Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should MLP Be Catered More Towards Bronies?

PonyEcho

No, the show and the merchandise do enough fan service, and the fans create their own novelties, so let's not be greedy, for this MLP is favoured by anyone who has watched to show already. The delicate balance among fans and children is handled with care, and they have proven to keep that stability very competently, finally I would like to say the fans have conventions like Bronycon and Everfree, so we do our own fan service as if the show was catered toward us; we must be grateful for that frivolous feat.   

• Brohoof 1

I feel like season 4 -- and even a bit of season 3 -- is already much too far in the direction of "catering to the bronies". Trying to use "dark themes", marriage proposal jokes (like, seriously? :lol:), and other panda-throwing stuff like that. The show was best when it didn't acknowledge bronies at all, IMO. We'll have to wait and see how the rest of season 4 plays out, but as of right now, the show just seems like a showcase of characters, rather than the fun stories it used to be. Bring on the hate. xD

Here's my take on it, the show shouldn't be catered more to any group but instead there should be a good center and I feel that MLP already has that down pat. The only thing I think should be catered too a little bit more is the merchandise for bronies. Instead of everything we get being from other bronies that make it, why are they not making plushies of Discord or sombra, or why isn't show actuate merchandise showing up. There should be a little more focus our way when it comes to merchandise but the show is fine the way it is. 

Edited by LordDiscord

Really, it already is catered towards bronies, since the show as it is is what we all started watching. Any changes would just be aimed at drawing a more mainstream audience by trying to create bronies from people who ordinarily wouldn't be involved at all, and would certainly be bad for the long term health of the fandom. It might get a bunch of new people at first, but it would at the same time alienate the existing fanbase.

Bronies already have a big impact on the show.... And its fine the way its is and going. Im afraid that if they make it more bronyified, that parents of younger children might not 'like' what their kids are watching and hang hazbro by a tree (Metaphorically speaking)

What any fandom/targeted demographic of any media does to said media's creators completely impact the shows' nature and quality.  If you made any kind of show, and the targeted demographic does not watch it/like it, then that show will either be cancelled or you will change things to make it better. If your show does well, but there is a huge fan-base that has idea's, you should take their best idea's into consideration, lest you potentially lose that fan group because you are ignoring them (look at any big show that has a giant fandom [trekkies, and whoovians and the list goes on]). 

As for FIM, the creators are in a very good, yet difficult spot.  They have to appease their overlord for the sake of toys, and if what they present is approved then they have semi-creative freedom to do as they please (as long as it makes Hasbro money).  The brony fandom is a HUGE market base that get Hasbro even more money then they could ever dreamed with the MLP franchise. Unlike the targeted demographic, we are in control of our money and thus can spend as we please, and for the most part, don't have to beg our parents. The creators want to maintain this fandom (well, more or less appease us enough to make hasbro $$$).  However, they have gone above and beyond what most show creators do for their fans. This is both a blessing and a curse upon us as the brony fandom.  They are looking at OUR creativity, and go about trying to give us what we want within the ramifications of Hasbro and the targeted demographic. Thus we got EQG and will get more episodes that take from our creativity (Daring Don't....for proof, just go look at fan-fics). They are catering to us, yes, because we can give them $$$, yet they have to keep it for the little kids as well so that means making their parents happy too (perfect example of this backfiring is Derpy)....

To answer your question....yes and no. The show is ALREADY catering to us, but there are limits and rules to this that keep it catered towards the targeted demographic.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, it's the show we fell in love with and that shouldn't change :)

And if they did they might lose half their fanbase, the little kids.

Remember this show was meant for little kids in the first place (before we realised it was awesome)

Nope.

Sure if they had ponies running over changlings in tanks or something with gore everywhere folks finally couldn't use the "its for kids" stick anymore.

But I've said before, we bronies enjoy the show for the ride, we shouldn't be derailing it.

After all, what kind of MLP will we be leaving behind for the generations after us?

Probably an MLP where all the Sexy/Grimdark characters are either canon or the offspring of the original mane6.... 

...damn, thats a worrying thought....

You cherry picked the worst possible scenario's implying fan pandering could never work.

I had to hear enough of "it's for kids we can't have bad guys trying to kill good guys."

we just did in the last episode.  In a spoof on indian jones, a movie i'd argue every kid has seen (at least back in the day).

Like i've said.  Pandering can work.  it can also fail.  Sometimes the writing staff does some amazing stuff.

and some times it does Equistrian girls.

On the other hand the princess twilight arc (the season 4 premier)  was pandering and it bucking rocked.

If handled careful, like anything else it can be made to work.

If tossed in there all willy nilly it can be a cold venmous thing.

i noticed the conservatives bust out cup cakes hoove over fist the moment someone says more violence and say grim dark trying to shame people down,

and when you bring up other violent cartoons they went to the tired old "But it's not that kind of cartoon."

well that's changing.

^^.  I should be able to sight ppg or another cartoon, yes a cartoon not an anime and have someone just go all lazy like "Her her her you want cup cakes!"

Edited by FNGRpony

they shouldnt tailor it to just us, we all like the show they way it is, but if they were to give us an episode about derpy then the only people who would complain is the parents who think its discriminating disabled people, i rather like the idea of an episode about derpy, or maybe vinyl.

they shouldnt tailor it to just us, we all like the show they way it is, but if they were to give us an episode about derpy then the only people who would complain is the parents who think its discriminating disabled people, i rather like the idea of an episode about derpy, or maybe vinyl.

a reasonable fan ^^.

I've never heard a fan ask for pandering to stifle writers creativity.  Unless it's MA larson, than yes perhaps that wouldn't be so bad.

No, it should be like the great cartoons of the past (aka continuing the way they are): marketing the show to little girls but have small (or large) "adult cues" so we can enjoy it with our kids (or not).

We already can make awesome fan made stuff ("don't mine at night", "button's adventures", and "Smile HD" are some that come to mind) that may/may not be geared to the younger audience. I like it when fans take things from a show, mix it up, and produce something entirely different.

Plus, I love that the voice actors acknowledge the brony fans, and I think even the writers are slipping a few bits for us ("Daring Don't" is one).

• Brohoof 1

Another old thread sees the light of day again.  :comeatus:

From day one MLP:FiM was designed as a family cartoon and this is the real reason teens and grown ups are able to watch it without feeling queasy. In fact, Lauren and her original teammates were probably hoping for a nice non-target demographic following. Needless to say, that expectation was greatly exceeded. :wub:

To answer the question, no it shouldn't be more catered to Bronies. When you talk about that you're talk about tampering with the original successful formula. The change would be noticeable and may end up causing the cartoon to lose more viewers than it gains.

As several others have said, why fix something that isn't broken? :)

I think it caters enough to bronies as it is. There are some sneaky adult jokes and references in the show already, and there's action as well. Also, they at least tried to give Derpy some screen time once, even if they did have to change her a little. Not to mention us being shouted out to in the Equestria Girls song. (Not referring to the movie, referring to the California Girls parody.)

We all fell in love with the show the way it is, I think it's perfect how it is right now. I wouldn't want it to be changed.

You cherry picked the worst possible scenario's implying fan pandering could never work.

I had to hear enough of "it's for kids we can't have bad guys trying to kill good guys."

I know, that was deliberate. They'd have to be a bit more subtle to please the bronies than be so obvious. XD

Edited by Malinter

To awnser this question, you must look at the origin of this fandom.

The bronies like the show because of what? it's made for little girls? I think not, so making it for the bronies wouldn't not be that bad, but it would certainly break the charm of the show in some ways... (making it for the bronies IS NOT, IMO, using the fanfics as inspiration, get the idea?)

Edited by Shadling

Honestly, I don't think they should tailor too much to bronies, or it could get away from what actually drew in the original bronies: the fact that the show was 100 percent geared towards little girls.

No, I'm trying to say that maybe the "girly" part is not what draw the bronies, the story-telling, animations and character devlopement is to blame for this, at least for me...

Edited by Shadling