Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dungeons and Dragons RP anyone? (OOC/Pitching)

Authetius

A good solid group size is 4-6, and i believe we may have just around that amount who have posted here already. HOWEVER, for somepony who is relatively new i wouldn't attempt to DM more than 8, as it can begin to get rather hectic, as everypony will be talking over eachother. What i have thought of, is two separate chats, one for OOC, everypony to just chat amongst during the game, and an IC chat, where anything that somepony says his character says or does, which leads to the IC chat being fairly orderly.

Um hi... are you still taking new ponies? I've been wanting to try something like this, but I have no experience either. Well, I do have friends who know a lot about D&D, so I can ask them for help if need be.

Sure, I'll take one more. The more the merrier! I don't think I want to take on any more after this, I think this leaves us a 6 players and I honestly don't want to deal with any more chaos than that! So I think joining is closed from here out unless someone quits.

Also would like to mention - Unlike most other RPs on this forum, your character CAN DIE! It is something that the game master has to keep in the game. If you have a 100% chance of winning, then you can do whatever the hell you want, there is no challenge and its no fun, right? I won't make it impossible, but I assure you - stupid things will increase the chances of harsh penalties. Sometimes suicide rushes are just that - suicide.

That being said - once your dead, DnD isn't a game where you're completely out of it. I will sometimes give the dead adventurers control over a few enemies or something to keep them occupied, and if the group misses them or loved them enough, there is always the chance that they may go on some ridiculous quest in the hopes to resurrect their fallen companion.

Perfect! And yeah, Skype without Webcam, I meant purely voice. No need to see my ugly face now is there :P

So now about characters, will we be doing the book ( humans, elves etc ) characters? Or pony chars? Both? Neither?

First off - I'm thinking level one, keeping it simple and I may just acceleration level progression for a short while once we get rolling so we can get somewhere.

Second - Humanoid characters from the DnD player handbook posted by crimson earlier, We will probably do a Ponified version of this or some other pen and paper game if this works out. Start looking into the player handbook, I want to get into character creation with everyone tomorrow.

Skullbuster: lol, just make sure you at least have all the classes and races down.

Linguz: Should be fine - Just add you in a bit later, kick your level to the average level of the currently playing players.

OK - I've been racking my brains and my archives of stories and games for inspiration or perhaps just an old game to make a campaign off of. I think I found one I'd like to play from a few years back. I have several files and pages on the game, all unusually well organized. For this reason I believe it is actually one taken from somewhere else online, and if it is, please don't look for it. There are parts of this campaign not meant to be seen by anyone but the DM's eyes so as to keep it balanced, interesting and unpredictable for the players.

This campaign is called "Moertus."

Here's a quick overview of recent history of this world.

Long before the world of Moertus came into existence the Gods of the universe waged an endless war against one another. As the centuries passed their war became more and more violent, until it climaxed during a great battle known as the “Sundering”. As the Gods launched their mightiest attacks against each other the very fabric of the multiverse tore apart leaving a void of endless darkness that spread between the realms of all the Gods. This caused the Gods to pause and end their ceaseless struggle against each other, at least for a time.

During this peace Astrild, the Goddess of Fire and Goodness, found that her healing light could create life in the void. As she filled it with her light her energy coalesced into the heavenly spheres. She reached out and formed the world of Moertus, and on this world she placed a race of beautiful immortal beings called the “Athar”. They prospered and grew into a enlightened civilization that spread across the world. But Astrild was not the only God whose power could affect the void.

Nicor, the God of Darkness and Evil, discovered he too could reach into the void. He used his power to bring death to the Athar, he spawned inhuman monsters and wrought natural disasters. And while the Athar languished Nicor unleashed his worst affront, he created Tiamat. The Mother of all Dragons destroyed the last of the Athar, sending her children out into the world to hunt down any Athar hidden on Moertus. When she was done she left the world leaving her children to feed on it’s bones. As the Dragons and other monsters ravaged the world, Astrild formulated another plan to bring goodness back to Moertus.

Astrild approached the other Gods; Rig the Earth Lord, Ormet God of Water, and Kun the enigmatic God of the Winds. They had seen what had transpired between Astrild and Nicor, and it drew their interest. Astrild forged an alliance with the other Gods. She would grant them the power to form life and they would use that power against Nicor. And as the pact was sealed Rig created the Dwarves and Gnomes, Ormet created Humans and Halflings, and Kun created the Elves. Astrild knew that Nicor had drawn energy from the immortal life forces of the Athar as they died to create Tiamat, so she limited the life spans of the God’s creations in order to prevent Nicor from doing anything like that again.

The races of Moertus struggled to rise up and survive in a savage world. But with the help of the Gods, the good races of the world built their civilizations and carved out portions of the land for themselves. As the first rulers of Man began to found their Kingdoms, conflicts arose between Humans and Elves. Soon the conflicts turned to war, and for the next 150 years Man and Elf fought bitter battles trying to wipe each other off of the face of Moertus. The Elves drove the Humans back and at a time when it seemed the Elves would wipe out Mankind the “Exodus” occurred.

The Exodus was a time in which huge groups of Elves and Dwarves migrated to the far north. Those that joined the Exodus all shared one common denominator, they had heard the call of Nicor and sought to form a new kingdom in his name. As their worship became more fervent their very bodies, as well as their souls, changed to reflect their new dark following. Once they had traveled deep into the northern wilderness they founded their new homes. The Dwarves traveled deep into the earth and named themselves the Duegar, the Elves moved into a dark forest filled with the ruins of the Athar and took the name Drow.

The Dwarves and Elves each blamed the other for the corruption of their people, and so war erupted between the two races. The Elves, unable to maintain a two sided war, signed a peace treaty with the Humans several years after the war with the Dwarves began. And for the next 400 years the war between Elf and Dwarf raged. In the end the suffering they caused each other forced them to sign a truce, and the war came to an end.

As the next 600 years passed the races of Moertus entered into various pacts, and treaties. Several times war threatened to return but, as the races worked together against the monsters that also made Moertus their home, they found they could benefit from cooperation more then from conflict. A Human King came to the rulers of both the Dwarves and the Elves, and he presented the idea of a unified ruling body. One that would allow each race it’s own Sovereignty, but called for the blending of military forces on certain maneuvers, and a greater sharing of resources and trade goods through increased trade routes. As well each ruler would agree to discuss internal and external problems with the others before declaring any states of war or embargo. The rulers agreed and they constructed a central meeting place they named the “Free City of Nidaros”, and it quickly grew into a cosmopolitan place where anything from across the land could be found.

With the founding of Nidaros the rulers officially signed the treaty that would bind them. They named this new foundation the “Alliance” , and each agreed that once per year the rulers of the Dwarves, Elves, and the three Human Kingdoms would meet for a full week of discussion and deliberation. As well each ruler agreed to leave open lines of communication to one another throughout the entire year, in case the need for immediate contact became needed.

A century has passed and civilization has flourished beyond compare under the Alliance. And the future shows new advances right on the horizon.

There is a lot of detail in this game and it involves a part of DnD I have used only once before - but I don't wish to mention it so as to keep it a surprise. I will explain it when we get to it because this campaign is rather long and it twists this area of rules to make it fit the story.

Tell me if you're interested in this one, and I may post more info on it or just start looking into kicking it off for you guys.

I'll think about it!

As for Moertus - I'm basically all in to playing this campaign. After a bit of research, it is a pre-made campaign online and is apparently well known. Again - please don't look it up as it will bring spoilers that will ruin the game.

It seems like a fairly well thought out adventure! I promise i will look up no spoilers. ^-^

There are actually two characters i would like to play, one is dependent on how you feel about monster races, the other, dependent on the culture of the human kingdoms.

He better allow monster and undead races.

I'm playing a skeleton warlock named Bartholomew Omega Noelle Ezekiel Sjaelan or BONES for short. He'll be a master at summoning undead.

Linguz, I don't know about that. While i hate to cramp ones "creativity", that is a quite ridiculous idea you have there. This campaign (as far as i've been informed) Is supposed to maintain an air of seriousness. Now, in a light hearted campaign, i would love to see a character like that, but (again as far as i know) this campaign is not such a game. Also, as far as the rules are concerned, warlocks cannot summon undead until much higher levels, let alone they are not in the core rulebook. Also, in order for a skeleton (a usually mindless being) to be able to be a sentient character, there would have to be quite a bending of the storyline around said character. And as far as i know of there is no existing spell that allows one to remotely control the undead, but it is up to the DM to implement said spell. Please, don't take me wrong, i mean no insult or disrespect, i simply don't think, within the constraints of the rules, our character level, and the skill level of the DM, such a thing would be feasible.

Edited by Crimson Sky

The skeleton would be played much like a normal character. And I was joking about the "master at summoning undead." I would just make him a warlock. He would be either 1) a summon done by a god, seeing as gods are in this campaign and the god was interupted by something or 2) a living skeleton who truly came to being from nothing. I would NOT be controlled by an outside force. I want to play a skeleton who is incredibly weak in endurance and strength but who would be able to come back to life by putting his bones back in place unless one of the core bones were broken. While I understand skeletons are usually mindless, I do not think that too much bending would have to happen.

I truly truly want to play this character.

I see you have thought this out, and not just thrown the idea in for the laughs. Hmm. Well the warlock is a base class, so i will upload the book he is in for you. You see the reason it is difficult to do is because D&D isn't like an RP, its not just do what you want. There are a very rigid set of rules, in place for game balance, that are hard to mend. I think a skeleton character could be doable, you will need a very well written story section for it. Now, as for the ability to put oneself back together, that is an unfair advantage compared to the relative power level of the campaign. I simply cant see that part happening.

Thank you. Of course I wouldn't just throw my idea in. I've been thinking about it for long enough to make something good up.

I know D&D isn't the same as other RPs, but those rules aren't as rigid as one thinks they are. To keep the game the same, the rules can't be changed. If the rules are changed, the game becomes a lot less serious and a lot more casual that is imbalanced at some points.

I see that you have misread my post. He would be unable to pull himself back together. He would need his allies to pick up his bones and put them together. Anything that is connected to his skull through the chest, he can control. If the chest is removed, it has to be put back before other pieces are added. If any of the bones are cut apart, he would not be able to use anything past the first cut. If his chest is sliced in two, he would be limited to using only the limbs still available through the connection until the chest is replaced by another skeleton's chest. If his skull it cut, that can't be replaced and hurts him permanently. If his chest is smashed to bits, he needs to replace it before he can use his limbs. He would have to skull hop or be carried by someone else until then. If his skull is crushed in or cut in two, he dies.

Don't underestimate my knowledge of the rules, i've been DMing this game for 11 years. ^-^

I see what you mean, now, but i still believe unlimited life is a strongly over powered advantage.

I would suggest the ability to reform still be allowed, but that in order for the body to set and be usable again, one must have a particlar spell cast upon him. Perhaps animate dead (a 4th level spell, which would require an 8th level wizard/sorcerer, which mean until such a time that the party has one of that caliber, the body must be brought to someone who WOULD cast the spell).

Other than that discrepancy, i believe your idea would be quite workable. Also, here is the book with the warlock base class in it.

Complete Arcane.pdf