Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rate song, then post another!

Marshmallow

6/10 not bad, just not my steez. Adele (and by extension whoever was covering that) has a great voice, but it takes more than that to make me care very much about a song. 

6/10 not too keen on that style of overproduced, newer-wave metalcore. In general I find it a bit too formulaic and cookie-cutter, you can show me most newer metalcore bands and they’ll all sound the same to me. Plus the constant switchup to that popified, higher-pitched clean vocalist throws me for a loop :( 

When I listen to some metalcore I typically shoot for some of the rougher, old-school style bands over the newer ones. I like my metalcore to have a more prominent hardcore sound, that’s why it’s called “core” anyhow. A lot of newer deathcore and metalcore bands are missing the more hardcore punk elements besides just the breakdowns.

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not the biggest fan of the (blank)core subgenres of metal, but there sometimes comes a core band that I like. In my opinion, that song (and probably the group as a whole) is... decent. It's better than most of what core has to offer, but I've personally heard better. Regardless, 6/10. :)

Since I'm running low on songs, I decided to dig up some songs that I used to listen to, so don't be surprised if you find a lot of rubbish! :please: With that said, this is a Deathcore band that I used to listen to a bit:

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

Nah man 8.5/10, Impending Doom is tough! Solid traditional deathcore. They’re a Christian band actually, but they play a pretty heavy damn version of it!

New Rivers of Nihil album was pretty f-ing sweet tbh.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Soaring Symphony said:

6/10  The instrumentals are pretty kiss ass but I prefer to actually be able to understand what the singer is saying.  He sounds like a garbage disposal with rocks in it.

That's the point of the singer I guess. It's supposed to sound like a garbage disposal. :wacko:

7/10

Really catchy :wacko:

Edited by Fehlipeeno Froid

8/10 some badass riffing going on in that tune for sure! I like it!

14 minutes ago, Soaring Symphony said:

6/10  The instrumentals are pretty kiss ass but I prefer to actually be able to understand what the singer is saying.  He sounds like a garbage disposal with rocks in it.

The harsh vocals in metal are more about the sound they create than the words they speak- it’s like another instrument or sound thrown into the mix rather than a word delivery system like the voice is traditionally used in music. 

It might be for the better that you can’t understand them for the most part...

And for my tune: 

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 2

Not bad at all! I like it quite a lot! :D 9/10.

This is a song that I used to listen to a lot, but I kinda forgot about it after a period of time passed. :pout: It's... kinda plain in retrospect, but hey, I can never predict what you will like or dislike! :)

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

Yes! 8.5/10, I do love me my blackened thrash music, especially when it is a one-man band. Impressive stuff, impressive stuff. Toxic Holocaust is sweet.

... but Deströyer 666 is sweeter ;) 

• Brohoof 1

That song is pretty damn sweet, but I just can't listen to a song for 10 minutes. :scoots: I would give it an 8/10, but the length made me put it at a 7/10. :sunshower:

Speaking of good songs that are just... way too damn long. :huh:

Spoiler

• Brohoof 2

9/10 great Ensiferum track from a great Ensiferum album :) 

51 minutes ago, Recherche said:

That song is pretty damn sweet, but I just can't listen to a song for 10 minutes. :scoots: I would give it an 8/10, but the length made me put it at a 7/10. :sunshower:

Hide contents

Shame! I like longer songs in metal because it allows the artists to develop an idea and run with it for a lot longer- usualy it has an atypical/non-traditional structure as well which makes it less predictable and more engaging than just the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus predictable hogwash I’m too used to. Plus if I’m listening to a 45 minute long album, I don’t particularly care how that time is split up.

On the flipside of the coin, I do like my grindcore immensely and that is a genre completely centered around ridiculously short tracks.

(I figure 2 1 minute long tracks can substitute as 1 song :P)

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, you want short music? I'll give you short music! :bedeyes:

(Oh, and I would rate those two songs about a 5/10. There's not a whole lot to them, if you get what I mean. :pout: The album artwork is neat, though!)

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

9.5/10 Napalm Death are the grindcore OGs- they really pioneered the genre!

16 minutes ago, Recherche said:

(Oh, and I would rate those two songs about a 5/10. There's not a whole lot to them, if you get what I mean. :pout: The album artwork is neat, though!)

Yeah I understand, with such short songs it’s more about listening through the 20-30 minute album and absorbing that as a whole than listening to individual tracks- for the most part.

GOJIRA

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

Good call- Gojira means Godzilla in Japanese ;) 

I give that song a 7/10, it is good and goes well with the movie but as a stand-alone I don’t see myself listening to it on my own time. Still solid stuff.

• Brohoof 2

7.5/10, hard rock like that ain't quite my vibe anymore (talk to me 10 years ago and my mind would be different) but I can't say I didn't and don't like it :)  I had a Switchfoot album or two in my CD collection- probably still do somewhere.

Layin' down the trippy jams for the kiddos. Those arpeggios are nothing short of enchanting <3 

Edited by Twiliscael

The cheese is too strong with this one... cheese/10.

This is what happens when you let nerds into the orchestral deathcore scene.

This band is named after this:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20071018220650

Which is commanded by him:

Spoiler

1600px-H2A_-_Rtas_in_Wraith.png

From this beautiful game right here:

Spoiler

38333-halo-2-xbox-front-cover.jpg

Their new single, posted below, is fire.