Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your opinion on my little pony before you watched friendship is magic?

jacibobsthebrony

At first I heard a lot going on about it on the internet. Fandom and stuff. I thought it was plain silly.

It got annoying in time, so I really had to check myself what's so special about the show.

Well, I gotta say I got pretty much hit in the face with rainbow magic and pony friendship as I saw the first episode. At the first few episode it felt just awkward hearing the intro, it sounded so girly.

Now everytime a new episode comes up I sing along :V

I never really even knew about it until one day in school, I saw a guy watching something that looked unusually colorful and pink. I gave him a weird look :unsure: and asked him what it was. He then said it was My Little Pony. I probably laughed at that point and just decided to ignore it. Back then, i was one of the "haters" who hadn't seen much of the show and thought it was girly since all I knew at the time were the previous generations. A few weeks later, I was chatting with a friend and, since there was an awkward pause in the conversation, I asked her what she was doing. She said that she was watching MLP and a few seconds later told me to watch it. I said no. She was persistent for a few weeks. Finally, after she bribed me with Ramen noodles, I decided I would watch the first episode. Since it had a cliffhanger, I was pretty much forced to watch the second episode. When that was over, I thought to myself "well, now what? Where's the plot for this show? etc. " I had watched six episodes by the end of the night.

|--(0)--|

techno915

Well, when I was a kid I loved the G3 show. I know, it sucked, but when I was a kid I didn't care. I was a lonely child so My Little Pony and oddly enough for a little girl, dinosaurs were pretty much the only things I had. I literally had every toy except one.

When G4 came out, I thought it would be stupid like the show I watched when I was a kid. I didn't hate on anyone, but I still talked to people about how stupid I thought it was. Once, I was over at a friends house and was looking through DeviantArt and saw a ponified character and me and here thought we should just see what all the fuss was about. We fell in love with the show and watched half of season 1 that night.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't hate it, but I always thought it was just a toy for little girls, as I had Generation 3 in my mind whenever someone said "My Little Pony". However, my opinion changed when I saw the episode of 'Death-Battle' on Youtube where Rainbow Dash fought Starscream and won. I thought "WOAH, THAT'S AWESOME," watched the show, and I've been a fan ever since.

First time i found out about it was on SWF people had pony avatars which was just a bit annoying after sometime (i guess it was like jokingly annoyed). Then just out curiosity I started watching it (iirc) first episode was "A Friend in Deed". I just didn't really pay attention to it as much)

• 9 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I had none. I heard now and then it exists and it had an adult fan base. But I only make my opinion about a thing after I've seen it and thought about it. I'm not big on prejudice. 

• Brohoof 1

I saw I think 1 movie of g1 prior to g4.  It didn't appeal to me in the slightest.  Back then I was waay more in to Real Ghostbusters, Thundercats, Turtles, Mysterious Cities of Gold, etc.  I was a late comer to g4 as well, I'm just now getting to s7.  It's entirely possible I may even stay a g4 loyalist in that I don't care much for other gens.  Even the g5 movie was a turnoff to me.  FiM was/still is something special, and I'm highly skeptical they can reproduce, or otherwise follow it with with an equal successor.

• Brohoof 2

G3 was prominent growing up and it really just turned me off due to how perfect things were. There was no substance or anything…I never knew that MLP took a major change until 2011. However, my curiosity peaked in 2012, which is when I became a Brony.  

• Brohoof 3

Felt a lot of cringe back in G3. Cringed with every commercial. I was indifferent with FIM at first, same as virtually every TV show. I practically didn’t watch TV back then. Then a university classmate started nagging me about ponies for several days, but made me genuinely curious. Took a while before I happened to watch an episode. Then watched another, and then the one which hooked me with ponies: Canterlot Wedding :mlp_yeehaa:

• Brohoof 3

If we're talking about before FIM, then I saw it no differently than what most people did, being really girly and uninteresting.

Of course, when FIM came around and the show became well known across the internet and became popular with grown men, and researching and hearing about how the show is a lot more appealing compared to its predecessors along with the strong characterization and writing, I decided to check it out and became a fan.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Felt a lot of cringe back in G3. Cringed with every commercial. I was indifferent with FIM at first, same as virtually every TV show. I practically didn’t watch TV back then. Then a university classmate started nagging me about ponies for several days, but made me genuinely curious. Took a while before I happened to watch an episode. Then watched another, and then the one which hooked me with ponies: Canterlot Wedding :mlp_yeehaa:

And forgot to add, I did see the occasional gratuitous pony picture back then. Same amount of indifference.

and also, I remembered Joshscorcher also influenced my pre-brony pony curiosity, as he also posted the occasional pony reaction in his videos in about 2011-2012. I have been following him since around the time Smash Bros Brawl released. He used to make comments via text with simple backgrounds :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

As a kid, I've never really thought much of MLP nor wasn't a big fan of it either since I thought it was a generic and saccharine baby show that feels so kiddish and shallow. 

However, when I got into the show in 2013, I began to realize it was much more than that.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that Ii had a similar opinion with most people here. I also thought that it was just a show for little girls. However, I did hear a bit about the fandom in the later years and I always thought of it as a bit weird, but I'm a part of it now so...

I thought that there was no way in hell that it would be a good show. I thought it was targeted at small girls and had a shallow plot with flat, stereotypical "girly" characters. I am so glad I gave it a chance. 

• 1 month later...