Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A little ethic mind-experiment

Kalakauer

(edited)

Hey folks, I just wanted to share this Mind-Experiment with you:

You traveled back in time and now, you are in year 1933 in Germany.

You have the chance to steal Adolf Hitler's wallet. There is no way anyone could catch you, but stealing the purse wouldn't change anything for Hitler's life, there is not much money in there, he would just be angry and sad for a week. You would not stop him from doing the things he will do in his life. You have 5 minutes, after that, you are back home.

Would you steal the wallet?

Edited by Kalakauer
  • Brohoof 1

I'd take it. If I could prove it belonged to him, then I could sell it for money. Ha, didn't think of that, did you?

Wait...Hitler's a dude. So he has a man bag? I actually think that was a pretty bold move for a guy who was a mass-murderer and leader of a massive empire. I mean a man bag. That takes guts. I bet he started like, a trend.

Oh, and no.

• Brohoof 1

Wait...Hitler's a dude. So he has a man bag? I actually think that was a pretty bold move for a guy who was a mass-murderer and leader of a massive empire. I mean a man bag. That takes guts. I bet he started like, a trend.

Oh, and no.

Sorry, bad English :/ corrected it so it is not a man bag anymore :D

Yeah, sad when you don't know how to say this :D

Sorry, bad English :/ corrected it so it is not a man bag anymore :D

Yeah, sad when you don't know how to say this :D

Damn. I liked the idea of a man bag. :P
  • Brohoof 1

If there is no consequence to time ultimately, then the only effect would be upon my morals and memories of the act itself (ultimately).

Since I am not in a habit of committing petty theft against babies or evil dictators-to-be, I do not think I would steal the wallet.

But I would give him a swift kick in the bum.

I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not a thief, but to own something like that, that belonged to such a powerful figure in history. I would have to have it for my WWII memorabilia. I mean, really, it's Adolph Freakin' Hitler's wallet!

(edited)

If the worst outcome from stealing his wallet is the fact that it would cause him discomfort for a week, than no. I really don't see why I would go out of my way just to steal a wallet worth nothing.

Edited by SrFrog

Yes I would, because fuck that guy. He's one of the only people in history whom I would willingly

skin alive with a paring knife

and laugh the whole time. If I can go back in time and make him suffer unimaginably, I'll do it every day. It would be delicious. Barring that, I can live with taking his wallet.

BEST. THREAD. EVAR!

Unfortunately, whatever money was in his wallet would be kind of useless. As I recall, the German economy was in the crapper during the 30's (part of why Hitler was able to rise to power in the first place). Still, the idea of pissing off Hitler is immensely appealing.

Somebody needs to do a "Hitler rant" video with subtitles about how a time traveler stole his wallet. You guys know the one.

Hey folks, I just wanted to share this Mind-Experiment with you:

You traveled back in time and now, you are in year 1933 in Germany.

You have the chance to steal Adolf Hitler's wallet. There is no way anyone could catch you, but stealing the purse wouldn't change anything for Hitler's life, there is not much money in there, he would just be angry and sad for a week. You would not stop him from doing the things he will do in his life. You have 5 minutes, after that, you are back home.

Would you steal the wallet?

Well id much rather beat in his face with my bare hands, but if that was the only choice fuck yeah id steal his wallet. Hitler can eat shit

I expected at least a decent moral dilemma to be presented that would require some level of thought or at least had a degree of grayness.

But my immediate and only answer is no, I would not. If I would not steal someone's wallet in current times even if I had some guarantee I wouldn't get caught, why would I do it in the past?

Really, I don't see how this is a particularly involving ethical question at all :/

I expected at least a decent moral dilemma to be presented that would require some level of thought or at least had a degree of grayness.

But my immediate and only answer is no, I would not. If I would not steal someone's wallet in current times even if I had some guarantee I wouldn't get caught, why would I do it in the past?

Really, I don't see how this is a particularly involving ethical question at all :/

Good analysis, Buzz Killington. This is why we can't have nice things! I kind of assumed that the OP was just joking around, and didn't actually expect people to seriously debate the ethics of stealing HItler's wallet. I could be wrong.

No, because I hold myself to higher moral standards than our friend Adolf here. Also I'm not going to provoke a man already fueled with hate, in fact if I could I'd try to lessen it (maybe try to get him into that art school, would be a smart idea no?).

• Brohoof 1

Good analysis, Buzz Killington. This is why we can't have nice things! I kind of assumed that the OP was just joking around, and didn't actually expect people to seriously debate the ethics of stealing HItler's wallet. I could be wrong.

Unless it is fairly obvious something is a joke, I don't tend to assume it is one. Sorry if the OP was just trying to have a bit of fun. That's never been one of my strong points.