Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dungeons and Dragons RP anyone? (OOC/Pitching)

Authetius

OK - I've been a hardcore RPer since I was 7, seriously btw, not joking. I played DnD first when I was 7 with my brother and his friends and have played Pen and Paper RPs ever since. As much as I love Forum RPs, they get a bit ridiculous and limited at times. On numerous occasions I have stumbled across RPs on this forum and others that have a short scene, or have even included PVP as part of the story, and it ultimately seems to come down to an argument over who hit who and who did what and who won in the end. I find this distasteful, childish and boring.

SO LETS SETTLE THIS LIKE MEN - WITH DICE!

I want to set up and lead a game as an example as to how real RPs should work! I will be using a simplified version of the DnD (Dungeons and Dragons) stat system, or some other system, to decide the chances with each roll for combat and magic and some various other skills. This will ultimately balance PVP and give danger to fighting certain monsters and enemies at low levels or to doing anything stupid really.

Now, as these forums don't have a Dice Rolling Widget on them, We would just have to do this old school, with me, the Dungeon Master, rolling the dice for everyone. That or we would need to find an external website to do the dice rolling on. Either way, your starting stats and skills and what you wish to specialize in is chosen by you. I just get stuck with all the dice rolling and the math when you level up and all that jazz.

This is just a post to see if anyone is interested in playing a RP game that is more complicated and actually has the danger to fail. If I can't get 3-4 mighty adventurers to brave the evils and plots I have set up for them, I will just forget about this dice jazz and convert it to a normal RP.

I won't lie when I say this kind of game requires more thought and a little work at the start to set up characters for the players.

If you're interested, leave a post! Otherwise I'll just be depressed and forever alone! :(

Edited by Authetius

I have Dungeon mastered for years, if you need one. I believe that the rule system could work well without simplification! It would simply take everypony being patient and taking their turns. There are also a large number of other systems that we could potentially play, such as MERP, Shadowrun, or even Fallout PnP. I would definitely be into this idea, though, regardless of whether i DM'd or if the rules were simplified at all.

Which reminds me, i know of a program that is a virtual board that you can upload an image of a map to, and lay a grid over it, and move pieces around on it, called screenmonkey. I also have a program that maps to scale with it, called mapx.

That is absolutely awesome, I was worried I might have trouble with people not wanting to do all the work at start with creating characters. I'll get together some info and find the players manual PDF and post it up and see if I can't get this going.

I have Dungeon mastered for years, if you need one. I believe that the rule system could work well without simplification! It would simply take everypony being patient and taking their turns. There are also a large number of other systems that we could potentially play, such as MERP, Shadowrun, or even Fallout PnP. I would definitely be into this idea, though, regardless of whether i DM'd or if the rules were simplified at all.

That is even more awesome. I was more worried that no one else had played Paper and Pen RPs IRL but me on this forum. I think I want to stick with the DnD system for now without simplifications as it seems to be one of the easiest to teach and the one I'm most familiar with. I haven't DMed much TBH, but I'm confident I can pull it off.

ALSO: I have a External site where I plan on doing all the rolls, it keeps a log of all the rolls and I think it will allow people I add to it to roll there too, thereby I wouldn't have to do it all by myself. I need everyone who is interested to give me their emails, and note that the email you give me will be your username and will show up for everyone who is on this dice rolling machine, so make sure its an anonymous username or something if you wish to keep your identity secret.

As for a map, IDK bout that yet. XD. I didn't plan much yet, and didn't even start looking for that kind of thing online. I'll look into it though.

Excellent! i have PDF copies of every 3.5 D&D book that exists, if somepony will point me to the place to post them. Authetius, if you need help with any rules or concepts, i will be glad to help. I am somewhat of a self proclaimed D&D encyclopedia.

Like Linguz said, no previous experience is needed or expected, though it does help quicken the process a bit.

And again, like Linguz said, you can attach files to your post and put them up right here.

But note: I've had little to no experience with 4E, and the little time me and my friends spent playing it I was bored. We reverted back to other games and the few times we play DnD now its always 3/3.5E

I would love to join too! Something like a Saturday Evening thing. I played DnD 3.5 several times with a few friends and had a blast every time, even if we played only for 2-3 hours every time. ( They have a short patience. )

I would think something like Skype to communicate? Either way this sounds great!

Neikos (and Crimson Sky VIA PM) make good points - I would actually love to do this VIA live chat in some way or another, still looking into exactly how. It would definitely be faster, we just have to find time to get together at the same time.

Good good! 4E was a terrible direction the game took, and i despise it in its entirety. I will post up the players handbook here, as well as the dungeon masters guide, for any who wish for the experience. Also Authetius, i recommend the book "Master of the Game" By Gary Gygax, as it is a comprehensive philosophy of the methodology of dungeon mastering. It is a old book, but if you can find a copy, it is worth your time.

Players Handbook.pdf

Dungeon Master\'s Guide.pdf

I tend to not plan the map AT ALL with the exception of major locations and the immediate area and nearest locations, so I prolly wont go into doing any map right off the bat unless I truly plan this out. I probably will make maps for battlefields and major dungeons though.

And Crimson Sky - you are truly the dedicated player! I may pass this onto you, as you definitely seem to know more about this whole playing online jazz. If you feel up to it, I'll just hand it over to you and learn to DM online through observation.

and no, I do not believe there is any need for a webcam.

I believe that everypony needs experience in it one way or another Authetius!

If you truly wish that i take it off your hands, i will, but i am interested in seeing your ideas and DMing style, as for the most part, i DM 95% of the time whenever i play the game, and its ALWAYS good to step back and play a character for a while. However, i would be willing to help you plan and lay down my knowledge for you to work off of, if you would rather that. I fancy myself a good teacher, i suppose. ^^