Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rate song, then post another!

Marshmallow

6.5/10, I like classical / orchestral music but I found it to be boring. As part of an OST, maybe it is more impactful during he scene but for what it is... painfully average. 

Orchestral music and death metal converge into quite a wonderful little subgenre :) 

• Brohoof 1

8.5/10, can never have too much Priest. Speaking of, @Fehlipeeno Froid, you heard the new Judas Priest album? Shit seriously slays, I'd say it's right up their with some of their classic like Painkiller and Screaming for Vengeance. Not quite Defenders of the Faith, but a great fucking album!

Posted in the metal thread a short while ago- have some great 2018 post-black metal. Such a warm, washing guitar tone~

Edited by Twiliscael

That's some pretty good stuff, even if it's not to my tastes! 8/10. :)

I'm not quite sure why, but the album cover reminded me of this song (sorry if you're not a Deathcore fan! :rarity:):

Spoiler

• Brohoof 2

I've always thought that Punk music was very underappreciated! That song is the epitome of that! :yay: 10/10!

I'm not quite sure if this counts as Punk or not, but it does sound pretty similar! 

Spoiler

That song is pretty good, but it's a bit long for my tastes; I usually prefer songs to be about 4-6 minutes. Either way, 7/10. :)

If any of you guys and gals are fans of Power Metal, than you ought to like this one! :D

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

Power metal... one of the few subgenres of metal I have a hard time getting into. 6/10 :c

1 hour ago, Recherche said:

I'm not quite sure why, but the album cover reminded me of this song (sorry if you're not a Deathcore fan! :rarity:):

Pffft of course I am. However, when Born of Osiris lost Jason Richardson they devolved into boring chugcore while overdosing on synth. He really made their guitar work impressive and interesting from a technical standpoint, and knew how to write cohesive songs. For great BoO, check out The Discovery or The New Reign (or in fact, the remaster of it The Eternal Reign sounds even better) for some upper echelon modern deathcore ;) 

One of the most important (and polarizing) bands in metal today, I present to you: Deafheaven. Mixing icy black metal with warm shoegaze and an indie aesthetic, along with truly beautiful and depressing lyrics is a hella interesting and unique band and sound in uncharted waters- one in which many black metal fans fucking hate- but one in which many also fucking adore

Sunbather put them on the map, and is a near perfect record, and New Bermuda cemented their place amongst the elite.

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Twiliscael said:

Power metal... one of the few subgenres of metal I have a hard time getting into. 6/10 :c

Hey, I get it; it's not for everyone! :)

As for the song you posted, it's among one of the most unique Metal songs I've heard in quite a while! I actually like it! ^_^ 8//10. I can kinda see why it's divisive among metalheads, but I don't see anything wrong with it; the main draw of Metal is the versatility, if you ask me! :)

I'll admit, though; I'm not the biggest fan of Black Metal, so I can only think of one other Black Metal song that I kinda like (you've probably already heard it, though! :rarity:).

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

Don't even have to listen, I know Immortal like the back of my hand. 8.5/10, a great Immortal song on arguably their worst album... check out At The Heart of Winter and/or Sons of Darkness for some grim and frostbitten black metal from hell :) 

There's something to be said for the lil guy out there with such an ego and "I'm the shit" persona while also being lowkey depressed as a motherfucker, while also being one of the more iconic voices in the modern trap scene- plus he sounded great when I saw him live in August! The beat in this song is seriously 🔥, it has so many subtle changes and variations throughout.

• Brohoof 1

Alrighty, I'll check out those albums some time soon!

Also, that's another pretty interesting song... I'm not too keen on rap, hip-hop, or trap, but that song is pretty cool! :) 8/10.

I'm sorry to put another Power metal song here, but it's just too good not to! :please: I hope you agree!

Spoiler

• Brohoof 2

6/10, I have tried getting into Sabaton before but... eh. I can't shake the cheesiness of most power metal, and to me it sounds like thrash-lite and old school, Dream Theater-esque prog had a baby.

34 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Also, that's another pretty interesting song... I'm not too keen on rap, hip-hop, or trap, but that song is pretty cool! :) 8/10.

Trap can be pretty cool, alot of trippy cloud-rap/psychedelic beats thrown in the mix. It's more just something to get lost in, less than something to analyze too critically. Playboi Carti has the ultimate "don't think about it, just get entranced by the music" sound in the game right now. Can be quite trippy, and quite cathartic to just lay back and get lost in.

Some shoegazey, psychpop/post-rock for the kiddos (this one is for the rating):

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Twiliscael said:

6/10, I have tried getting into Sabaton before but... eh. I can't shake the cheesiness of most power metal, and to me it sounds like thrash-lite and old school, Dream Theater-esque prog had a baby.

Well, at least you got a good history lesson! :D

Anyways, I have conflicted opinions about the songs you posted. I don't like Location (at all...), but Starting over was pretty nice! As for a cumulative score, I would give it a 6/10 for a meh song, and a pretty good song!

This is a song I forgot to mention when we were talking about rap, trap, and hip-hop. This is a song my older brother liked, but I'm not the biggest fan. :wat: I'm curious as to what you think of it...

Spoiler

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 1

Know it already, 6.5/10. 21 Savage is capable of spitting heat, but other times he's dreadfully, dreadfully boring. That song is among the latter, but gets bumped up a bit because I like spooky, piano-based beat. If anything, alot of these newer-wave trap artists aren't bad... just inconsistent. They can and do occasionally rap some impressive bars that go well with the beat and sound they're going for, but other times they are just so uninspired and boring.

The beat in this song sounds almost like something Calypso-inspired, but with a weird almost "underwater" filter over the whole thing. Addictive, earwormy tunes, I'll tell ya.

... just because I like underground music doesn't mean I also can't like painfully basic music :L

8/10

That bass tho.

Can't say I 'get' this kind of music fully. But, well, it's quite fire tbh. :please:

16 hours ago, Twiliscael said:

8.5/10, can never have too much Priest. Speaking of, @Fehlipeeno Froid, you heard the new Judas Priest album? Shit seriously slays, I'd say it's right up their with some of their classic like Painkiller and Screaming for Vengeance. Not quite Defenders of the Faith, but a great fucking album!

Oh yes. It's definitely up to Painkiller levels of awesome. \m/

What's more amazing is how well Rob's voice has held up. :wacko:

Time for some old school thrash.

Song starts at around 1:00 if you want to skip the intro. :please:

• Brohoof 2

HAH. I can skip the whole thing, I like that whole album. Still listening to it though, haven't heard in a long while. 8.5/10, for some solid classic thrash \m/ I figure Heathen should have been more popular than they ever were :( 

Since I'm now on a rap kick, have some newer Kanye... many dislike this album compared to Kanye's older work, and I agree it isn't at the same level as The College Dropout, My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy, or Graduation in terms of lyrical content, unique beats, or just having the charm that makes Kanye's music so special, but I think it's a solid entry in his catalogue- at the very least, better than the self-indulgent Yeezus. Same great sampling, great usage of features to accentuate the better parts of the song, and an enjoyable ride all the way throughout. Shame he's such a fuckin' asshole now, but he sure knows how to maintain his dominance at the forefront of the music industry.

Edit: Plus it has Ultralight Beam on which may be the best song he's ever composed, for real :confused:

9 minutes ago, Fehlipeeno Froid said:

Oh yes. It's definitely up to Painkiller levels of awesome. \m/

What's more amazing is how well Rob's voice has held up. :wacko:

I KNOW HE SOUNDS AMAZING STILL *fangirl squee*

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

Another pretty okay rap song... it's not bad at all, but rap isn't really the genre for me, honestly. Regardless, 7/10. :)

I'm feeling kinda thrashy right now, so I guess I'll post this here...

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

THIS HOW WE TURN YOUR BORING PARTY INTO ART! 10/10, Municipal Waste is one of the best thrash bands in the scene right now, and you picked their best album. Fuck yeah dude :pinkie: They may not be the most original, playing some more standard anthemic newer-wave thrash, but they know exactly how to make banger after banger after banger! Shame their last two albums haven't been up to the standard they set for themselves...

Time for some Rings of Saturn- overproduced to hell, but they sure knows how to SWEEEEEEP, write some sick fucking breakdowns, and have interesting melodies for deathcore, as well incorporate exploding Gameboy synth to really accentuate the spacey, almost trippy sound they have going for them. Was supposed to see them live last Tuesday, show was cancelled due to the weather being atrocious :/

Edited by Twiliscael

... yikes, the 80’s cheese is strong with this one. Sorry, stereotypical 80’s music is amongst my least favorite type- 3.5/10 :(  Glad you like Rings though, your taste isn’t beyond saving!

God damn I love The Strokes’ first album...

Edited by Twiliscael