Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should MLP Be Catered More Towards Bronies?

PonyEcho

(edited)

I already think the show is too catered to 'bronies'. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the background characters getting called their fandom names, and I think that's neat that the company pays attention to the fandom. However, inserting elements in the show that are meant to appeal more to a grown-up male base should not be. It's a show for girls, and it shines excellently as that to me.

They have already done things that rubbed me in the wrong way in Season 2, namely that one over-the-top masculine pony on steroids in the Hurricane Fluttershy episode. It just seemed like something thrown in to please bronies because it seemed like nothing more than an internet meme. I don't know, I could be seeing it the wrong way... I just hope Season 3 stays on track as a show aimed at being quality entertainment for girls.

Edited by Envy

Eeenope.

They already cater to us enough as it is. They're naming background characters fan-made names, they're merchandising based around us, they made an official fan game off of a commercial that we enjoyed (Adventure Ponies), they make commercials using terms like 'bronies', among other things. If they tried to do so even more, I can only see problems arising in way shape or form. Let the 'target' audience remain towards 'little girls and their parents', to keep things status quo. The show is still perfect, and as long as it doesn't start to change drastically, which I doubt, it doesn't matter what it's aimed for at it's core.

I believe the system thus far has been effecient;

Make it for the entire family, but keep bronies warmly in mind.

Should the show be catered more towards bronies. Well, what do you think Applejack?

Yeah, what she said. As many others have said, we all fell in love with the show not because it was catered to adults, but because it was what it was and has always been; a show that, while produced for little girls, has always taken itself and its audience seriously, has always had high quality animation, voice acting, and music, and has always had fantastic humor that can be appreciated by both adults and children. So yeah, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

However, I will say that if more shout-outs to the community show up within the show next season, I will have no problem with that, since all previous shout-outs have been fantastic so far ( :ph34r: even if some have generated completely unwarranted controversy... bucking soccer moms), as long as it works within the show. They can't simply have a shout-out to the community solely for the sake of the community, such instances within the show need to work within the show as well for all audiences.

I see no real reason for them to change it... It would most likely just lead to more angry soccer-moms... Then the whole show would probably go under. :o I think leaving the show alone is their best bet, for now. :3 If it went on long enough, though, they could tune it up a bit for the viewers who were little when they started watching...

yeah but they might cater more because bronies will more then likely become their target audience

catering to little girls is what the show started as, but when your target audience changes then one would think you would have to change as well, cater to the audience who is actually vocal, gives suggestions on what to make and sell and happily buys it, verses hanging on to a much smaller audience, who doesn't really care, and has a lot of other choices of girly toys to buy

yes it doesn't sound so great in some ways to have the show cater entirely to bronies but, it could happen (I will say it would be better from a merchindising standpoint-show standpoint? that boils more down to tastes)

(edited)

I personally don't think it should. No matter how big the fandom gets, MLP will always be a show for little girls and that shouldn't be changed. The creators of the show give us a tilt of the hat every known and again and that is all there should be. I agree they could do it a bit more often but you have to learn to be happy with what you get given. If the creators changed the show towards bronies(or how ever its spelt ) then I am sure it wouldn't be half and good. Just my opinion :)

Edited by Onyx Angel
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

And now, with season 4 out, season 4 seems to be VERY much aimed at bronies, maybe to to the extent that you wrote, but still a lot of fan service, I mean we see discord in a maid outfit for crying out loud, lol....

Nah. I feel it would lose the old fans. I mean, I'm a brony, but I love it just the way it is. I never wanted it to be more action packed or to change to be more like what other people want it to be. I've always appreciated it even as how it used to be about Friendship. I like it just the same now, but to completely aim it more towards the bronies would make it an everyday cartoon without meaning, in my opinion.

It's better to keep the show the way it is. When you cater to the bronies or a huge fanbase, your show would start to listen to their ideas to put it in your episodes as fan service. Since most of the bronies in the fandom can't accept change, I'll still appreciate the show whether it's about Friendship or just to cater to the fans.

• Brohoof 1

The show from its very inception has had a great balance of catering to the children as well as being able to appeal to teens and adults without actually intending to have such as immense following among teens and adults. Simply put it didn't need to try very hard to do so but still managed to pull it off by simply getting the right people to work on it and giving them the creative freedom they need to make a great show. Once bronies became known the show staff did capitalize on it by throwing us references and other goodies many of which I enjoyed but there is such a things as trying too hard and doing so might actually upset this balance.

Thats not what laura would have wanted, she made it for little girls first and foremost. I mean hell there is so few shows for little girls that are actually quality that are not all about highschool or boy woes you really want to take one of the few shows that is not that shallow away? Thats not fair to the current fans who are young kids/girls. 

If you want "dark and edgy" make fanfics or fanworks. I have seen it done and its cool but it shouldn't be changed to that. Adults and kids like it for what it is now, changing it to suit an older audience doesn't make a lot of sense. Hasbro has *never* aimed to target adults specifically.

Edited by RainbowGlitter

Well the show was never really meant for adult fans anyway, that's the fandom's job.

MLP is fine as it is, in fact Hasbro has been walking on the edge by creating Derpy, which could give some kids impression that handcapped people are stupid and funny, when in reality they aren't. I'm sure some bronies would yell like "Derpy's no stupid!" and "We all know that!" but quite alot of kids, especially young kids, have weird ways of interpretations.

Just leave mlp the way it is and let the fandom do the job :)

Well this is an old topic. xD

No. We all watched it for what it was, so why change it into something it wasn't?

Even though, it seems the newest episodes are made more for us, they are still very appropriate for the target audience. It's like they've found a happy medium.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say no. If they change it, then it won't be the same show that we fell in love with. I don't mind them making little nods for the bronies, but to change the whole show to cater to us is going a little far.

The show is fine as it is now, in my opinion. 

I think the way the show is handled now is just fine. It does a great job of catering to it's "actual" audience while still being plenty enough entertaining to us. I'm sure all of us have noticed the numerous nods to the brony fanbase through out the show. Also I just want to add if you want something that does cater more to bronies then the comics are the way to go. They're a tad bit darker in tone and really up the ante when it comes to the nods and references.

I'll say no. We all appreciate the little drops that are specifically for us in the show, but I think that should be it. Kids still watch this show, y'know. So...yeah. No. :I

Nope.

Sure if they had ponies running over changlings in tanks or something with gore everywhere folks finally couldn't use the "its for kids" stick anymore.

But I've said before, we bronies enjoy the show for the ride, we shouldn't be derailing it.

After all, what kind of MLP will we be leaving behind for the generations after us?

Probably an MLP where all the Sexy/Grimdark characters are either canon or the offspring of the original mane6.... 

...damn, thats a worrying thought....

• Brohoof 1

Well I know what you meant: but in a way it already is catered towards bronys, we wouldn't be here if the show wasn't what it is.

I think the show has the balance perfect and I wouldn't want them to change it: if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

Look how many bronies there are!

They love the show exactly how it is, as do I , so I don't see how they could change it to be any more aimed towards bronies, because bronies are people who love my little pony, and it wouldn't be my little pony if it was changed B)

We like it the way it is is all I'm trying to say ;)

• Brohoof 2