Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Social Phobia (shyness)

FireFox

I happen to have an extreme case of social phobia. I find it very hard to talk to anyone about anything ever (even with the anonymous internet). I always dread writing anything, worrying people with think the worst about me. Do any of you feel the same or have thoughts for those of us that do feel that way?

• Brohoof 13

I can understand where you're coming from.

I have a phobia, but it isn't towards society. I think a phobia to society's a lot worth than my phobia.

About 2 years ago, I was only 12 (I'm 14 now), I read the fanfiction Cupcakes...

Ever since, to this day, I have a fear of cupcakes. I violently gag and when I see them. I was force-fed one once by my parents trying to help me get over it, but I vomited and passes out. I just can't do cupcakes now.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I never had a case of phobia, though all I can say is that you should not worry about what others think about you. I guess try to have more confidence in yourself by not taking what other people say so personally.

I know this feeling, I have a personality disorder that is referred to as Schizotypal personality disorder.

Schizotypal personality disorder is a personality disorder characterized by a need for social isolation, anxiety in social situations, odd behavior and thinking, and often unconventional beliefs. People with this disorder feel extreme discomfort with maintaining close relationships with people, and therefore they often don't. They frequently misinterpret situations as being strange or having unusual meaning for them. Paranormal and superstitious beliefs are not uncommon for these people. People with this disorder seek medical attention for things such as anxiety, depression, or other symptoms.

I can barely walk out my front door without having a panic attack. I only have two people that I can interact with a on a daily basis, one of them being my best friend who I happen to live with, and another being my boyfriend. My boyfriend more so, because never live with friends (I've been growing to hate her when I don't want to) I know what it's like, I hermit myself more than your average W.O.W player. If you ever need to chat, feel free to message me.

• Brohoof 1

The problem with most, if not all, phobias is that the fear is irrational. In my case, my mind knows the fear I have is irrational and makes no sense whatsoever, but nevertheless I can't overcome it. Alcohol is the only drug (I've tried a few SSRI's) that seems to allow me to suppress the fear.

(edited)

I sort of know how you feel but I don't know if you could classify me as having a phobia of it, but even if I did I probably wouldnt let myself be classified as such.

I think labeling it as a disorder gives it a power over you as if it's something that you can never overcome. Most challenges in life are 99% mental obstacles, and I believe we can overcome them if we try hard enough. Just remember that it is something you can overcome if you try hard enough...

You know, and I think it's okay if maybe you try hard your whole life and can't completely overcome it, you'll at least be able to look back at yourself and be proud that you tried your best. And if you do manage to overcome it then that's even better and you could help inspire other people to get over their fears too.

Edited by Hollowshield
  • Brohoof 2

I know this feeling, I have a personality disorder that is referred to as Schizotypal personality disorder.

I can barely walk out my front door without having a panic attack. I only have two people that I can interact with a on a daily basis, one of them being my best friend who I happen to live with, and another being my boyfriend. My boyfriend more so, because never live with friends (I've been growing to hate her when I don't want to) I know what it's like, I hermit myself more than your average W.O.W player. If you ever need to chat, feel free to message me.

I'm the same way as you. I live with my dad, who is my best friend forever. I so know how you feel. :)

• Brohoof 1

I can understand where you're coming from.

I have a phobia, but it isn't towards society. I think a phobia to society's a lot worth than my phobia.

About 2 years ago, I was only 12 (I'm 14 now), I read the fanfiction Cupcakes...

Ever since, to this day, I have a fear of cupcakes. I violently gag and when I see them. I was force-fed one once by my parents trying to help me get over it, but I vomited and passes out. I just can't do cupcakes now.

Wow it must be pretty scary then i am not scared alot but quite a few reviews say it is pretty disturbing should i read it?

Wow it must be pretty scary then i am not scared alot but quite a few reviews say it is pretty disturbing should i read it?

It is very disturbing, you should only read it if you like that kind of thing. Did you like Jaws, Texas Chainsaw, the Saw series?

• Brohoof 1

It is very disturbing, you should only read it if you like that kind of thing. Did you like Jaws, Texas Chainsaw, the Saw series?

Yeah i kinda thought jaws was just funny as in just strange i saw the a short animation based of cupcakes it was just disgusting

I wouldn't recommend it...

I know feeling. I just moved to a new neighborhood and the people across me have a 17 and 19 year old son. I could not start up a conversation for the life of me and anything they talked about I couldn't relate to...I gave a feeling that this is gonna carry into my new highschool and that stresses me out to no end. I can not help you but take comfort in the fact that you are not alone in this situation.

I am very shy as well. I rarely have any initiative to start a talk with strangers and even with my friends, sitting there silently until someone dares to talk to me.

I'm close-minded and I'm scared of what people would think of me. That's pretty awful...

I've been in many psychiatrists and I actually became more outgoing than before, but still not completely as I would like.

• Brohoof 1

I think labeling it as a disorder gives it a power over you as if it's something that you can never overcome. Most challenges in life are 99% mental obstacles, and I believe we can overcome them if we try hard enough. Just remember that it is something you can overcome if you try hard enough...

True, but sometimes it lets you identify the problem and actually solve it, rather than worrying about the unknown. The real issue is self-diagnosing or having someone who is unqualified diagnose you. It's easy to become a hypochondriac if you allow yourself to become fixated on a disease that you find... for lack of a better word, appealing.

Realistically, alot of people are shy and reclusive, but sometimes its a phase that passes. One thing I did to get better at being social (I'm not by a long shot an extrovert) is getting a job. I used to work at a Bed Bath and Beyond and I was forced to interact with customers and my co-workers. This sort of alleviated my anxiety because I had an excuse to talk to them.

Technique only.

• Brohoof 1

I know feeling. I just moved to a new neighborhood and the people across me have a 17 and 19 year old son. I could not start up a conversation for the life of me and anything they talked about I couldn't relate to...I gave a feeling that this is gonna carry into my new highschool and that stresses me out to no end. I can not help you but take comfort in the fact that you are not alone in this situation.

High school is a big thing socially. I can understand totally why you are stressed out about it. I'm sure everyone here, myself included, would be more than happy to help if you need to talk.

(edited)

People are generally too afraid or convinced of failure to do much of anything, and that bleeds into the social aspect of life.

The best advice I could give you is to try and not care what other's think of your opinion when you voice them. It's either let your thoughts be known or live life unsatisfied because you keep quiet about your feelings.

In any case, your situation is understandable. I hope you'll feel better about this soon!

Edited by Random User

I used to be terrified of talking to people :s But a few years of counseling and meeting awesome people made me feel a lot better about myself, and not afraid of what people thought of me ^w^

Er, I'm very shy, so I know how you feel. I don't really talk with my friends. They usually do most of the talking. I'm also not very confident about a work I do, and don't trust people when they say they like it.

• Brohoof 1

Most of the time it only happens when I barely meet someone new. Yeah, I can carry on a conversation once I get the flow of the conversation going but the internet is a whole other beast. I tend to choose my words carefully out of fear of making someone mad in both really.

• Brohoof 1

I can relate. I went through a lot of shit in my old high school and I ended up paranoid and even more afraid of opening up to people than I was before. My heart races even when I'm talking to just two people, I get so nervous. When I talk to someone one-on-one I'm fine though. It's strange...

Also, being rejected is one of my fears. I've gotten so much rejection that I push people away before they get the chance to hurt me. It's like the fact that I'm different and too strange for people to like me has been imprinted permanently into my mind. And if they do like me at first, they'll eventually get sick of me and leave.

And now that high school is starting again isn't going to make anything better... -_-

I've been an introvert my whole life.

I know this feeling all too well, man. I always tell myself, I can do it; speak to someone. And I can. ..... in my head.

It's the reason I have no real life friends and any friends I do have, are through the internet.

(edited)

Where to begin on this topic? (Warning incoming lengthy post)

Shyness has always been a trait of mine that I know I should get over, but I could never muster up the courage to be open with other ponies. It's not so much that I don't want to talk to ponies as it is the thought of being judged by them that gets me and let me tell you I am my own worst enemy when it comes to thoughts of being judged. Getting over of one's shyness is all about getting out of your safety zone and that is no easy task. In my experience it was like trying to break down a brick wall with your bare-hooves, but it gets easier if you have friends that share the same feelings. When I was in high school I was lucky enough to meet ponies who shared the same interests. Not only that but we were also a mixed bunch of weirdo's that didn't exactly fit in any particular niche except our own.

If anything I'm grateful for them, because without them I would probably be even more introverted than I am now. Not to say that I'm not, but you get the idea.

As for advice, I can't really say considering that I'm still in the same boat. However I can say this, finding ponies who share the same interests is a great way in helping breaking down your own social barriers. If you feel like talking to a pony with the confidence that they won't judge you then look no further than the brony community.

Edited by Sand Piper

Posted Image

Why is alcohol in the tags

Seriously now

But yeah, I have a chronic anxiety disorder that has some similar effects. I don't like making eye contact, I'm not too great at initiating and/or continuing a conversation, etc. etc. I've said a bunch of this stuff in a similar thread and Viscra was like "Why are you me"

Yes, I'm pretty much there with the rest of the people in this thread, so I won't go into great detail

However, I just find it odd that I listen to a lot of music that people would play at clubs/parties, and I hate both because of said social phobia. I cringe at the thought of dancing

And I think alcohol is in the tags is because drinking sometimes reduces one's shyness in social situations