wait, but, no matter how long the wait, we'll be there to watch the next Olympics. :)