Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rate song, then post another!

Marshmallow

Some more catching up, and like last time I'll skip a few songs that I'm not interested in reviewing.

Kiss: I Stole Your Love (Live): Live version: 6/10. Original: 7/10. Catchy (but somewhat repetitive) song. The live mixing isn't great though, the original version has better mixing.

Artillery: 8/10. Sounds like a mix of old school heavy metal and trash metal. The way the drums and guitars interact is actually pretty interesting, which lifts the song from a probable 7 to a solid 8.

Rob Dougan: 7/10. I find the drums really interesting and appealing. The song is overall pretty chill yet somewhat mysterious and dramatic.

Peter Frampton: Do You Feel Like We Do (Live): 7/10. The audience is seriously annoying and they ruin parts of the song, which I find very unfortunate. A version without the audience would likely score an 8 or 9.

Iron Maiden: Rainmaker: 7/10. For some reason, the vocals sound a bit muffled, perhaps due to poor mixing. This is unfortunate. The song is pretty good, but the mixing is off. Perhaps a remaster or a cover by some other band could do it justice? The guitar solo reminds me of Colony/Clayman In Flames (which makes sense, seeing how In Flames were influenced by old Iron Maiden).

Iron Maiden: The Wicker Man: 8/10. I quite like Brave New World, it's probably Iron Maiden's second best album they've made post-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. The chorus is a bit repetitive but still catchy, the guitar solo is very nice, the drumming does a pretty good job, and it's well mixed. Also, Bruce Dickinson does a good job as a vocalist.

Middle Class Rut: Busy Bein' Born: 4/10. Sounds edgy. Is it whiny? I'm not quite sure, a bit, perhaps? The song a bit repetitive and simple, though. It's also kind of boring. Also, why no real guitar solo? A somber guitar solo could really have saved the song, but I guess they either decided to skip or or they weren't able to create one.

Sabaton: 8/10. Well, it's pompous and powerful, with a bit of Baroque feel at times. The guitar solo is really good, the mix is really good, the singer is solid (as usual), and well... It works pretty well. At times it's a bit much, but if you're in the mood for some symphonic, melodic, somewhat cheesy power metal, this song will be pretty good (I would have liked more technical guitars outside of the solo, but oh well).

The Arrogant Sons of Bitches: 6/10. That's certainly something, huh. Ska punk. This song is basically an energy boost, and it does a reasonable job at that. It's not terribly technical, varied, catchy, beautiful, but punk rarely is. Still, if you want a quick energy boost, you could listen to this song.

Rancid: ”Old Friend”: 5/10. The intro is really nice. The music is pretty nice overall, but the singers are pretty bad. It might've been better as a fully instrumental song. The guitar solos are quite nice, though a bit short. The song should've been instrumental, then I probably would've given it a 7 or maybe even an 8.

Heidevolk: Vulgaris Magistralis: 6/10. Metal with Dutch lyrics, huh. It sounds very much like a ”first album” to me. A bit unrefined, but with some potential (seems this song in particular is a cover byu the Dutch rock band Normaal, which explains why a folk metal band is playing such a technically simple song, I suppose).

Karisma: Stairway to Heavy: 4/10. The recording quality is terrible. The mixing is pretty bad too, with the guitars being too quiet and the vocals are too loud in comparison (as are the drums). The guitarist has some potential, but the rest of the song doesn't really work as it is. Find some other vocalist (or ask the vocalist to change style or improve as a vocalist), get some better recording equipment and mixing, and focus more on the guitars. This band has potential to be good (or at least the guitarist), but I can't recommend this song.

Pachelbel: Canon in D (Best version): 9/10. Is this the best version? I don't think so, since parts of it are played too fast, but it's still a good version of an amazing piece of music.

Set It Off ft. Ash Costello: Partners in Crime: 7/10. Very catchy, good mix, and the symphonic elements are interesting. This song could be really interesting if someone made a metal cover of it. The male singer isn't that great, though.

Iced Earth: Ten Thousand Song: 7/10. The singer reminds me a bit of Dio. It has a heavy sound, and the mix is fairly clean, but something is missing. The ending is nice.

Gamma Ray: 8/10. The Winged Horse: Kai's singing is rather weak in this song, but the intro is really good, The guitar is really, really good though, and the chorus is catchy, so the strengths of this song greatly outweighs the flaws. Would listen again.

No Doubt: Sunday Morning: 6/10. The song is fairly enjoyable, and she has a fairly uncommon. The song is reasonably entertaining, though it's fairly simple and gets repetitive on further listenings.

Van Halen: Little Guitars (Remastered): 6/10. The intro is really good, and then... Eh. The instrumental parts work fairly well, but the singing sounds overly peppy.

Kamelot: Forever: 8/10. Solid, catchy power metal. The melody of the chorus is based on Edvard Grieg's Solveig's Song. Given a choice between the two, I'd rather listen to Grieg's rendition, but this one works too.

Stratovarius: Forever Free: 8/10. The chorus is a bit too cheesy, I think. Still, nice song overall. The drums are mixed a bit too loud considering how repetitive they are, though.

Soilwork: Stabbing the Drama: 4/10 or 5/10. This feels like a significant step down from some of their earlier work. Instead of different melodies and variety, they're going with a fairly generic sound and disappointing chorus.

Last Wail: The Doomed in Despair: 8/10. Reminds me of old Ensiferum, which is a good thing. Very melodic while still managing to retain a heavy sound. Feel a bit like a mix of old Ensiferum and old Thyrfing, overall.

The Arrogant Sons of Bitches: (I Must Be a Proctologist Because) All I Do is Deal With Assholes: 4/10. Like the previous song from this band, this song attempts to be an energy boost. It doesn't quite work and it feels messy, and the harsher vocals sound somewhat whiny and don't really fit the overall happy mood of the music.

Helloween: Silent Rain: 7/10 or 8/10. The chorus feels very Rhapsody, and it works pretty well and is catchy (and cheesy). The guitar is pretty good, the singing is passable, and overall it works pretty well. The guitar solo is really nice.

Queensrÿche: Before the Storm: 7/10 or 8/10. The vocalist sounds like a slightly worse Bruce Dickinson, which isn't too bad, I suppose. Solid song overall.

Fenrir: Whisperers of the Old World: 4/10. It has a very raw, ”demo” sound. The guitars sound bad, the music doesn't really mesh well with the singer, and overall it feels rough and not in a good way. There's some potential in there, though. Oh hey, I looked it up and this is, indeed, from their first demo. So I suppose I can't be too hard on them for the low production value. I listened to some of their other stuff and it sounded much better, so there's that.

ZZ TOP: Burger Man: 7/10 or 8/10. It sounds like ”Let's listen to some rock music and have a good time”. It sounds kind of swingy, with a good rhythm, high production quality, and decent enough singing. I quite like the guitars.

PMV: The Entertainer: 9/10. The video is blocked for me, but I'm going to go ahead and assume it's Scot Joplin's The Entertainer.

Gamma Ray: Time To Break Free: 9/10: The singing reminds me a bit of some thrash metal bands like Anthrax or Megadeth, which is interesting (better singing than I'd usually expect from Kai Hansen). The verses pack a punch, while the chorus is catchy without being too cheesy. Oh, and a technical and really good guitar solo as well? I'm sold.

Woodtemple: Path of the Runes: 7/10. It's cool. Could've been more varied.

Blind Guardian: 8/10. Old Blind Guardian was certainly different from new Blind Guardian. Still good though. Great drumming, great vocals, lots of energy. This song reminds me of Metallica's first album (it specifically reminds me of the song ”Motorbreath”).

Demon Hunter: 5/10. They want to sound heavy, and then the chorus comes and ruins that. Even then, the verses are not that good. The guitar solo is pretty good though.

Sonata Arctica: Victoria's Secret: 8/10. A lot of Finnish metal bands seem to really like their keyboards, eh? Still, it's fun, fairly varied, and very melodic. Nice guitar solos.

The Outlaws: Green Grass and High Tides: 8/10. The guitar is really good, but the chorus is kind of meh. Still, the guitar is enough to carry the song. If this song were instrumental it'd easily be a 9. Those guitar solos are incredible. The last 4 minutes of the song could be their own song and it'd be a 9.

Wow, I've caught up? Cool. Let's celebrate with some classical music (Beethoven, probably the most famous part of his 9th Symphony).

2/10 Horrible recording. Beethoven's music isn't rate-able - he was one of the greatest composers of all time. So why not try something a bit more risky so we can rip it to shreds like you do others.

9 hours ago, Ironic Nickname said:

Gamma Ray: Time To Break Free: 9/10: The singing reminds me a bit of some thrash metal bands like Anthrax or Megadeth, which is interesting (better singing than I'd usually expect from Kai Hansen). The verses pack a punch, while the chorus is catchy without being too cheesy. Oh, and a technical and really good guitar solo as well? I'm sold.

Aye, it's actually a different singer (Michael Kiske) who sang on that track. c:

10/10, that was loads of fun :yay:

A reminder: I consider anything above 7 to be a good score, and 5 and above to be a passing grade.

30 Seconds to Mars: The Kill (Bury Me): 3/10. First, the good parts: The drumming is decent, and mixes well with the guitars and bass. The guitar is pretty cool at parts. The bad parts: The vocals sound whiny, lack energy, lack catchiness, lack impressive technical skill. The song is overall rather simple, would it kill them to throw in a guitar solo?

Firebird: Caledonia: 6/10. Rock with a blues feel? Could be very interesting. Unfortunately, this song is a bit repetitive, though it's solid overall.

Animal Alpha: Most Wanted Cowboy: 5/10. The vocals sound overproduced. They're not bad, but sound a bit off. The chorus sounds a bit like a cacophony, with very little melody or harmony (or catchiness). The verses work better than the chorus, and the guitar sometimes makes some interesting sounds.

Unleash the Archers: Shadow Guide: 7/10 or 8/10. Really nice mix of drums and guitars. The singer is skilled, although perhaps harsher and/or more aggressive vocals would fit this song better (as we notice later in the song). Good guitar solo. Overall enjoyable song.

Peter Doyle: Rusty Hands of Time: 8/10. Nice harmonies, lots of different instruments working together to create a nice vibe.

Def Leppard: Bringin' on the Heartbreak: 8/10. Really nice guitars, good vocals, very catchy chorus. Fun times!

AcousticBrony & MandoPony: Loyalty: 7/10. Very The Offspring-esque. It has some variety, melodies, and an overall peppy feel.

We haven't had any melodic death metal (or any heavier types metal at all) in a while now, have we? Let's remedy that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgvnrjgLDtI

I rate this 7/10. A bit biased because I'm really not a Rammstein fan, this specific song is pretty nice though. 
Continuing with some more metal! (Video contains some violence so don't look if you're not into it.) :D

Spoiler

Edited by Corvino
  • Brohoof 1

Rammstein: Sonne:7/10. This is probably my personal favourite of Rammstein's song (out of the ones I've heard, anyway). This song has some good parts and bad parts. The verses are oversimplified, slow, and don't really work all that well. What carries this song is the chorus (which occurs quite often in this song). Why do I find the chorus enjoyable? A few reasons. The female vocals add a nice tune which combines well with his singing and the overall ”feel” of the song.

Maybe I'm overrating this song. Or maybe I'm not, I'm not sure.

Oh, and as for genres, Rammstein is more rock than metal (Neue Deutsche Härte, to be specific). Which is basically hard rock music with industrial-ish influences.

Powerwolf: In the Name of God: 7/10. I like the pre-chorus. The chorus isn't too bad. I like the harpsichord-like keyboards too. It's a nice song overall.

Here's some melodic death metal with symphonic/neo-classical influences. More harpsichord-like keyboards!

Edited by Ironic Nickname